What to do with my single corydoras fry

nj278

I had my first cory egg hatch yesterday! I've got it in a food-safe container thats inside a breeder net at the moment (I think it would probably fit out the holes in the net), but I'm not sure what to do with it. I've got a spare 5 gallon in the cupboard, as well a sponge filter and heater in there too. I'm just a bit nervous about the fact it's not cycled.

I just don't know what to do for the best chance of this little guy surviving!

MMac

Is your plant heavily planted? Does he have places to hide? I used to have a hang on tank nursery for them, but they always found a way into the big tank and seemed to do okay. Now I just let them breed in the tank from egg to fry and beyond and they do well. But I have a heavily planted tank with lots of rock crevices. So lots of places to hide. I even have shrimplets that are doing well too.

The first fry I had I actually took a gallon water bottle (crystal geyser because it is square). I cut it down and then cut the sides out and glued screen material to it and hung it in the tank. It was a little ghetto, but I grew about eggs out in that and it worked well. That was in a 20 gal long tank.

nj278

Is your plant heavily planted? Does he have places to hide? I used to have a hang on tank nursery for them, but they always found a way into the big tank and seemed to do okay. Now I just let them breed in the tank from egg to fry and beyond and they do well. But I have a heavily planted tank with lots of rock crevices. So lots of places to hide. I even have shrimplets that are doing well too.

The first fry I had I actually took a gallon water bottle (crystal geyser because it is square). I cut it down and then cut the sides out and glued screen material to it and hung it in the tank. It was a little ghetto, but I grew about eggs out in that and it worked well. That was in a 20 gal long tank.
Thanks for that. I wouldn't call it heavily planted (yet), but it does have some plants. I don't think there's enough to protect this little guy from my angel or rams yet though.

I was thinking of trying to do something like that, but I'm not sure what I would use for the screen part. What sort of glue did you use?

I would just leave it where it is, but I had three eggs and they all looked to have hatched, except two must have figured out the escape route.

MoshJosh

I love hang on breeder boxes and floating breeder boxes, neither go empty when you do a water change.

I put a piece of filter foam in the outlet of my hang on boxes to ensure fry dont escape. . .

Here are the type I use/like: Fluval breeder box

nj278

I love hang on breeder boxes and floating breeder boxes, neither go empty when you do a water change.

I put a piece of filter foam in the outlet of my hang on boxes to ensure fry dont escape. . .

Here are the type I use/like: Fluval breeder box
Thanks. I've got a couple of plastic floating breeder boxes but my guppy fry used to get out of those, so I'm sure a tiny little corydoras would too. I've got a net one (that I'm sort of using) but this little guy seems even smaller than the mesh.

I've wanted to get a hang on one, but my main tank has a big glass rim (about 5cm or 2 inches) around the entire edge, so I have a feeling that a hang on one simply wouldn't fit. I haven't been able to find anything with the dimensions of the part that is meant to hang on so can't be sure. One would fit on one of my other tanks though, which should have identical parameters, so I could use one of those...

This is what I've got going on currently

20220123_153326.jpg

MMac

Thanks for that. I wouldn't call it heavily planted (yet), but it does have some plants. I don't think there's enough to protect this little guy from my angel or rams yet though.

I was thinking of trying to do something like that, but I'm not sure what I would use for the screen part. What sort of glue did you use?

I would just leave it where it is, but I had three eggs and they all looked to have hatched, except two must have figured out the escape route.
I just used some aluminum screen we had laying around. I used gel superglue which is completely inert when it hits water. I hung it low enough that water changes didn't bother it. I used bamboo skewers stuck through the bottle and criss-crossed and taped them to the tank and let the water bottle hang freely. Like I said, it was a little ghetto, but it worked in a pinch. Nice thing about it is you don't have to worry about water temp, etc. Also, if you can put a bubble stone in with it to help keep the water oxygenated that is a good thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if you see the other two in the tank at some point when they get a little bigger. I hope they are safe from your other fish.

Good luck.

nj278

I just used some aluminum screen we had laying around. I used gel superglue which is completely inert when it hits water. I hung it low enough that water changes didn't bother it. I used bamboo skewers stuck through the bottle and criss-crossed and taped them to the tank and let the water bottle hang freely. Like I said, it was a little ghetto, but it worked in a pinch. Nice thing about it is you don't have to worry about water temp, etc. Also, if you can put a bubble stone in with it to help keep the water oxygenated that is a good thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if you see the other two in the tank at some point when they get a little bigger. I hope they are safe from your other fish.

Good luck.
Thank you for that. I found one of the others stuck in the net, alive but a bit disoriented. I think I've figured out something temporarily (it's getting late and I'm going out for dinner). I'm floating the little container in the tank, and plan on using a 20mL syringe to change a little bit of the water a few times a day. I imagine that there's 200mL in the container, so it will be a few 10% water changes.

Hopefully one day I'll be able to let the eggs hatch in the tank and have a few survive, but given that I have had two cory's lay over the past week and I ended up with 7 eggs between them (the angelfish and tetras got the rest I think), my odds don't seem great at the moment.

MMac

I just used some aluminum screen we had laying around. I used gel superglue which is completely inert when it hits water. I hung it low enough that water changes didn't bother it. I used bamboo skewers stuck through the bottle and criss-crossed and taped them to the tank and let the water bottle hang freely. Like I said, it was a little ghetto, but it worked in a pinch.

Good luck.

Thank you for that. I found one of the others stuck in the net, alive but a bit disoriented. I think I've figured out something temporarily (it's getting late and I'm going out for dinner). I'm floating the little container in the tank, and plan on using a 20mL syringe to change a little bit of the water a few times a day. I imagine that there's 200mL in the container, so it will be a few 10% water changes.

Hopefully one day I'll be able to let the eggs hatch in the tank and have a few survive, but given that I have had two cory's lay over the past week and I ended up with 7 eggs between them (the angelfish and tetras got the rest I think), my odds don't seem great at the moment.
Sounds good. Hope the little guy that got stuck is fine. Also, Corys will eat their own eggs. Mine do that often if I don't catch them and move them before the always hungry parents get to them. The ones that seem to survive are the ones the mom hides deep in my java moss. The ones on the glass seem to always get eaten. That is usually how I know that I have eggs. Two or three of them are dancing up and down the glass.

Thanks nj278 - the mention of filter foam on the outlet of the hang on tank is brilliant. I might even start collecting eggs again!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
junebug
Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
Jeroen712
Replies
Views