What to do with my mollies.

SpecialPatrolGroup

I'm sorry in advance for the long post. Thank you for reading.

When we got our very first tropical tank last year, it was for my daughter. She'd done a tonne of research and decided on mollies.

So, off we went and got her two balloon mollies. Super cute, great personalities. Sadly, one of them injured herself a couple of months later and died. The other one sadly died, too, after digging in the rocks and getting stuck :-(

Moving forward 12 months and we have a really big community tank, a LOT more experience, and the mollies we have (3 x female) are healthy and thriving.

The problem is, I hate two of them. Like ... HATE them. They're ugly as sin, stupid as a bag of hair, boring as watching paint dry and worse, one of them is a real bully.

In that tank I also have several guppies that I raised from fry, another little group of fry that were born yesterday (they're in a breeder box in the same tank) a very large platy, a Bristlenose pleco, and six albino cories. Discovered last night that one of them is spawning - it's like a nursery in there at the moment lol.

It's a super happy, peaceful tank except for the mollies. I had a female betta in there too (Winnie) and she was awesome. She LOVED it, her colours were rich and vibrant - she was easily my favourite.

Yesterday, she died. Nothing had changed. Water fine, everything fine - dead Winnie.

I'm almost completely sure it's because of the mollies. Winnie and I had this awesome little game at feeding time because the mollies are so greedy and pushy - she would hang in the top of one of the plants, I'd feed the others to distract them, and then I'd feed her. It was cool, she was so smart.

But the mollies did push her around and although the platy is the law enforcement arm of the tank, and intervenes when she sees any shenanigans, I'm still certain that the mollies are behind it.

It's the last straw for me. I loathe them. So what do I do? Rehoming might be an option but unless I know where they're going, I wouldn't want to send them to a crappy life. Euthanasia is another option but ... no.

Is there are third option?

BigManAquatics

Put them in a seperate tank is a 3rd maybe possible option.

Upvote 0

FreshFins

Maybe a pet store would take them? Euthanasia is an option, but it doesn’t seem right at all. I think there is a way to sell fish on here, as I’ve seen others do so. Or like BettasAnonymous said another tank would be an option.

Upvote 0

SpecialPatrolGroup

We already have four tanks in the house and none of them would be suitable - they're smaller to start with, and I wouldn't want the mollies then to act up because they have less room.

So, I guess you could say that I care about their welfare, I just think they're idiots lol

After I found Winnie I was tempted to put the mollies in the goldfish pond out the back but it's a very cold winter here in Australia so I'd better not.

(That was a joke - I would not put any of my aquarium fish in the pond. Plus, I adore my goldies and that would be too disruptive an addition!)

Upvote 0

JEGuerra

We already have four tanks in the house and none of them would be suitable - they're smaller to start with, and I wouldn't want the mollies then to act up because they have less room.

So, I guess you could say that I care about their welfare, I just think they're idiots lol

After I found Winnie I was tempted to put the mollies in the goldfish pond out the back but it's a very cold winter here in Australia so I'd better not.

(That was a joke - I would not put any of my aquarium fish in the pond. Plus, I adore my goldies and that would be too disruptive an addition!)
Honestly, if they're bein that much of a nuisance your best bet would just to sell em ( for store credit) or donate em to your local fish store

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Baker843
  • Molly
Replies
Views
Baker843
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank Is My Molly Pregnant?
  • XoxoDesireeXoxo
  • Molly
Replies