What to do with my 5 gal!?

Butters

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It's not really the inches part, its that swordtails grow to be 4 inches long and are pretty active fish that need room to move and stretch their fins out.
If you could make it a heavily planted tank then you could try a pair of sparkling gouramis. They are pretty little fish that grow to about 1.5 inches MAX and don't need the swimming room as say danios or swordtails.

Blub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hmm, you could try an oscar, a few angelfishes and throw in an arowana if you want, Just kidding

You could put like 2-3 platies
OR
1 male betta
probably 2 female bettas
a(1) dwarf gourami
3 swordtales
2-3 cherry barbs
1 flame gourami
3 hatchets
a colony of shrimp
Thats really it....
1 male Betta = Fine

2 Female Betta = You might as well be throwing in 2 males - they can get very aggresive to each other.

3 Swordtails = Swordtails need at least a 20gal tank. Enough said?

2-3 Cherry barbs = That may work, but Cherrys are really schoolers.

3 Hatchets = No! Hatchets are STRICTLY schooling fish who really need at least 20 gal (or 10gal long).

A Colony of shrimp = That would be fine!

Dane

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks again everyone! I'm still undecided, but swaying towards a dwarf puffer... :) Or maaaybe a betta if my shop gets in a particularly nice crowntail... Shrimp are also a cool idea, unfortunately my shop doesn't sell them, not even feeders.

ShaynaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I vote betta! I have two of my boys in 5 gallon tanks (each has their own, of course!) and they love them!

(Sorry PFP, I haven't been swayed to the puffer side of things yet! )

ShaynaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Aww don't be sad! If I had it my way, I'd set up another tank in a heart beat. But my parents have threatened doom and destruction if I set up one more tank. The first tank I set up when I *finally someday maybe possibly* get my own place will probably be a puffer tank.

pinkfloydpuffer

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Aww don't be sad! If I had it my way, I'd set up another tank in a heart beat. But my parents have threatened doom and destruction if I set up one more tank. The first tank I set up when I *finally someday maybe possibly* get my own place will probably be a puffer tank.
Oh good.
My parents are the same way... yet somehow I ended up with 4 tanks. They only wanted one LOL. But I have my 80, so I will respect their wishes from now on. ;D

ShaynaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh good.
My parents are the same way... yet somehow I ended up with 4 tanks. They only wanted one LOL. But I have my 80, so I will respect their wishes from now on. ;D
I've got 4 as well. My main problem is that I really have no more space to put any more tanks and my dad has put his foot down and said no to a nice community tank for the living room. Dads...

I've got 2 more tanks in storage waiting for when I move out! >

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom