What To Do With Molly Fry

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Wilson43, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Wilson43New MemberMember

I've got a 30gal planted tank that is thriving to the point that my Molly fry are also thriving. The female had about 30 or so fry one night and of that batch, more than 10 have survived to the size where they cannot be consumed by the other fish. My worry now is that I'll end up with an overcrowded tank as they grow to maturity. What do people do with these guys? Also, is there an issue with them interbreeding from the same parents? The female looks pregnant again, so assume this cycle will continue indefinitely. I've attached a pic so you can get an idea of the current population. You can't really see the fry in that because they're white and tiny (and hiding).

Attached Files:

2. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

You could always sell the fry, or donate them to a LFS.

3. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Eventually, it will get overcrowded, what most people do is see if their lfs will take them (sometimes for credit, sometimes not) or sell them on fishlore, or give them away to friends and family.

4. Wilson43New MemberMember

I'd be happy to give them away, but seems like LFS would be hesitant to just take a bunch of fish from some random dude with a tank. Does petsmart normally take fry, or would I have to go to the boutique aquarium store?

5. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Most LFS's will take "donations" and will put the fish up for adoption (on a lower price than normal).

6. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Petsmart doesn't take adoptions, petco does though. Any local store would be worth asking too

7. GuanchyWell Known MemberMember

I guess depend on your area. The 2 petcos around my area do not take donations either.

Honestly, unless you have a plan for the fry of any fish you keep i wouldnt breed them.You will find homes for these ones but they will just continue to have fry every 30 days or so. I would just try to find homes for the ones now and if you want to keep the mollies just maybe keep males. It seems like thats what you are doing with your guppies, they seem to be all male.

8. RavenahraValued MemberMember

Definitely get a plan in place for what to do with molly fry because you'll have more.

Fun facts about mollies.
    There is no breeding season. Females can give birth to fry every month, 12 months a year.

Mollies can get pregnant right after giving birth, so as long as there is a Male in the tank, all the females will be pregnant and giving birth about once per month.

Mollies can give birth to three litters from one encounter with a Male. So just because a female just gave birth doesn't mean she's not still pregnant.

Mollies can store sperm for 3 months. So, even ifou you separate the males and females the females can still have litters for up to 6 more months.

I put my Male molly in his own tank in August and was still dealing with fry in December.

If you local stores and local fish keepers wont/cant take the fry then other options are larger/more tanks split by gender or euthanizing the fry.

9. Wilson43New MemberMember

Thanks for the info. I think we lucked out on the Guppies being all male. The kids just picked the ones they liked. Now I'll just need to convince my wife to get another tank :) so we can separate the male and female molly. The rainbow shark is also starting to get a little aggressive with the guppies, so maybe even more of a reason. Maybe a 55gal

10. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

As terrible as this would sound to your kids, you could use the fry to feed other fish....that's how it works in the wild and most of the time they get eaten by their parents when they're small enough

11. Wilson43New MemberMember

Well, that's just the thing. I'm not NOT feeding them to the other fish. I don't separate the female and the fry. The last time she had babies, only two survived to be about a half inch long or big enough to not be eaten.

12. Meganrae8148Valued MemberMember

I had like 4 Betta all in there own tank 2 in there own 5 gal n 2 in a 10 divided. My friend has guppys and hers breed like crazy she feeds them to her flowerhorn lol circle of life when they're that small u don't feed bad. When they're bigger for some reason u feel bad or at least I do lol. Sometimes she give me them n i feed them to my betta. Recently I bought 3 guppy one turned out to be a girl I guess. Had babies they ate all expect one. I actually caught the one and hoping it grows up and is a beautiful boy! Other then that If they don't keep the population under control guess the betta will be having live instead of blood worms and betta pellets lol...