What to do with mean brown ugly "muttfish" I don't want anymore?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by beautyfish, Apr 2, 2010.

1. b

beautyfish New Member Member

My friend guilted me into taking her old fish that she had bread and turned out terrible. I call them "muttfish". They try to eat everything--plants, other fish, themselves in the glass, eachother. They are ugly as heck--all muddy brown and stuff. they are hurting my tetras and i need them gone ASAP. like they ate 3 in the past 2 hours. What do I do?!

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

If they were my fish, I'd give them an ice bath. The LSF is unlikely to take in your muttfish. That's assuming you can't get them their own tank.

3. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

Give them back I suppose. If no one wants them, and you havethe clout for it, since they are eating your other fish; last resort is to euthanize. Like I said and I stress last resort, and make sure to use a proper method. Tough dillemma

4. OP
    OP
    b

But i don't have the guts to euthenize!!! :(

5. OP
    OP
    b

after research i have found they are FEDER GUPPIES :))))) maybe the LFS will take them!!!

6. blueiristyson

blueiristyson Valued Member Member

Maybe if you can afford it set up a tank just for that one "Muttfish". I have two tanks. One for Goldfish and one for a large , aggressive Jack Dempsey. Image if I put my JD and 2 Goldfish in the same tank...lol. I hope you figure it out and please try not to Euthanize if you dont have too.

7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

HAHAHA, I was picturing some SA cichlid hybrid :)

8. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

.....just throwing my two cents in but guppies are generally peaceful and don't kill anything really. I mean they are usually the ones getting killed. Post a picture to be certain because I've never heard of a guppy killing tetras....

9. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

E_watson, that is a point. Are you sure the feeder guppies are gobbling up the tetras? I doubt they could fit anything larger than a mosquito larva into their mouths. People call them "feeder guppies" because they're supposed to get eaten, not eat other fish.

10. CHoffman

CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

I agree. Doesn't sound like any guppy I've ever seen. You can try to rehome them with someone that has a aggressive tank. But you'll need to know what they are first to give them the best shot at a new life.

11. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

plus if you look at the OP tank description I believe she has 14 fish in a 10 gallon tank and then on top of that she's never tested her water and with that many fish I have no doubt she probably has water problem especially since 6 of the 14 are these "muttfish" that she just added. She also said in the info that she thinks they're molly mixes so that means they're larger than guppies which means more waste so what's killing her fish is likely a mini cycle.....

but that's just my input..

12. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I have mean fancy guppies. I watched them chase down and kill two neon tetras in my 55gal. The tank wasn't even remotely over-crowded at the time and all parameters were normal. However, the guppies originally came from a SEVERELY over-crowded tank (the people I got them from off Craigslist had them in a 20 gallon high tank with two 7-9" goldfish, a 14" pleco and probably 150-200 fancy guppies...and no, I'm no exaggerating) that started out with five guppies two years ago and never had new stock introduced, so I'm pretty sure my guppies' aggression was the product of poor breeding/inbreeding. Just throwing that out there so ya'll know that there are aggressive guppies, just not very often.

13. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Holy moly! Why would someone do that?

Beautyfish, I also have a tough time imagining feeder guppies as killing machines. If you haven't actually seen them doing it, I would agree with the others that high ammonia and/or nitrite levels are the more likely culprit.

14. R

Red Tiger New Member Member

If they weren't guppies I would say bread them and put 'em in a skillet. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice