What to do with lone Paleatus?

justonemorefish

I used to have a group of Paleatus, but ended up selling them to make space for a larger group of Sterbai. Nothing against Paleatus, I just prefer the absolute goofiness of Sterbai!
About a month later I found 2 small-ish fry in the tank, which turned out to be Paleatus. One of them is thriving and growing, the other seemed stunted, was about half the size of "Big Brother" and just passed (it's been about 2 months since I found them). I am now trying to figure out what is the best thing to do for the now lonely Paleatus. It schools with the Sterbai and doesn't seem to be in any kind of distress - but maybe I just don't know what to look for?

Is it bad to keep it in the tank it "grew up" in, with the tankmates it's had since it hatched? Will it be lonely? Is it better to give it away? My concern is that Paleatus are the most common type of cory around here, so a "low value" fish and it may not be taken care of as one would wish...

It's not possible for me to get more Paleatus, as I already have 9 Sterbai and "a bunch" (they keep on spawning) of Pygmy, plus 4 Hastatus.

Coradee

Hi, the trouble with him being with sterbai is that they’re at opposite ends of their temperature requirements.
I’d suggest you try & find someone who already has a group of them that he could join.
You could try looking for local fish clubs, if you have independant Lfs near you they often know who locally has what or they may even offer to take him from you, good luck hope you find somewhere for him, let us know :)

Upvote 0

FishDin

Their temp requirements do overlap a little in the mid 70's. I would keep the orphan and keep the temp around 75 degrees. That would be in the high temp range for the Paleatus and the lower range for the Sterbai, but within normal temp range for each.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

Agree with Coradee. There is an overlap in theory but not on the long term.

Besides that I have found Paleatus one of the most social Corys that loves to be with their own species.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mcasella
  • Question
Replies
Views
Zach72202
Replies
Views
Mlou