What to do with Juvi Krib male(?)

1. Hersh54 Initiate Member

My kribs had fry and only one survived our community tank. I now have one juvenile male (I really think it's male, anyway). I noticed it had some color yesterday and appeared to have a blue line down the front fins, but it could have been the light from the tank. We have LOVED watching him grow. He is about an inch long now.

Anyway, he needs to be moved and we don't want to set up another tank, as we're getting ready for a move. Is there a place where we can trade or sell the little guy? The LFS we used went out of business after the big box store moved in (and they don't take trade-ins).

I don't want the krib pair to hurt him. They aren't chasing him today, but I would like to get him taken care of quickly. Suggestions are welcome.

2. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

You could put him up for sale on craigslist or aquabid. If you don't want to ship just say pick up only. You could also try posting an ad in the buy, sell, trade section of the forum maybe a member on here would take him off your hands.

3. tlabella12 Initiate Member

Do you know why only one of your fry survived and how long it took to get down to just one? I'm only asking because I just had my first group of fry and I have about 35 (it's so hard to count the little guys, but I'm pretty sure they started out as at least 40). They will be 3 weeks old tomorrow. My Krib parents viciously defend the babies whenever any fish come near.

I agree with Watson...I'll be trying to sell mine craiglist when they're old enough and I might even try shipping them out on aquabid if I don't get enough local interest.

4. Hersh54 Initiate Member

Thanks for the info. May try craigslist, although we're in a fairly remote area, we may give it a try.
    We first noticed the fry after a vacation, so no idea how old they were exactly. When they got old enough to free-swim around we counted them in the mornings. (Too many to count before that.)
    First there were 7, then 5, then 4 then only 1 that we could find. I do not know if they got caught by the current of the intake on the filter (if so, I think they would still be OK and grow in there until I changed the filter next time... I had a zebra danio do that once! Imagine my surprise at pouring the water out and finding him splashing in there! Luckily I saw him before he was poured out, so I put him back in the tank. He was a bit pale, but otherwise none the worse for wear!)
    Anyway, there are fish flakes etc that would be in there for it to live on for a short time, however, no sign of them, so I assume the other fish ate them while the parents slept.
    We lost one entire batch of fry one night and thought the pleco got them, so we traded the pleco in at the LFS that week (back before it closed as mentioned in an earlier post) - then no fry for a LONG time, so no idea what happened. We had to replace the female last fall and now have had one batch of fry, so maybe she was just getting old & didn't spawn. That's a guess on my part. I got the original pair from my friend who raised them from fry. The male is probably about 4 - 5 years now. And my female is about 3 years old.
    Good luck with your batch of fry. I have added fry grass and that's what this guy hid in and under when the other fish began to lurk about. I also got some fairly dense plants which they grazed as they grew. Sorry, I never fed them anything special, as they seemed to do great with the thin algae coating on the fry grass.
    I assume the other fry just got too adventurous with my community of zebras, and tetras around.