What to do with java fern?

1. C

Ctammy2 Valued Member Member

Is there any good sites with pics for inspiration on what to do with java fern?

Completely new to plants. Purchased 2 java ferns from lfs and put them in my betta tanks. Planted them in the gravel per the fish store instructions. <sigh> Apparently these things are indestructible because they are growing and have tons of roots on their leaves. What can I do with them? Help! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Java fern grows best tied to something. Maybe tied to a piece of driftwood, rock or a decoration.

3. Kindafishy

Kindafishy Valued Member Member

One of the things I like to do is just Google the plant I'm working with and look at the images. Often, I will see something interesting and follow the image link. This may come as a generic answer, but it opens many possibilities.

4. b

bowen747x Valued Member Member

be happy your plant is thriving, a lot of people have bad luck with plants especially the ones that come in those plastic tubes from LFS

5. A

AngelZee Valued Member Member

I dislike stores that sell plants like that. Like why can't they just set up a proper tank with proper lighting for them?

But anyways, google and youtube is the answer my friend :)

Look up tanks with java ferns or sites dedicated to aquascaping and there you will find inspiration.

6. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

That's not always a good thing. Tissue cultured plants are much less likely to bring bacteria and parasites into your tank. I won't buy plants from store tanks at most places. If there's a fish in the tank, I absolutely won't. There's only one store around me with decent plant tanks and they keep only snails in the tanks, no fish.

I have no problem at all buying tissue cultured plants. Just learn to deal with the initial melt :)

7. A

AngelZee Valued Member Member

Well I wouldn't buy them from tanks with fish either.
    I have seen stores that have real nice setups for plants they sell but that is true, they probably are snail free which is good but the ones I have seen, have some dying plants in the tubes. So that's why I said that.

8. b

bowen747x Valued Member Member

ok heres my plant story:

I had a 10 gallon awhile back before I got my current tank, I bought 2 java ferns and maybe an anubias (iirc) from the plastic tubes, they didn't die but they didn't grow either, they just sat there, some people say the plastic tube plants are not aquatic (idk)?? doesn't make much sense how they survive in those...

so after a few months I went back to petco where I got the plants and decided to buy another plant or 2 from there "plant designated" tank which I think cost a little more, they looked nice though. well I guess I didn't rinse them good enough and had a huge snail infestation, it really sucked :( I was removing like 10-15 snails a day and more kept popping up for almost 2 months straight and the plants wernt even big :eek: needless to say ill never buy plants from petco again

with my current tank I bought 12 plants from liveaquaria.com and they sent a very large amount for the price I paid, double what I could have gotten from petco, and they were much bigger and way healthier looking too. I made sure to rinse the plants very very well cuz I didn't want any snails, but I have not seen a single one.

9. OP
    OP
    C

Ctammy2 Valued Member Member

My plants came out of their tanks with fish in them. I was lucky, no snails. Although I have to say, I haven't noticed any of their tanks having snail problems... The java ferns came as a whole bundle of stems, at least 10 per bundle, all elastic banded together, then stuffed into a ceramic ring.

So I just removed them from the ring and elastic, and stuffed the whole bundle into the gravel. Lol Like I said, they must be bullet proof! :D

10. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Java ferns need to have the rhizomes uncovered. I have grown huge ferns on root driftwood. Find a little crevasse in the wood and put the roots in there. Or if you don't have or have room in your tank for wood, planting it is fine as long as the rhizome is uncovered.

The roots growing off the leaves can be a sign of distress in java ferns. They should have little leaves growing off the roots on bigger leaves too. Java ferns are one of the easiest plants to keep alive. Given the right conditions they can grow very large.