What To Do With Goldfish You Cant Keep

Lizzy23

Valued Member
Messages
187
Reaction score
23
Points
53
Experience
1 year
i have a goldfish i rescued from a bad situation but its fully recovered now and i cant keep it forever since its to big to go with my goldfish. i'm not giving it to my local pet store because they have an extremely bad reputation with fish. i since i live in a small town i cant find anyone to take him that has experience with fish, and a pond. i dont know what to do with him a this point.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

Lizzy23

Valued Member
Messages
187
Reaction score
23
Points
53
Experience
1 year
Discus-Tang said:
Sell it on eBay, gumtree etc. If that's not an option you may have to drive somewhere.
i considered that but idk how anyone on ebay can prove they are who they say they are. and i dont own a car...
 

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
2,515
Points
288
Experience
2 years
What size tank does it live in right now? You may have to just wait till your other goldfish are bigger and then add it. I can't really think of anything else.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

Lizzy23

Valued Member
Messages
187
Reaction score
23
Points
53
Experience
1 year
Discus-Tang said:
What size tank does it live in right now? You may have to just wait till your other goldfish are bigger and then add it. I can't really think of anything else.
well the thing is when my smaller goldfish get big enough this goldfish will also be bigger.
 

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
2,515
Points
288
Experience
2 years
The smaller ones grow faster because their growth rate sorta thins out as they get older. Anyway, how big is this goldfish? 6", 7"?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

Lizzy23

Valued Member
Messages
187
Reaction score
23
Points
53
Experience
1 year
Discus-Tang said:
The smaller ones grow faster because their growth rate sorta thins out as they get older. Anyway, how big is this goldfish? 6", 7"?
6"and my other 2 are about 4.5" and 2" how long do you think it will take for them to get big enough?
 

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
2,515
Points
288
Experience
2 years
Lizzy23 said:
6"and my other 2 are about 4.5" and 2" how long do you think it will take for them to get big enough?
You would want the 2" one to be, say maximum 2 inches smaller than the big one so I'd give it a little less than a year. You can speed the process up by putting the temp up to 22-23 Celsius and feeding them twice a day.
 

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,622
Reaction score
3,043
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
Lizzy23 said:
i have a goldfish i rescued from a bad situation but its fully recovered now and i cant keep it forever since its to big to go with my goldfish. i'm not giving it to my local pet store because they have an extremely bad reputation with fish. i since i live in a small town i cant find anyone to take him that has experience with fish, and a pond. i dont know what to do with him a this point.
What size tank do you have? And a six inch goldfish isn’t going to eat a two inch goldfish. Unfortunately. Otherwise my pond wouldn’t be overcrowded. Nasty demons. Good thing I love em. But they need LOTS of room and filtration. You didn’t say what kind of goldies you have?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12

Lizzy23

Valued Member
Messages
187
Reaction score
23
Points
53
Experience
1 year
Gypsy13 said:
What size tank do you have? And a six inch goldfish isn’t going to eat a two inch goldfish. Unfortunately. Otherwise my pond wouldn’t be overcrowded. Nasty demons. Good thing I love em. But they need LOTS of room and filtration. You didn’t say what kind of goldies you have?
my 2 smaller ones are comets and the bigger one is a common. the 6" is in a 20g tank right now but it is cycled i'm trying to get him something bigger but he seems to be doing ok besides the fact that hes a bit lonely. as for the other 2 they are in a 45g but i have a huge pond coming in for them thats about 300g i think.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13

Lizzy23

Valued Member
Messages
187
Reaction score
23
Points
53
Experience
1 year
Smalltownfishfriend said:
Are you willing to ship it?? I am sure someone here on fish lore could give it a good home!!!
i thought about it but i dont know how to get it over the border so it would have to stay in canada and since it has been through alot of trama over the last few months im not sure it would make the trip
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14

Lizzy23

Valued Member
Messages
187
Reaction score
23
Points
53
Experience
1 year
Gypsy13 said:
What size tank do you have? And a six inch goldfish isn’t going to eat a two inch goldfish. Unfortunately. Otherwise my pond wouldn’t be overcrowded. Nasty demons. Good thing I love em. But they need LOTS of room and filtration. You didn’t say what kind of goldies you have?
im not so worried about my 2" being eaten as i am him being out competed for food
 

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,622
Reaction score
3,043
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
You don’t want the common in the pond with the comets? I understand if you’re not wanting cross breeding but otherwise they’d be fine. And my little guys get plenty to eat with the bigger ones. The smaller ones are faster than the bigger ones. It’d be different if you were talking about a common or comet in with say an Oranda. I truly don’t think you’d have a problem with them in the same tank. Unless one of the smaller ones was a female and the other two male. Then when the female was old enough to do the egg thing, she’d be harassed to no end. Literally. The boys don’t stop except to eat. My poor girlies.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16

Lizzy23

Valued Member
Messages
187
Reaction score
23
Points
53
Experience
1 year
Gypsy13 said:
You don’t want the common in the pond with the comets? I understand if you’re not wanting cross breeding but otherwise they’d be fine. And my little guys get plenty to eat with the bigger ones. The smaller ones are faster than the bigger ones. It’d be different if you were talking about a common or comet in with say an Oranda. I truly don’t think you’d have a problem with them in the same tank. Unless one of the smaller ones was a female and the other two male. Then when the female was old enough to do the egg thing, she’d be harassed to no end. Literally. The boys don’t stop except to eat. My poor girlies.
im not sure about the genders of them but i will separate them if that happens. as for putting them together once the pond is here i will try putting them together and see how it goes and hopefully it goes well.
 

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Messages
1,903
Reaction score
1,041
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
Once they're outdoors, there are other food sources as well ... insects, larvae, algae. These are all things that goldfish eat.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18

Lizzy23

Valued Member
Messages
187
Reaction score
23
Points
53
Experience
1 year
Galathiel said:
Once they're outdoors, there are other food sources as well ... insects, larvae, algae. These are all things that goldfish eat.
they wont be outdoors im getting an indoor pond since where i live has tons of cats and freezes in the winter
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom