What to do with empty fish tank after betta fish died?

ExtremeBoss

Hello! Sadly, my Betta Fish named Crimson passed away on Wednesday, which left me with an empty fish tank (5 gal.) since then. So I have a question, if I want to keep the tank up to get another Betta Fish, What should I do to the tank before doing anything? And to make my statement more clear I mostly mean what to do with things like the filter media, the water, the gravel, etc... Thanks!

Betta'sAnonymous

I usually just do a big water change and vac and call it good, depending why the fish died.

ExtremeBoss

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I usually just do a big water change and vac and call it good, depending why the fish died.
Thanks for the reply! Do you think he could've died from Swim Bladder Disease? Because he had these symptom's of it before he died Lethargy, Wobbly Swimming and it seemed like he wanted to swim, but something was holding him down. Or could it be something else? Also, while having those symptoms he still ate and wanted to swim around but he was tired.

Betta'sAnonymous

To be honest, fin rot and ick is all i have had to deal with, so i am no good at identifying diseases! And not 100% sure on this, but i don't think seim bladder is contagious, but i know there is someone around here that could say for sure

belarskio

ExtremeBoss said:
Hello! Sadly, my Betta Fish named Crimson passed away on Wednesday, which left me with an empty fish tank (5 gal.) since then. So I have a question, if I want to keep the tank up to get another Betta Fish, What should I do to the tank before doing anything? And to make my statement more clear I mostly mean what to do with things like the filter media, the water, the gravel, etc... Thanks!
Unless it was sitting in there while it was dead making the water all gross for a long time then you should be fine. Just do a quick water check

ExtremeBoss said:
If it die from disease you might want to give it a few days before you add a new one to wait for the bacteria to die

bumblinBee

Assuming he didn't die of something that could still be present in the aquarium (fungus, virus, parasite, etc.) I would do a small water change, maybe 15% and then depending on how long it'll be before you're able to get another betta, I might add snails/shrimp or some small fish that will maintain bioload until I had the new betta.

ExtremeBoss

bumblinBee said:
Assuming he didn't die of something that could still be present in the aquarium (fungus, virus, parasite, etc.) I would do a small water change, maybe 15% and then depending on how long it'll be before you're able to get another betta, I might add snails/shrimp or some small fish that will maintain bioload until I had the new betta.
Thanks for the help! Do you think using bottled ammonia will main the bio-load instead?

Cinnabar

ExtremeBoss said:
Thanks for the help! Do you think using bottled ammonia will main the bio-load instead?
a much easier way is to just sprinkle in a bit of fish food every other day or so. Gotta “feed” the bacteria you know? And you won’t have to worry about high ammonia since there’s nothing in the tank.

bumblinBee

ExtremeBoss said:
Well, how long do you expect it will be until you're able to get your new betta? If it's only a day or two, I honestly wouldn't worry too much. WhatsUpGuys 's approach is probably your best bet otherwise. If you really want to, I suppose you could go the liquid ammonia route though. Obviously start with a small dose and test the water each day to see how quickly the ammonia/nitrite levels are dropping, and then add as needed based on that. Goes without saying, but always make sure those numbers are down to 0 before you add livestock as well.

ExtremeBoss

WhatsUpGuys said:
a much easier way is to just sprinkle in a bit of fish food every other day or so. Gotta “feed” the bacteria you know? And you won’t have to worry about high ammonia since there’s nothing in the tank.
That's a great idea! I will use fish food then. Thanks!

bumblinBee said:
Well, how long do you expect it will be until you're able to get your new betta? If it's only a day or two, I honestly wouldn't worry too much. WhatsUpGuys 's approach is probably your best bet otherwise. If you really want to, I suppose you could go the liquid ammonia route though. Obviously start with a small dose and test the water each day to see how quickly the ammonia/nitrite levels are dropping, and then add as needed based on that. Goes without saying, but always make sure those numbers are down to 0 before you add livestock as well.
I guess I won't be able to get another Betta until a week or two. Also, I'm going to use fish food like WhatsUpGuys said because like you said, it sounds like the best choice for me. Thanks!

SinisterCichlids

Just want to throw my 2 cents in about the swim bladder disease. It is not contagious from my understanding, but the causes of swim bladder typically affect all or some of the fish at one time, that is why you usually have a few die around the same time period. For example, overfeeding causes swim bladder, since all or some of your fish are probably overeating, they will develop bloat and it will "appear" to be contagious".

Betta'sAnonymous said:
To be honest, fin rot and ick is all i have had to deal with, so i am no good at identifying diseases! And not 100% sure on this, but i don't think seim bladder is contagious, but i know there is someone around here that could say for sure
Just want to throw my 2 cents in about the swim bladder disease. It is not contagious from my understanding, but the causes of swim bladder typically affect all or some of the fish at one time, that is why you usually have a few die around the same time period. For example, overfeeding causes swim bladder, since all or some of your fish are probably overeating, they will develop bloat and it will "appear" to be contagious".

Debbie1986

If worried, I'd just clean with aquarium salts & thoroughly rinse the tank.

I usually rinse the gravel 3x & let it dry out in tank.

Sadly, I've had 3 Betta with tumor deaths, & 1 stress death ( fish got stressed, lower immune system, etc) this past year.

Top Bottom