What To Do With Aquarium After Fungal Disease?

1. Pez

Pez New Member Member

I have a Fluval Spec V that was home to a lovely male betta until he developed what my ifs guy believed was a fungal disease that ate away at his flesh.

He died about three months ago, but I have kept the tank running as it is home to several plants and a pair of nerite snails.

I'm now wondering how I might use the tank for a fish again, but I am leery since I don't know exactly what killed my betta and worry that there might be something contagious lurking in there. I also don't want to chuck out the plants and snails that are still thriving in there.

What advice do you have for making the tank safe for another fish?

TIA.

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

I don't think what you are describing is a fungal disease. Instead, this sounds like columnaris which is a bacterial disease. This disease looks fungal and eats away at the body. While columnaris is very contaigous, it's also found in almost everyaquarium. is is present but doesn't become a problem until a fish is weakened. That means you should be good to give it another try.

3. OP
    OP
    Pez

Pez New Member Member

Thanks for that information. I looked at some images of columnaris and this does look like what was happening to my betta. It was really awful. I've had several bettas in my life but this has never happened. I am hoping I don't see it again.