What to do with angelfish fry?

Preston Landolt

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello! I just hatched my first angelfish fry, over night they became wigglers. My guess is I have somewhere from 20-40 that made it (I had problems with fungus). I called my lfs, in hindsight I should have checked this first, but they won’t give store credit or buy the angelfish once they are big enough to be sold. What do I do with the fish? I couldn’t keep any of them because my current tanks are all stocked to the brim with fish.

Anything helps!

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your situation is quite common. The goal of many fishkeepers is obtaining a mated pair of "what ever species" & achieve a successful spawn.
Unless a local mom & pop LFS exist in your area, that will agree to take a local breeder's fry, your stuck.
My cichlids breed continuously. Fortunately the tankmates make short work eating the fry. Sounds awful but is a neccessary reality.
About the only way to profit in the fish breeding industry is to identify a popular, expensive, difficult to breed fish species, have successful spawns & learn the art of shipping.

OP
Preston Landolt

Preston Landolt

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My main local fish store is about 20 minutes out, but I live about 40 minutes from gerber aquarium which is nationally know for their freshwater fish, I think I’ll give them a call to see if I can get them to take them.

I let the first batch of eggs get eaten because I didn’t have a tank to raise them, but it turned out I have two pairs in my tank so I’m getting Eggs almost every 10 days or so , I thought I might as well give it a shot. Worst case scenario I don’t get any money or store credit but I give them away to a store anyway. Breeding was more for the experience and only costed maybe 40 dollars for everything I needed to raise them.

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Unfortunately, when I stumbled into breeding, ran into the same issue. Most new keepers end up breeding by accident/mother nature. Then scramble about "What to do with all these fish".

It took a bit of work, but I have developed a "Good" relationship with a few LFS . Granted not a $$ maker (cash/store credit/discounts). But it does help keep me in supplies and has funded other purchases. I tried selling here and online, but too much work and not for me.
I did join a local "Fish Club" which opened up some Local Fish Auctions. "Great" folks and I was able to sell some of my fish. But sadly, as a consequence of Covid, the auctions have closed down. So, I have had to curtail my breeding at this point.

Lesson Learned!

Good Luck!

OP
Preston Landolt

Preston Landolt

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The parents of these fish were in my opinion the best looking in the tank, it will no doubt produce good looking angels. I’m sure with better conditions in the world right now I could find a fish club and such to sell at auctions. Selling fish online and Shipping isn’t ideal in the middle of summer so im not too sure what I can do with them honestly. I’ll call around to other fish stores in the area today and see what I can do.

New Threads