What To Do With An Old Hermit Crab Tank?

thatoneguy99

I recently got into this hobby. I have a planted 8 gallon tank that is cycling at the moment, with no fish in it. I do plan on having a betta and some shrimp.
I don't think that MTS has set in just yet but I do happen to have a very small 3.3 gallon hermit crab tank. I think I want to mod this tank to add a filter and a better light. Then just have it as a planted tank that will never have fish. Maybe I can put baby shrimps over in the small 3.3? I don't want my future betta to eat them, IF I end up wanting to keep a few.

So any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated. I also have a 10 gallon tank but have no where to put it at the moment and am saving that for a future project, when MTS definitely gets a hold of me.
Thanks for the look!

Fanatic

Well, it looks like it is molded plastic, so I would first start off by making sure it doesn't have leaks by filling it up and letting it sit for a while.
You can do shrimp, most bettas will eat brightly colored ones, but there are a few instances where they could care less, mine gobbled shrimp up whole.
That tank looks to be fine for a betta, as long as you can get filtration and a heater in it without taking up too much room, it should be fine.

aquafrogg

I don’t know much about refurbishing tanks, but I must say, I love your avatar haha. It makes me laugh every time I see your posts

You could turn your 10 gallon into another betta tank when you feel like setting it up. Or you could move your betta and shrimp from the 8 gal into the 10 and have a shrimp colony in the 8? Not sure what’s good to go in the 3.3... maybe some shrimp or a snail? I know 2.5 gallons is the minimum for a betta so technically you could have one in there, but IMO that’s still just too small.

thatoneguy99

Yeah I don't plan to put any fish in the 3.3. I think I made up my mind that it will be plants only, and maybe an emergency QT center for one fish. Snails maybe and shrimps are an even bigger maybe. I have read that their bioload is pretty high and with such a small tank the parameters are a nightmare to keep right.

I think the 10 gallon may end up being a saltwater tank. Even then I need to do more research on all of that. I just LOVE the colors of a saltwater tank. If not saltwater I may not even set it up.

I REALLY want more fish, obv, and if I end up doing anything it will probably a 29 gallon at a minimum. A 10 gallon would only really be good for a betta and if not a betta then maybe some endlers. Even still not enough fish, or big enough fish, for what I would want to do when the time comes to upgrade.

bettaf1sh 7789

I would definitely test it to make sure it doesn’t leak first. You could set it up as a planted tank (I’d use trimmings of plants from other tanks). You *could* keep a betta in it, but 5+ gallons is definitely better for a betta. If you’re interested in saltwater, this could be a cool nano tank for corals or inverts, but I wouldn’t try to do something so small without some experience first. Lighting would be quite expensive for corals though. I like the idea of a planted shrimp tank.

wodesorel

Was it made to be used as an aquarium? I worry about the weight when it comes to thin plexiglass. The way a commercially recommended hermit set up is, it would weight only a few pounds. (That's not the correct way to care for land crabs though!) Filled with water and substrate an aquarium of this size would be around 25 pounds. That's a lot, and the plastic may not be formed or reinforced for that much.

Momgoose56

thatoneguy99 said:
I recently got into this hobby. I have a planted 8 gallon tank that is cycling at the moment, with no fish in it. I do plan on having a betta and some shrimp.
I don't think that MTS has set in just yet but I do happen to have a very small 3.3 gallon hermit crab tank. I think I want to mod this tank to add a filter and a better light. Then just have it as a planted tank that will never have fish. Maybe I can put baby shrimps over in the small 3.3? I don't want my future betta to eat them, IF I end up wanting to keep a few.

So any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated. I also have a 10 gallon tank but have no where to put it at the moment and am saving that for a future project, when MTS definitely gets a hold of me.
Thanks for the look!
Nice little tank! Is it a single molded piece of acrylic with the black skirt/rI'm around the bottom? No problem with leaking then!

Momgoose56

thatoneguy99 said:

Thanks for the look!
wodesorel said:
Was it made to be used as an aquarium? I worry about the weight when it comes to thin plexiglass. The way a commercially recommended hermit set up is, it would weight only a few pounds. (That's not the correct way to care for land crabs though!) Filled with water and substrate an aquarium of this size would be around 25 pounds. That's a lot, and the plastic may not be formed or reinforced for that much.
thatoneguy99 said:

Thanks for the look!
What do you mean by MTS?

thatoneguy99

MultI tank syndrome. A condition in the hobby that you will want more and more tanks as you go on.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom