What to do with an empty 2.5 gallon tank?

Maryellen

Active Member
Member
Messages
62
Reaction score
31
Location
Arizona
Experience
Just started
A few years ago, I had a betta in a 2.5 gal, then upgraded him to a five gallon, after realizing how small that tank was.

So now, as I’m kind of getting into the fish keeping hobby, I’d like to take that (rather pricey) 2.5 gal out of the garage and turn it into something. It’s a very nice looking tank, and would look much better if it wasn’t covered in dust.

I read some forums on here, and it seems like shrimp would be a good option for such a small tank, but as a beginner to fish keeping, shrimp seem very daunting.. Another option I read about was a quarantine tank, but i don’t think i have a need for a quarantine tank because I only have one fish.. (for now.)

What are your guy’s thoughts on what I should do with my 2.5 gallon? I suppose I could use it for plants, but i’d prefer a fish or two in it, if possible.
 

RomeoOscar

Active Member
Member
Messages
98
Reaction score
36
Experience
Just started
I would not do a quarantine or hospital tank for any fish they'd get super stressed due to how small it is... Not sure about shrimp... I guess? It's still super small really. I would use it as a snail tank, like ramshorns or pond snails, nothing too big... Or maybe raise fry for couple weeks there? Maybe use to raise live fish food like mosquito larvae or something... Up to you.
 

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Member
Messages
752
Reaction score
581
Location
Colorado Springs on the edge of the city+country
Experience
Just started
Pezman123 said:
A few years ago, I had a betta in a 2.5 gal, then upgraded him to a five gallon, after realizing how small that tank was.

So now, as I’m kind of getting into the fish keeping hobby, I’d like to take that (rather pricey) 2.5 gal out of the garage and turn it into something. It’s a very nice looking tank, and would look much better if it wasn’t covered in dust.

I read some forums on here, and it seems like shrimp would be a good option for such a small tank, but as a beginner to fish keeping, shrimp seem very daunting.. Another option I read about was a quarantine tank, but i don’t think i have a need for a quarantine tank because I only have one fish.. (for now.)

What are your guy’s thoughts on what I should do with my 2.5 gallon? I suppose I could use it for plants, but i’d prefer a fish or two in it, if possible.
Shrimp are probably your best option! Or some snails :)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
Maryellen

Maryellen

Active Member
Member
Messages
62
Reaction score
31
Location
Arizona
Experience
Just started
Bloodfeather said:
Shrimp are probably your best option! Or some snails :)
I wouldn’t even know where to start with shrimp the thought is peaking my curiosity thought.
 

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Member
Messages
752
Reaction score
581
Location
Colorado Springs on the edge of the city+country
Experience
Just started
Pezman123 said:
I wouldn’t even know where to start with shrimp the thought is peaking my curiosity thought.
Shrimp are relatively easy from what I know. Some kinds are more sensitive than others, but I believe amanos and RCS are pretty hardy. They eat debris, fish food, and decaying plant matter. Some kinds, like amanos, will eat algae.

They do need live plants and such. And regular water changes (not too much).
 

flyinGourami

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,797
Reaction score
4,005
Location
Nvm I live in the US.
Experience
Just started
Neo shrimp are pretty easy. You do need stable parameters though, bigger water changes aren't usually recommended although they can work, and you want a good food source for them. This is another reason why for cherries you generally want more established tanks that have bio film and maybe algae, established tanks usually have stable parameters too.
They don't need live plants although I would definitely have some.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
Maryellen

Maryellen

Active Member
Member
Messages
62
Reaction score
31
Location
Arizona
Experience
Just started
Bloodfeather said:
Shrimp are relatively easy from what I know. Some kinds are more sensitive than others, but I believe amanos and RCS are pretty hardy. They eat debris, fish food, and decaying plant matter. Some kinds, like amanos, will eat algae.

They do need live plants and such. And regular water changes (not too much).
Well.. you make it sound fairly simple. I guess I’m going to have to look into shrimp more! Thank you!
 

RomeoOscar

Active Member
Member
Messages
98
Reaction score
36
Experience
Just started
Yeah I guess you can go with like small shrimp, try red cherry or any other neocaridina really, they're hardy and very forgiving. And they don't grow much... Start with a male and a female in a planted tank and you'll get dozens in a month or so
 

Mike1995

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,377
Reaction score
1,298
Location
Pennsylvania
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pezman123 said:
I wouldn’t even know where to start with shrimp the thought is peaking my curiosity thought.
Look up flip aquatics or aquarium coop videos about cherry shrimp. They both have a lot of good information on how to keep them.

 

flyinGourami

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,797
Reaction score
4,005
Location
Nvm I live in the US.
Experience
Just started
CrayfishAreAwesome said:
shrimp are easy. Cherry shrimp are almost impossible to kill! they like planted tanks.
Cherry shrimp are usually easy to kill. They are easy but are not the easiest, especially in a 2.5 gallon tank.
 

JuiceBox52

Active Member
Member
Messages
261
Reaction score
356
Location
Monroe Washington
Experience
5 to 10 years
Shrimp or snails. Too small for a fish. Cherry shrimp with live plants and 50%+ weekly water changes will thrive.

Make sure the tank is well established with biofilm and algae before introducing any shrimp
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
258
Guests online
3,674
Total visitors
3,932

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom