What to do with amano larvae?

peddidle

I've had amano shrimp for, I think, about a month now. I believe I have two males and one female. At first I thought, "Cool, maybe they'll breed." Then I found out the larvae won't survive in freshwater, so then I thought, "Well that's lame," haha. Anyway, sure enough, they bred. My female is carrying around a bunch of eggs. They're kind of cool to watch as they move around under her, but I read yesterday that they can have 1000 or more eggs?! I'm worried a bunch of dead larvae will cause an ammonia spike. Do I need to remove the larvae once she drops them? I have the three amano shrimp as well as three guppies in the tank (10g). Will my guppies pig out on the larvae and overeat if I leave them in there? What's the best way to handle this situation? (No, I am not going to attempt to raise them in brackish water.)

Attachments

• IMG_2313.jpg
    IMG_2313.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 90

sinned4g63

Not a thing! I have 6 in a 10 gallon with 2 males and 4 females the berry every week or so. With black sand as a substrate I've never found any eggs around the tank having been dropped and never any issues with bloated or overfed fish. I assume they just get filtered out or would deteriorate like a molted shell. But yeah, nothing fancy just let nature do it's thing.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
foxryk
Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views
Jellibeen
Replies
Views