What To Do With A Neglected Goldfish? Please Help!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Panda_Mo, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Panda_Mo

Panda_Mo New Member Member

My friend has a small Rukin goldfish. She has it in a 10g with little agitation and poor filtration. After, asking non-stop if I could have the goldfish she finally decided to "Think about it". Currently, I have two small Orandas in a 29g with a canister filter that does 350ghp I do 70% - 80% water changes every 5 days. I know I can support another small fancy goldfish but I'm not sure if I can support three when they become adults.

So, should I take on my friends Rukin or leave it to suffer in a 10g?
    My main concern is that three fancies will be too much on the tank and filter. Please help!

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

If you really want this, take the fish on and find yourself a big tank to house them. I would only support this if you are 100% certain you would be getting a bigger tank to house all these goldfish. If you don't plan on getting another goldfish tell your friend that if she doesn't want to take care of it ask a LFS to take if off her hands.

If she refuses, walk away and don't talk about it again. It's her problem, not yours.

3. OP
    OP
    Panda_Mo

What size tank would you suggest?

4. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, I think even a 55 gal would be fine for 3 adult fancies. A 40 gal breeder could work in a pinch, though a 55 gal is better.

6. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I had 3 fancies in a 29G for a number of months. They now reside in a 55G with one more fancy and a common pleco. I am a little over on my stocking but wouldn't be if I didn't have the pleco. Water quality is the biggest thing. Mine have grown so much since moving to a larger tank also.

7. OP
    OP
    Panda_Mo

If I took on the extra goldie would 29g be fine for at least a year or maybe a year and a half ? My orandas are 4 and 6 months old and my friends Rukin looks about the same age if not a bit older. I do have a 55g stand but I'm only in high school and it will probably take about a year to upgrade the tank.

8. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

It'd be a tight fit, but with multiple weekly water changes, you could likely swing it, as long as you can upgrade. Sooner would be better than later.

9. OP
    OP
    Panda_Mo

Thank you guys for the help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice