what to do with a 33gal..

1. jarrod Member Member

hey all, im in the process of checkin out a 33gal tank.. but im not totally shure on what to fill it with..

what i do know is that i want a few chiclids..blue ram, cockatoo, somthing that size. (wanted convics but read the get to aggressive to have in a comunity tank), and i would also like a red tail shark.., and hopeully a angel fish(but not shure on the capatabillity with the above), and 2 khulie loaches??

an i also want to keep my pair of dwarf guaramis(male/female)

i was hopin to fill the tank with some colorfull 3 inch(ish) type fish..

and what the best way to fast-track the cycle.. i currently have a 10 gal up and running..(currently has 4 black long fin tetras, 3 neons, 2 male guppies, couple snails, pair of dg's and a otto.)

any ideas on stock??

what do you guys think of this list..

1 angel
    2 dg's (already have m/f)
    3 khuli loaches
    2 bolivian rams
    2 keyhole chiclids
    4 black skirt tetras (already have)
    3 guppys (already have 2 males)

or

2 dg 's (already have)
    2 cockatoo chiclids (1 male 1 female)
    3 khuli loahes
    3 bolivian rams (1 ma. 2 female)
    4 black skirt tetras (already have)
    2 guppys (already have 2 males)
    4 ottos (already have 1)
    3 killifish

with a sand substrate and some live plants..

what would you guys suggest for a algea eater?? just a crew of ottos?? or a sae?

are those lists doable in a 33g or do you guys have a better more capatable list?

:animal0068:Hello. I've merged your posts to save some space.
    Thanks!
    Ken

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Jarrod. Hopefully someone will help you out today. I haven't personally kept some of the species you've mentioned. Hang in there! :)
    Ken

3. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

List one but without the Angels. It's been a long time since I have had them but from memory the Black Skirt Tetra is a fin nipper. I think I also read somewhere that you shouldn't keep angels & gouramis in the same tank.

I like list two better though but without the Killies. They usually prefer slightly cooler water & being a surface predator they will cause problems with the Gouramis to. Killies love to nip at other fish & if they are big enough will eat the guppies & possibly the Otos to. Killies are very pretty fish but usually do best in a species aquarium. Perhaps a larger school of Black Skirts might go well.

For algae eaters I would have 3-4 Otos + 1 SAE. Especially with live plants. Between the two algae eaters they will keep your plants spotless.

To fast track your cycle put some of the filter media from your already cycled tank into the filter of your new tank. Better still use the whole cycled filter on the new tank until you have established your bacteria colony. Make sure there is a supply of ammonia for the bacteria to feed on though. Also as many of the decorations as you can. Here's a link about cycling with live plants in the tank that you may find interesting: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_newtank.htm

4. rae64 Well Known Member Member

You may want to look into Tetra Safe Start if you can find any. It works fast and works well, but is a little pricey and hard to find. Also, I agree about adding a few black skirts to the school. They will be much happier.

5. jarrod Member Member

ya i was lookin for it, but cant seem to find it..

6. jarrod Member Member

how about this list.. any objections??

1 x Dwarf Gourami (Colisa lalia)
    4 x Black Skirt Tetra (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi)
    4 x Oto (Otocinclus vittatus)
    2 x Kuhli Loach (Pangio kuhlii)
    3 x German Blue Ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi)
    1 x Angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare)
    1 x Red Tailed Black Shark (Epalzeorhynchos bicolor)
    1 x Guppy (Poecilia reticulata)

7. JennDFK Member Member

If you do go for the killifish, you might want to steer clear of the golden wonder killies. They are inexpensive and available at the big chains. They are gorgeous, but can get large (mine got to about 4") and mean.
    Whatever you choose, go slowly with the stocking. The fish will do better and you might change your mind about what you want as you go along.
    Good luck!

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You'll need 6 kuhlis. If you get 2 you'll never see them. I'd go with 6 blackskirts. Ottos are very sensitive and require a well established tank- I would add them last, if you get them. If you do 3 rams, make it 1m/2f. It can be quite difficult to pick out a female, let alone two. If I remember correctly, a 33 is long, but not tall. Angels need a tall tank, and I don't think putting one in with the rams in a smaller tank like that would be a good idea. I see problems arising with the shark and rams when they start breeding. I have no experience with those sharks, but that's my gut feeling based on what I've read.

9. jarrod Member Member

hmm.. this tank is about 18" tall..

well ill keep brainstorming..

thanks

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

That is tall enough for an angel. What are the othe dimensions?

11. jarrod Member Member

18" tall
    14" wide
    32" long