What to do with a 1 Gallon tank?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kcarmartinez, Mar 29, 2010.

1. kcarmartinez

kcarmartinez Valued Member Member

I love freecycle. I asked for a 2.5 to 3 gallon tank so my daughter could get her own betta.... someone offered a 1G... I took it and kept looking. (Oh, and I got offered a quart container from somone saying "that is all a betta really needs....") We used it over the summer till we were able to get the bigger tank (which wasn't long.) So, now what?
    I was thinking of doing java moss, maybe some other low light plants and a half a dozen cherry red shrimp. But I am concerned that you can't put a heater in a tank that small and I was thinking black flourite sand so the UG filter it came with will be a no go?
    So my questions are... will cherry red shrimp be OK in room temperature water? What should I use for filtration? And do you think this would work?
    Tank looks similar to this...

Attached Files:

2. p

philipbouchard-davies Valued Member Member

That's not enough room for a betts lettle lone a betts with shrimp.

Phil :)

3. a

anunez91 Valued Member Member

so wait, did you already upgrade the betta and are now wondering what to do with the one gallon?

i think they do need to be heated

my 10g betta tank stood above 72 without a heater so if the ambient temp in the room is warm, they should be fine,

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  4. p

philipbouchard-davies Valued Member Member

O yea cuz a one gallon can hold some shrimp :)

Phil :)

5. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

Shrimp add little to no bioload with their habits. Some will be eaten in a tank that small. I keep my 10 gal betta tank @ 80* I keep him with 3 platy, a small molly, small rubber pleco, and 3 ghost shrimp. I have like 8 plants and driftwood. You could find a small heater. Javawould work. Like I said though, your betta will eat thes shrimp. I would recommend gravel substrate.

6. a

anunez91 Valued Member Member

the thing is, i dont think he has his betta there anymore, i think he upgraded the betta and is just looking for something to put in a one gallon tank that he has left over,

7. l

loachaholic Valued Member Member

Yeah, I think he's just asking how to care for the shrimp in the 1g.

In that case, Mom kept her shrimp quarantined in a 1g for a few weeks, she just had a small filter run by an air pump that she got from Wal-Mart (the green ones that suction to the wall) and regular water changes for filtration. To heat it, mainly her house is pretty warm cause of the woodstove, and she's got asmall aquarium lightbulb that she'd DIY'ed into the hood that gets it up to about 82f.

EDIT: Not sure if the light-heating method would be good for low-light plants. I know when mom had a huge problem with algae growth on her silk plants. Maybe some snails as well? She's got a couple in her tank.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  8. OP
    OP
    kcarmartinez

kcarmartinez Valued Member Member

Sorry for the confusion... the betta has long been moved. ;D I was OK leaving the betta in the tank for a short while over the summer but I don't think they make heaters small enough for a 1G. Besides with that small space it is easy for temperature swings. Therein lies my problem.
    The concept I was going for is just a handful of shrimp/plants in the tank. The tank comes with a light, it may make it warmer when the light is on. The house is kept around 72 because I am always cold. But will the instability of the water temperature be OK for Shrimp? I know a heated tank would be best for them.
    The sticky filter idea is kind of what I had in mind except I am concerned that the pump will be too strong. When I try to moderate the flow on my pumps it seems to put alot of strain on them, and I have lost a few pumps already (check valves are now my friend).
    It is a cute tank and I would like to put it to use, or maybe I should just give up on it and get rid of it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice