What to do when your water changer isn't strong enough?

SpeedyFish

Hello all,

I have a question. What do you do when your water changer isn't strong enough to remove gunk from the tank? In my old apartment my python water was strong enough to remove everything to a point that it was sucking up gravel. Since I moved into my new apartment I noticed it has trouble sucking up gunk. I tried everything from using kevlar tape on all the threads, cut the tubing to reduce the distance from the faucet to the tank, and made sure the valves under the sink was open to maximum, but nothing seems to help. I'm not sure what elseI can do or how to remove the gunk from my tank.

jkkgron2

I use a turkey baster to suck up gunk from my tanks. It works really well and can get in places most aquarium siphons can’t.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Yeah you just may not be able to use the python if you dont have the water pressure. You may just have to be a bucketteer...with a manual siphon.

Upvote 0

SpeedyFish

Yea, looks like i would either have to get a vacuum changer or do it manual. Can't pin point if it's the reduced water pressure in the new apartment or the weird faucet that's causing the issue.

Upvote 0

FishDin

I have never used a gravel filter that attaches to a faucet, but I'm wondering if your faucet has an aerator on it. If so, it will reduce the flow. Try taking it off before attaching the Python.

I've always used a DIY gravel vac that I simply siphen into a nearby sink. If your tank is not high enough to siphen to sink you can just use a bucket to drain it into.

Upvote 0

pagoda

It sounds like the low pressure is either caused by one of two things...neither you will be able to cure.

Option 1 is a shared supply...as in one mains supply shared tween however many flats are in your block. The higher/further away from the mains, the lower the pressure will be.

Option 2 is that each flat has its own cold water storage tank and its in a cupboard on ground level or slightly above ground level thus the gravity ability is far too low to give you a decent and consistent pressure from the taps.

Your landlord will be able to say if its a shared mains and some detective hunting around the flat will tell you if its a low level tank supplied by the mains.

One of my previous flats was option 2 and the water was barely a trickle...ruined a dishwasher and washing machine too...very annoying but absolutely nothing to be done to improve the water pressure.

Upvote 0

SpeedyFish

I have never used a gravel filter that attaches to a faucet, but I'm wondering if your faucet has an aerator on it. If so, it will reduce the flow. Try taking it off before attaching the Python.

I've always used a DIY gravel vac that I simply siphen into a nearby sink. If your tank is not high enough to siphen to sink you can just use a bucket to drain it into.

The problem is I have this similar type of faucet. I have to remove the head then add a brass bushing, then add the python. I think I removed the aerator from the head, but not sure if there's another one in the attachment.

Pull+Down+Single+Handle+Kitchen+Faucet.jpg

Upvote 0

Sorg67

Many new faucets have restricted water flow to conserve water usage. I have that issue after we installed new faucets in the bathroom. I can solve the problem by running the python out the window to a garden hose and get as much suction as I want. However, I find that to be a pain and that would not work well if you live in an apartment. I use a pond pump for water changes and pump out the window. That is very fast but does not do any vacuuming. I use a syphon into a bucket for vacuuming. But I do not do a lot of vacuuming.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ForceTen
  • Question
Replies
Views
JaidWS
Replies
Views
SallImSayin