What to do when treatment fails?

1. Downward Dog Member Member

I've put my fish through 2 rounds of Maracyn/II to try to cure fin rot (DG and corydora) and popeye (cory).

I can't really tell if the DG has stopped losing fin material. My corydora is still swimming erratically and laying upside down.

I don't know what to do now. I had initially treated the corydora by itself with Melafix for a week before resorting to Maracyn. Should I just do 2 or 3 water changes a week and see how they fair? Perhaps whatever they had isn't bacterial -- would fin rot ever be caused by fungus??? I feel sort of hopeless right now, I really wanted to see improvement with treatment:(

Any thoughts?

2. hobo Member Member

I would be changing 50% every day until it clears up no meds:(

Sounds like your tank is going through a mini cycle when bacteria can die off in older tanks

3. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Ouch. When my angel had bad fin rot I gave him melafix. Don't use this on the gourami, it contains an oil which will suffocate him. You could try it on the cories again, but if it didn't work last time, you might not want to spend more on it. You should definitely do large frequent water changes, because clean water is the best cure for fin rot.

4. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

What are your current water parameters? How often do you clean the gravel bed?

Daily water changes, gravel vacs, fresh garlic are great for helping fish recover from fin rot.

Good luck!

5. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

It sounds a like a little more than just fin rot. The cory at least sounds like the damage has led to further infection. Corys are also more sensitive to meds, as they are armoured, scaleless fish.

I would do as mentioned above and remove all meds, and start with daily WCs, gravel vacs, and the garlic is a great addition, as Dena said.

6. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

How warm is the water, how often is it cleaned and so on. You cant remove the effect without first removing the cause.

7. Downward Dog Member Member

I change my water religiously once a week and vaccuum part of the gravel. My amm & nitrites are always 0, I never let my nitrates get above 20. I feel like this is all started about a year ago after I lost a guppy who developed a curved spine and couldn't swim right, just floated at the top helplessly so I euthanized him with vodka/clove oil method. Since then, I've lost my neons and at least 3 cories (symptoms similar to neon tetra disease). The cories responded great to Maracyn/M2 last time, but not this time.

I will change the water again, I've already added charcoal, and I will add garlic. Thanks!

Oh, and my water temp is 80 degrees.

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

As sad as it may be, after several round of treatments with medications and natural remedies, I would stop with the treatments and continue with water changes and let nature take its course. Over medicating can be as harmful as not medicating at all.

Sometimes there is only so much that we can do for our fish. There are times when nothing is going to help. Sad but true.

Speaking from personal experience :)

Ken

9. Downward Dog Member Member

Thanks, all. I'm doing water changes every other day and have soaked the fish food in garlic juice/broth from my own organic garlic. The DG and tetra don't seem to like it though. Wondering if they'll eat it if they get hungry enough?!

Cross your fingers that I'll be seeing improvement before too long, no matter how small.

10. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

To respond to your initial question..... when the quality of life is no longer there, I would euthanize. I figure if it's what I would want done for myself, it's what I must do for my pets.

11. Downward Dog Member Member

Thanks, LyndaB. I'm a dog trainer and that's what I tell my clients. :)