What To Do When Sad?

Adriifu
Hey. I've been doing okay lately with my depression, but I'll always have my bad days. If any of you have experience with this, what do you do when you're feeling down? I usually do something fish-related. It helps knowing that I'm able to care for others. I'll also listen to music or write poetry. Other than that, I just stare at the ceiling. It's a very numb feeling, if you'd like to call it a feeling at all. I take 20 mg of Lexapro daily and it has caused some weight gain, therefore more lack of self-confidence. I've gotten that under control, though. Once in a while, I'll take a long break from this forum just to care for myself a bit. I'm kind of on and off, but I enjoy helping others. Any suggestions on other things I can do to help myself would be great. Thank you

AquaticJ
I’ve been on Lexapro for a few years, now on Zoloft. Not for depression, but for anxiety. I have gone through depression though. Maybe your Lexapro isn’t the right medicine for you. They have this new test where they actually take your DNA and can find out which medicine your body would react to the best.

Adriifu
I’ve been on Lexapro for a few years, now on Zoloft. Not for depression, but for anxiety. I have gone through depression though. Maybe your Lexapro isn’t the right medicine for you. They have this new test where they actually take your DNA and can find out which medicine your body would react to the best.
I tried Prozac previously, but my hands got really shaky. I also used Trazodone for sleep, which I got off of. I think Lexapro is all right for now, but every couple of months I'll feel really down for a long time and have to get another increase. Wouldn't that DNA test be really expensive?

AquaticJ
It depends on your insurance, but usually $330 or less.

Adriifu
It depends on your insurance, but usually $330 or less.
Thank you. I'll look into it. I don't know if my parents would be able to afford it, but I'll bring it up.

AquaticJ
It’s a thought, good luck Hope you see brighter days!

david1978
I usually turn to alcohol. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Adriifu
I usually turn to alcohol. I wouldn't recommend it though.
My dad's a recovered alcoholic and I have an addictive personality, so I'd prefer avoiding that. Besides, I'm only fourteen. It's not very easy to get at that age.

Rtessy
Ack, yeah please no alcohol for minors. I have one friend I can always text, it's nice. We rely on each other a lot, but sometimes it's hard. If I'm feeling bad and she's feeling bad, sometimes one of us or both of us have trouble supporting the other. Make yourself a support network. Try and sleep. Paint a picture. Draw out a new tank design or a rescape of your tank. There's always tomorrow.

midna
I go to sleep lol. but when i'm really upset, I can't even do that well. so sleeping pills are kind of a blessing.

when i'm not sleeping, I like to watch tv shows on netflix, I guess. it's good semi-mindless activity that gets your mind off of things and emerses you into the world of whatever you're watching. pet or play with my cat. try to get myself to do something ~productive if I can.

i'm sorry man it's rough. I hope things get better for you.

goldface
Depression or sadness is not something I’m emotionally very familiar with. Which is odd because I’ve had it pretty rough as a child and later as an adult. Instead, my default emotion seems to be anger: what tends to make one sad, makes me angry. It may not be depression, but it can be damaging and self-destructive too. I practice boxing and also do Pilates on occasion. The former helps me let loose whatever strong feelings I’m having, while the latter helps me focus and relax. Obviously, I’m not expecting you to do exactly what I’m doing. I’m saying keep yourself occupied, and find something to do outside of fish-keeping. I know: easier said than done.

Zoomo
I get depressed with chronic pain and wonder if I will ever be able to wash my dishes w/o agony again, or walk through the store, or take a shower w/o having to sit for half of it, etc., but it does not hurt me to sit, so I sit, I crochet, cross stitch, have my fish, and I search the internet, watch Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime, and spend money on more fish stuff. I work from home and work the night shift, 9:30 pm to 6:00 am, and stay up till about 10, 11, then go to sleep until just before work. But my weekends, I do my fish stuff and my crocheting and Netflixing, etc.

Rtessy
I get depressed with chronic pain and wonder if I will ever be able to wash my dishes w/o agony again, or walk through the store, or take a shower w/o having to sit for half of it, etc., but it does not hurt me to sit, so I sit, I crochet, cross stitch, have my fish, and I search the internet, watch Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime, and spend money on more fish stuff. I work from home and work the night shift, 9:30 pm to 6:00 am, and stay up till about 10, 11, then go to sleep until just before work. But my weekends, I do my fish stuff and my crocheting and Netflixing, etc.
I'm so sorry, that sucks. I've had daily pain for a few years now, but for the past few months it hasn't been nearly as bad as it was. I still have very bad days, and I find it really funny that I crochet then too! I've tried knitting, but honestly it just confuses me. Sometimes I also make little polymer clay figures while watching Netflix for something. I'll also watch my little shrimp tank for what seems like hours. I truly hope you'll be able to get some break from the pain.

ASHLEY R COOK
I have depression on and off but I have aniexty all the time. Lexapro helped a lot with my depression but only a bit with the aniexty.
What does seem to help is going outside or out somewhere (if aniexty try to avoid lots of people).
The sun helps.

75g Discus Tank
Listen to classical music and just watch your fish. It is one of the most relaxing things that I’ve done. It could help with your bad days too.

SegiDream
Get out into the sun more often, take lots of nature walks, chill out by the lake or ocean, mow the lawn/garden. Sunlight helps regulate hormones in the brain. It doesn't hurt to take vitamin D supplements either. I'm supposed to stay out of the sun as much as possible but I warned my docs early on that wasn't going to happen, they don't know everything. Sometimes staying healthy means being able to enjoy doing certain things.

Also, find ways to reduce stress like a hobby you enjoy that focuses your mind. Take minI vacations or other healthy ways to "get away from it all" every so often.

Zoso94
Taking care of animals is one of the healthiest outlets I have found for my depression. It's to the point where I can't even fit anymore tanks/cages in my bedroom lol But having a room full of happy healthy creatures that love me unconditionally...good feeling. Having pets that you can interact with, like snakes..is the best after a crappy day.

NavyChief20
Usually what I do is hit the gym. You can go for a run too. As you exercise your body releases endorphins which naturally causes an uplift in your mood. Additionally working out will lead to better health and better sleep. Metabolism control and better eating also factor in for overall improved health. I have PTSD pretty bad, comes and goes and there are some shows/movies I avoid and even things at amusement parks I avoid since it triggers it.

DoubleDutch
Get out into the sun more often, take lots of nature walks, chill out by the lake or ocean, mow the lawn/garden. Sunlight helps regulate hormones in the brain. It doesn't hurt to take vitamin D supplements either. I'm supposed to stay out of the sun as much as possible but I warned my docs early on that wasn't going to happen, they don't know everything. Sometimes staying healthy means being able to enjoy doing certain things.

Also, find ways to reduce stress like a hobby you enjoy that focuses your mind. Take minI vacations or other healthy ways to "get away from it all" every so often.
That's a very good advice !!! Walking / hiking in nature is really great.

luckdown
I am currently dealing with some pretty bad depression. I'm also bI polar so I get really bad mood swings most days where I'm just really low. Dealing with both at the same time is horrible.

I'm on 3 mood stabilizers (you're only supposed to take one but this combo has been the only thing that works for me that my drs have tried) which do make me feel a ton better. However the issue is they prevent you from feeling emotions. So although I'm not nearly as sad. I can no longer feel happy. Which kinda sucks.

My fish are the closest to happy I have been able to get. I spend waaayyyy too much of my time watching each tank. Outside of this I hardly do anything though.

People say to force yourself to do what would make you happy if you weren't depressed. But that's easier said than done.

The most important thing is to make sure you take care of your basic needs. If your basic needs aren't met you'll never feel better. Eat, drink water, bathe, try to get up and move even if just for a few minutes. Keeping your space clean also helps promote a healthier mindset.

If you want to do more with your days I suggest having a to do list (I use habitica) with some easy simple tasks and reward yourself each day you do them. (A piece of candy was usually my reward) but it's important to tell yourself that it's okay to zone out and decompress. Sometimes that's just what your mind and body needs you to do so it can heal.

I know a fair bit of useful things I can give you information and resources on if you're interested? I spend a good amount of time studying this stuff and the various methods.

ASHLEY R COOK
Usually what I do is hit the gym. You can go for a run too. As you exercise your body releases endorphins which naturally causes an uplift in your mood. Additionally working out will lead to better health and better sleep. Metabolism control and better eating also factor in for overall improved health. I have PTSD pretty bad, comes and goes and there are some shows/movies I avoid and even things at amusement parks I avoid since it triggers it.
I agree that when I went to Zumba or turbo kick class it helped as well.

Aureus
While I've never suffered from depression or anxiety, whenever I'm having a bad day, I like to walk and work-out. It gives me something to do, while also improving my body and mind. I hope this helps some!

ASHLEY R COOK
When my depression is at its worst I can't do anything productive but I can go put for a walk. I ask for help if I need it. Like the dishes or laundry. I can't make myself do anything when depressed. So I can't really help there. I just know outside and exercise does help me when I do it.

Adriifu
Ack, yeah please no alcohol for minors. I have one friend I can always text, it's nice. We rely on each other a lot, but sometimes it's hard. If I'm feeling bad and she's feeling bad, sometimes one of us or both of us have trouble supporting the other. Make yourself a support network. Try and sleep. Paint a picture. Draw out a new tank design or a rescape of your tank. There's always tomorrow.
Yeah, socializing does help a lot for me. I text my boyfriend and try to see him every once in a while over the summer. Also hang out with some friends. It's hard to find the motivation to actually hang out with them, but once I find it, I'm pretty happy. I usually lose all of my energy at the end of the day, though.
I have depression on and off but I have aniexty all the time. Lexapro helped a lot with my depression but only a bit with the aniexty.
What does seem to help is going outside or out somewhere (if aniexty try to avoid lots of people).
The sun helps.
I actually love going outside during the fall. It's so nice to feel a breeze when you're so used to the hot weather in Florida. One of my fish tanks is outside. I love being out there with my dog to watch them. It's a lot more exciting now that there's fry in the tank.
Listen to classical music and just watch your fish. It is one of the most relaxing things that I’ve done. It could help with your bad days too.
I love listening to music, but I usually pair that with falling asleep instead of watching my fish. I'll try that combination tonight. Thank you

I'm going on vacation to North Carolina next Friday to see my cousin. I'm really looking forward to going hiking with them. We might go mountain-climbing as well. Florida is pretty flat, so the hiking trails here are kind of boring. It's more fun with my dog, though
Taking care of animals is one of the healthiest outlets I have found for my depression. It's to the point where I can't even fit anymore tanks/cages in my bedroom lol But having a room full of happy healthy creatures that love me unconditionally...good feeling. Having pets that you can interact with, like snakes..is the best after a crappy day.
Yes, it was hard work getting all of my tanks set up, but the outcome is awesome. I have three tanks in my room, one in the living room, and one outside. It's so rewarding to see such happy animals under my care
I actually started exercising a few months ago when I realized the medicine was causing weight gain. Before I started taking it, I was around 140 pounds. After a couple months, I was at 157 pounds. Right now, I'm back down to 145, which is really exciting. I do feel more energetic when I'm done exercising. I've also been eating healthier. I never realized how unhappy being overweight made me feel sometimes.
I am currently dealing with some pretty bad depression. I'm also bI polar so I get really bad mood swings most days where I'm just really low. Dealing with both at the same time is horrible.

I'm on 3 mood stabilizers (you're only supposed to take one but this combo has been the only thing that works for me that my drs have tried) which do make me feel a ton better. However the issue is they prevent you from feeling emotions. So although I'm not nearly as sad. I can no longer feel happy. Which kinda sucks.

My fish are the closest to happy I have been able to get. I spend waaayyyy too much of my time watching each tank. Outside of this I hardly do anything though.

People say to force yourself to do what would make you happy if you weren't depressed. But that's easier said than done.

The most important thing is to make sure you take care of your basic needs. If your basic needs aren't met you'll never feel better. Eat, drink water, bathe, try to get up and move even if just for a few minutes. Keeping your space clean also helps promote a healthier mindset.

If you want to do more with your days I suggest having a to do list (I use habitica) with some easy simple tasks and reward yourself each day you do them. (A piece of candy was usually my reward) but it's important to tell yourself that it's okay to zone out and decompress. Sometimes that's just what your mind and body needs you to do so it can heal.

I know a fair bit of useful things I can give you information and resources on if you're interested? I spend a good amount of time studying this stuff and the various methods.
I won't be able to use any apps, as I don't have a phone. However, I love making routines on something as simple as a piece of paper. It always makes me feel a bit more organized. Any extra information will always be appreciated, so I'm definitely interested. Thank you
I agree that when I went to Zumba or turbo kick class it helped as well.
I've never really been into dancing, but my mom is a really popular Zumba instructor. She usually gets around 50 people per class.
While I've never suffered from depression or anxiety, whenever I'm having a bad day, I like to walk and work-out. It gives me something to do, while also improving my body and mind. I hope this helps some!
It does. Thank you

luckdown
It's actually a website (they do have an app but it's garbage lol) it's an RPG style to do list. Turning getting things done into a game yay!

Not the most descriptive cuz I'm dying from the heat. But there's a few grounding methods you could try while feeling down (or stressed or anxious).

One is to name something for each of your senses that you can feel/see/touch/smell/hear/taste in that moment. It helps to snap you out of an episode and make you more aware.

Another is to start describing a thing around you/what you're doing to yourself. Again gets you to focus.

Then there's the squared breathing method which just helps you calm down.

Another good one, but can be hard to do, is to go outside in the grass and stand or sit barefoot so your feet are touching the grass. Its supposed to help connect you to the Earth's energy or something? It's a more spiritual method but there is science behind it I'm just forgetting the exact terms cuz the heat is frying my brain lol. But it does help. Mix that with being mindful and listening to the sounds of nature and feeling the wind and sun is really nice.

And meditation helps too. Learning how to clear your mind and being able to listen to how your body feels without feeding into it is wonderful. Essentially you're goal is to accept your thoughts as thoughts and not facts. At least that's what I got out of it. There's many different ways people benefit from it.

Journaling is another good thing to do. When you get intrusive thoughts just start writing everything down. Get it all out. Keep writing until your mind calms down. It's really about letting your thoughts be heard and not surpressing them. Once they're out they're easier to deal with.

Something I like to do is have a positive jar and a worry jar. Essentially it's 2 containers. At the end of the day you write down all your worries or negative feelings on slips of paper (1 worry per slip) then stick it in the jar. Then you write down all the positive things that happened that day and put it in the other jar. Then usually once or twice a month you go through and throw out all your worries and negatives that aren't problems anymore because you successfully dealt with them yay! Then you look to see what you have left to work on. And for the positives check at least the same amount of times but also check whenever you need to be reminded about the good things in life.

There's more but I'll have to get back to you when I don't feel so crappy lol

Adriifu
It's actually a website (they do have an app but it's garbage lol) it's an RPG style to do list. Turning getting things done into a game yay!

Not the most descriptive cuz I'm dying from the heat. But there's a few grounding methods you could try while feeling down (or stressed or anxious).

One is to name something for each of your senses that you can feel/see/touch/smell/hear/taste in that moment. It helps to snap you out of an episode and make you more aware.

Another is to start describing a thing around you/what you're doing to yourself. Again gets you to focus.

Then there's the squared breathing method which just helps you calm down.

Another good one, but can be hard to do, is to go outside in the grass and stand or sit barefoot so your feet are touching the grass. Its supposed to help connect you to the Earth's energy or something? It's a more spiritual method but there is science behind it I'm just forgetting the exact terms cuz the heat is frying my brain lol. But it does help. Mix that with being mindful and listening to the sounds of nature and feeling the wind and sun is really nice.

And meditation helps too. Learning how to clear your mind and being able to listen to how your body feels without feeding into it is wonderful. Essentially you're goal is to accept your thoughts as thoughts and not facts. At least that's what I got out of it. There's many different ways people benefit from it.

Journaling is another good thing to do. When you get intrusive thoughts just start writing everything down. Get it all out. Keep writing until your mind calms down. It's really about letting your thoughts be heard and not surpressing them. Once they're out they're easier to deal with.

Something I like to do is have a positive jar and a worry jar. Essentially it's 2 containers. At the end of the day you write down all your worries or negative feelings on slips of paper (1 worry per slip) then stick it in the jar. Then you write down all the positive things that happened that day and put it in the other jar. Then usually once or twice a month you go through and throw out all your worries and negatives that aren't problems anymore because you successfully dealt with them yay! Then you look to see what you have left to work on. And for the positives check at least the same amount of times but also check whenever you need to be reminded about the good things in life.

There's more but I'll have to get back to you when I don't feel so crappy lol
Thank you! I'll definitely try a lot of this. Feel free to come back

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Gamer
Replies
Views
FinalFins
Replies
Views
hollie1505