55 Gallon Tank What to do(substrate/deco)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got my hands on a 55 from my wife's friend and was thinking CONVICTS! I really like these fish and so far from what I have read they seem quite hardy and easy to keep. I really wanted to toss in a variety but am afraid to mix because of breeding issues so I might just get 4 or 5 and keep them alone.

But anywho, was wondering what I should put in the tank. I definitely want to go the slate/cave route other than flowerpots, and was thinking about stacking the slate and maybe some driftwood from the LFS. But what about substrate? I kinda wanted to try sand and/or some live plants(possible with Con's?).

What do you all think? And is 4-5 too many for a 55?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Good afternoon!

I would advise against more than one pair in a 55g. They get very aggressive when spawning.

I have a pair of convicts with a pair of Jack Dempsey's in two of my 55g tanks. I also have a pair of convicts with a pair of jellybean convicts (pink convict/bloody parrot hybrid) in another 55g tank.

I hope this helps!

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks BB. Would I be limited to just the 2 of them in the entire tank or could I go with a different species and add more? If I'm stuck doing only 2 in a 55 I may not go the convict route

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You could have convicts with JD's in a 55g, a pair of each. We have members that have successfully kept them with other species, so hopefully they'll respond to this thread as well. I don't want to recommend anything I haven't tried myself due the the crazy nature of convicts in general.

What other species are you interested in?

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Was thinking anything Cichlid as long as I stay the American(thanks fishlore ) path. What do you use as far as substrate?

Edit:And how about GBR's?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I use gravel, but I'm lazy. In my 90g and 75g, I use river rock, though. I didn't want to clean that much gravel.

American cichlids are great, many of them, but not all will be happy in a 55g tank. Definitely check their adult size. IMHO-I wouldn't put anything in a 55g tank that gets larger than 12", but each person has to decide what's best for their tank.

Also cichlids are a wee bit nuts, so compatibility is never guaranteed.

GBR's would be great. They do well in tropical community tanks, but won't do well with larger species of cichlids due to aggression levels.

kuhliLoachFan

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My convicts have always been relentless earth-movers. Large gravel would frustrate them. Very very small gravel, or sand, makes mine very very happy. They like to rearrange their tanks, like many cichlids do. More so than most of my other cichlids, they seem to get the urge to redecorate just before they make with the babies.

Please consider keeping the convicts by themselves. When they make babies, which they WILL DO you will have 100 small fish in there. Anybody else in there, will get attacked viciously by the parents (and with good reason!) because they will be on a non-stop crusade (especially a JD) to eat all your new babies. And the babies are cute. So the best way is to enjoy the convicts alone. Buy four and wait until two pair up, and then put the other two up for adoption.

I find their redecoration efforts vastly entertaining, and much helped by the use of sand. They shovel it up with their mouths, and spit it out. Also, when they are doing the brood-care thing for the babies, they will get their bellies down into the sand, and do a "wiggle waggle" dance which stirs up the bottom, releasing (they hope) small things into the water that the babies will eat. They are a wonderful fish, great parents, and very rewarding to keep and to watch. Enjoy!

W

(P.S. I have heard various people say to stay away from sand, due to anaerobic bacteria worries. No way! Just get a few malaysian trumpet snails.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom