What to do so no one gets hurt?

1. bellachan Well Known Member Member

Hey guys! My aunt just messaged me conserned about her angelfish. I wish I had a video to show but I don't. So hopeully you guys can help me with the description she left me....

She thinks her angels are fighting. She has 3 in a 29gallon tank (I think that could be the issue right there). They are now the size of the palm of my hand! (None has bred or shown breeding behavior with each other). They keep bickering. All 3 of them. Apperently not one is more picked on then the other. There is no torn fins or wounds. She has had them for over 6 months so I don't think they are fighting for dominance? She says it's been like this all week now.

I suggested that I take one so that there is more room in the tank. Is that the right thing to do? Or will I make things worse? Again I can't even pin point which angel is the main cause of all this trouble.

Hope you guys can help! I was planning on visiting tonight so your input would be appreciated! Thanks! Lol

2. blusshed Well Known Member Member

I think like you said, having an odd number is not a good idea for Angels...

I personally have no experience with keeping Angels, but I've read a fair amount about them, and it does seem like that becomes problematic more times than not.

Maybe someone else can chime in on this subject... (Which I know others will :p)

I'm not sure if 29gal is considered too small for 3 Angels, but I would suppose that it's possible, and they all want their own space? Aggression in fish can start at any time, even years down the road...

3. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

I think they are maturing and developing a pecking order. A 29 is kind of cramped for 3. It is more suitable for a single. Or a single pair and nothing else. Odds are there is a male and female in there. And even if there isn't, and they are all same sex, there will still be problems. If a couple do pair up and spawn, that tank isn't big enough for the third to hide. There will surely be torn fins, and problems. And if they are all 3 same sex, the same thing could happen.

Angels are best kept in a larger tank as pairs, or as singles. A 29 will work for 1.She should re-home 2 of them, or expect the aggressiveness to get worse. Or if 2 do pair up, re-home the odd one, and don't keep anything else in the tank. And have a plan for a lot of fry. Angels breed often.

4. bellachan Well Known Member Member

I'm glad you guys agree. I told her the issue is most likely the tank size. I am only able to take home 1, so I will observe and see if there is a breeding pair (in that case i'll take the odd one out) or if it's aggression for space. In that case we'll have to get a plan B lol! They are beautiful fish! A gold pearlscale, black marble and koi! I wouldn't want any of them to be stressed or injured. Hopefully my aunt will understand. Thanks guys!