what to do? :S Help 

BubbaGump_59

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hey i have a couple questions and concerns about my fish tank...
have a 33 gal long tank with 2 20 gallon filters on both sides is this ok? I also have noticed that there is a lot of dust in the tank :S will this harm the fish??? also when you look look through the top of the tank you see a oily substence floating is this normal? if not what should i do? and should i upgrade filters?

btw i have a large goldfish and a smaller one in there atm until my aquirium is ready to go tropical i have a 150watt heater and a 50watt backup waiting to be put in. if you need pictures i can attach some if needed. thanks

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
what type of substrate do you have, how long has this tank been up and running. What type of filters are on it brand wise.

BubbaGump_59

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i have 2 elite stingray filters one on each side, the tank has been runing for about 3 weeks to a month i have aquarium gravel at the bottom.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The filters should be fine. As for the dust, do you mean the water is cloudy? Or can you see bits floating around? If it is cloudy there is a whole section of the forum on cloudy water but in newly established tanks it may either be residual dirt from the gravel or bacterial bloom, where the beneficial bacteria are growing in the water = not a bad thing. Did you wash your gravel lots of times before you put it in? Have you put anything else in that may have had the oily stuff on it? There are lots of traps you can fall into at set up. A few partial water changes to see whether things settle may be a good idea.

BubbaGump_59

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yes the rocks where rinsed many times and i see lot of particulars floating around its not cloudy or murky everything was thurally cleaned b4 going into the tank. but i still don't know why the tops so oily :S i will do some water partial water changes and see if that works out. thank for the help. is the oiliness normal for new tank like this or no?

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oily top is probably the food you're feeding. One of my betta foods does the same thing. I just make sure when I clean the tank, I start out by skimming the top water off. Looks nasty but I haven't had any negative effects yet *knock on wood*

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
do you have something covering the top of your tank? Is the tank near the kitchen, or somewhere else that things like aerosol or fumes could get into the tank?

BubbaGump_59

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
no there no cover... yet I'm geting one soon its in a room with in from of a window. ive also noticed the big black goldfish is geting waaaaay golder

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would say the lack of the cover is the problem.
As for your goldfish, I believe it is due to being in warmer waters. I have heard that black goldfish tend to turn gold if it is not lower than like 68 or so in the tank; however, I don't think this causes any ill health for the fish other than the color.

BubbaGump_59

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks for your help!

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
one way to get the oil (more then likely protein from food) out of the tank is to use a bucket it pull the water off the top of the tank like a skimmer would do. it will also help with the dust. this can be done at water change time.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Top Bottom