What to do now?

1. kacie Member Member

I had Camallamus worms in my 20g high. The surviving fish are 1 otto, 3 neon tetras and 2 kulhi loaches. I have ecocomplete substraite, java fern, driftwood with java moss, and a small algae problem.

I used medicated food (which I am not sure anyone ate) to treat the parasite.

What should I do now? Breakdown the tank? Dose the whole tank with a less effective medication? Wait then get more fish? Not sure what to do...

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

if you truely had camallamus worms, I would move every survivor into a qt tank,(and even get them a tank of their own to live in as its so contagious) and bleach the entire tank and start over....id boil anything that can be boiled for 20 mins or so, and throw out anything that cant be boiled.....

3. kacie Member Member

That is a real hardcore answer. I should but don't have a qt tank. Need one huh.

Thanks for setting me straight Shawnie.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

not trying to set you straight or be hardcore ..but if you had the worms, id not put the fish back into any community tank if it were me..they could be carriers that just didnt pass....and the disease is so resistant to so many things, id start from scratch with it all..but again, thats just my opinion ...

try craigslist.org...theres a TON of great priced setups this time of year as people want money for the holidays...i bet you can get an amazing setup for your survivors cheap!

5. kacie Member Member

But the family is not supportive of MTS... Would get into real trouble.

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

another tank is much cheaper than a bunch of new fish cause the tanks empty ;) or just let the survivors live in the old tank, after completely cleaned, for at least 6 months or so before you add anything else....again, thats just my opinion and ive never had the worms so can only speak from my point of view :)

7. kacie Member Member

I'm sure yours is the right course of action. But three tanks... opens all sorts of doors. I do need a qt tank.