What to do now....

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't know what to do now that my Panda Cory (Mo) died. The tank is my Q tank and is now empty. My mum and I both believe that the tank is jinxed, because ever since we bought it we had problems with it, and every fish I have put in there has died. Mo is the one who lasted the longest in there, and he was in there for 10 weeks.

We are thinking of getting rid of it, and buying a new one.

Few Questions:

1) How do I keep the fiter cycled while I take everything out of this tank and then setting up the new one?
2) Also, do I actualy need gravel in a Q tank?
3) should I clean everything in the tank?
4) Would having an airstone in there help?

Thanks

Gwenz

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
1. You can use pure, clear (no additives) ammonia to keep your tank cycled.

2. You don't need gravel in a Q tank. Many hobbyists (me included) do not have gravel in their Q tanks.

3. Everything in the tank should be cleaned since you have had problems. You can bleach everything, but you will have to rinse a lot before setting the tank back up.

4. Airstones can always be used in a Q tank.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gunnie. The filter I have in there, doesn't work very well anymore. It cloggs up all the time, and is now making an annoying humming noise that is realy loud, and it gets on my nerves. If I get a new one can I just put the old filter media in there to start off with to make the tank cycled?

Thanks

Gwenz

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you have left your filter running in that tank, you probably still have some bacteria on it. However, you would also run the risk of carrying over any disease or sickness your fish have died from. Your best bet is to probably start over. I forget what size tank you have, but a sponge filter might be an economical way to go to replace your noisy one.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Gunnie is REALLY right. I never use gravel in my quaratine tanks as it makes it easier to tell if the fish are having bowel movements and also to clean the tanks and make sure they are really clean. It also takes care of any uneaten food. A lot of time if the fish is off their food when they are ill and the food simply falls to the bottom of the tank and so it is hard to tell if they are eating or not. This way you can easily tell, and get the floor of the tank very clean.

Sponge filters are marvelous for quarantine tanks as they do not give a lot of current for sick little fish to have to fight against when they are trying to swim about and they can be easily controlled. Some of them also love to use them as little beds when they are not feeling well. They can also take the place of an airstone because they bubble right along and unless the q tank is large it is enough to oxygenate the tank unless the temperature is raised to a very high temperature. And there is absolutely no noise. They are also very inexpensive and so when the fish are very sick and they are finished with the tank and you want to replace the filter all you have to do is replace the sponge and they are even cheaper.

Rose

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you want I can tell you about the new filter I got Gwenz, it was really cheap I thought. So far I really like it though I haven't set it up yet. It's is to take apart, great directions and you can adjust the way you want to set the flow of the water. I'v heard a lot of good things about it, I'm gona set it up tomorow so I'll let you know if you want hopefully tomorow.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks atmmachine. Let me know how it works. How big is it? It doesn't look very big in the pic. Do you think I could get it in UK? I think I have seen some Elite products in one of my lfs' before. I'll have another look.

Gunnie said:
If you have left your filter running in that tank, you probably still have some bacteria on it. However, you would also run the risk of carrying over any disease or sickness your fish have died from. Your best bet is to probably start over. I forget what size tank you have, but a sponge filter might be an economical way to go to replace your noisy one.
OK thanks Gunnie. My mum thought it would be best to start over, and now you have suggested it too, I think that is what I will do. The tank I have is 6.6gallons, but I think I am getting a new tank instead. The space I have will only fit a tank that is 40cm wide or less, so I can't have a big tank for a Q tank.

Rose - Could this be the kind of sponge filter I'd need?

or this?

How do they work?

Thanks

Gwenz

P.S. - I think I am taking my current tank down today or tomorrw. With nothing in it the filter is running for no reason and it is just taking up space in my room.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
atmmachine - I found this. Is it the same thing?

Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm going to my lfs now to see what they have. I probably won't buy anything, but will just see what kind of filters and small tanks(that I could use as a Q tank) that they have.

Gwenz

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ya that's it, the smalles one which is the one I have isn't that big maybe 5" tall and 3" across, i'm gona set it up later today.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. That is not too big. I saw them at my lfs today. I will probably buy this filter if you find it is quite good. Let me know what it is like.

Gwenz

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ya i measured it it's like a little over 5" tall and 5" wide and a little over 2" deep. It's rather small, if you look at the box it's smaller than that and that box is pretty small. I'm hooking it up tongiht when my dad goes running so he doesn't see me using all the water.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's great, I love it. It's super quite, small, pretty sweet looking for a filter and does the job well so far. I can see it sucking up stuff but not so hard that it will bother the fish. The flow is too hard either and you can adjust it. So far I would recommend it. If you have any questions feel free to ask them but that's all I have time for tonight.

Austin

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks. Sounds good. If I get it it will probably be on the weekend. I have so much homework/coursework these days now I'm back to school, I only just have time to look after the tank I already have, so when I find some time I will probably go to my lfs, to see if they still have them and maybe get a small tank I could use as a Q tank. I let you know when I'm going so I can tell you if I'm buing it or not. Thanks for all the info.

Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
atm, how is the filter working? Still going well?

I just finished cleaning out the tank, and is already in the garage, with a lot of junk. I will probably sell it on E-bay, along with the filter. I will keep the heater to use when I get another tank. I didn't realise I had so much space in my room before I had my tanks. I now have room on my desk to actualy do work. ;D

Gwenz

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom