What To Do Now That My Sick Betta Died?

1. W

Won New Member Member

Evening, people. Sadly, my Betta of three weeks has succumbed to dropsy. He was sick from when I got him from the store, but he fought til the very end. Anyways, I'm considering my options on what to do. There are no other inhabitants in the tank and is completely empty. I was thinking of waiting a few days and treating the water with API General Cure, Erythromycin, Melafix, and maybe Hikari Prazipro to get rid of any remaining parasites/negative bacteria. Am I doing something wrong and am I missing something? Please, advice would be great.

2. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

ammm. I would do a full clean out only using water and try to keep cycled media alive

3. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

You could empty the tank and do a bleach water clean-including decorations and then rinse well followed by using a chlorine neutralizer like Prime by Seachem or one of the other water conditioners. Then refill and reestablish the tank.

4. OP
    OP
    W

Won New Member Member

Would it be safe to keep the filter as is?

5. OP
    OP
    W

Won New Member Member

Would chlorinated water (tap water) kill off the parasites?

6. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

i am not sure...try the bleach water thing as i don't know if chlorine would kill the parasites. I'm no expert on the bleach water method but you should try a 9 part water and 1 part bleach to clean the tank.

7. Bettatude

Bettatude Well Known Member Member

I would not keep any filter media from a tank where a sick fish died. As a member said above, bleach the tank - then rinse and fill the tank with water and add prime, then discard the water. Repeat filling the tank and add prime then discard the water. After that you should be good to go. I would also add to bleach any decorations, gravel, gravel vac, filter, net, anything that came in contract with the sick fish. Anything that you bleach, do the same steps of rinsing and using prime as you would for the tank.

I would discard all food and buy new.

8. OP
    OP
    W

Won New Member Member

Alright, I'm going to dilute the bleach water by filling and emptying the tank three times. Does that sound sufficient?

Also, is there a specific reason why I should discard my food? I have Omega One pellets and they're not even six months old.

9. Bettatude

Bettatude Well Known Member Member

Doing the rinsing and adding prime three times after bleaching sounds like a good plan. After bleaching you can never rinse and prime too many times. :)

Here's a good reference on how to bleach a fish tank safely: Is Bleach Safe for Use in Your Aquarium?

As far as discarding the food and buying new, you don't know if the food was contaminated with your hands, unless you used a spoon for every feeding like I do.

10. OP
    OP
    W

Won New Member Member

Oh, I see about the food. Well I don't think I need to worry about that because I used one of those hair tweezers to pick up individual pellets and drop them into the tank.

Thanks so much for the info. Cheers!

11. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

I would dump the filter material and start the cycle over, if it were me.

12. OP
    OP
    W

Won New Member Member

Yup, I'm doing that by bleaching down the entire tank and parts.