What To Do Next With Internal Parasites Question

1. f

fishboy367 Valued Member Member

So I have noticed one of my African cichlids has internal parasites and I have him in my quarantine tank as of now and I am treating him with general cure and metroplex I have also added Epsom salt as a laxative and he is barely eating and only takes northfin but spits it out half the time so I’m not sure where to go now, and how I know when he is treated successfully.

-Also on another note, he is pooping out white stringy poop.

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

You should use Levamisole HCL. Much more effective.

3. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

That's definitely internal worms. General Cure contains the same medication as PraziPro that can cause some fish to lose their appetite...of course the worms don't help. My fish wouldn't eat for 5 days while being treated, but that was 9 months ago and they're all alive and healthy.

4. OP
    OP
    f

I will try Levamisole HCL if this treatment doesn’t seem to work like if the fish is not eating or getting fatter. Thanks for the help!

5. finnipper59

After my fishes treatment and not having eaten for 5 days, I was fortunate to be able to get them live brine shrimp. They sucked them down quickly. They went back to eating normally after that. So a treat food that they like might be helpful after treatment.

6. OP
    OP
    f

Ok so tomorrow when the treatment is done should I still keep him in the quarantine tank and give him food or should I move him to another tank? And how will I know if treatment worked? Another thing is that the fish wasn’t eating in the first place so that’s why I took him out and put him in quarantine if that helps any!

7. finnipper59

Try feeding him a little in the qt tank 1st. Moving him to new surroundings right may cause him not to eat aas he will go through new tank syndrome...sort of shock. He still will be recovering from any damage done by the pathogens. You will know he's better if he eats anything and slowly becomes more active.

8. OP
    OP
    f

Thanks so much for the help! I will check on him tomorrow and make sure to take out the medication by carbon and a 25% water change if I see he is eating well I guess I can move him back to the display tank the next day. I keep it posted!

9. finnipper59

Good idea. Try giving him giving him the food and immediately get out of his sight. They tend to be more timid about eating when they don't feel up to par.

10. OP
    OP
    f

I didn’t look like he at the food as I see one of 2 pellets on the ground now I’m really not sure what to do?

11. OP
    OP
    f

12. finnipper59

Do you think he posssibly ate one?

13. finnipper59

I've been researching symptoms of diseases again. Although white poop is usually paracites, it is also a symptom of columnaris. So is taking in food and spitting it out. 90% of all columnaris cases show some outward symptoms, but 10% don't until the fish dies. At this point, you've already treated him for paracites. If you can get your hands on Furan or some other treatment for columnaris, I think you should try it asap.

14. finnipper59

Treat him with Furan or something else for columnaris asap.

15. OP
    OP
    f

Ok I will try that he is attempting to eat food but spitting it out and he has an arched belly. I have furan on hand so I will try that. Thanks so much, I’ll keep you posted

16. OP
    OP
    f

I don’t see much improvement but I’ll give him a few days and try to force feed the medicated food

17. finnipper59

Yes. Please try the Furan.