What to do in 10 gal tank

Adam510

Hey so I have my 10 gal tank here that I’ve been having problems with lately. Last night I had 2 cherry barbs disappear/ die?
I’m just wondering what do I do with the 1 cherry barb I have left? I have 3 neon tetra, 2 platy and 1 betta plus him. I also want to know what should I put in the tank for plants / decorations? I’m thinking another live plant but idk which one, I already have subwassertang. I’d want one to really help keep my tank clean because I feel that is why my barbs died? I’m not too sure.

With the barb tho I only have 2 other tanks and both have baby platies in them, one 3.5 gal with 4 week old fry, and a 2.5 gal with 2 2 month fry.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 19

bored411

The plants I have in my 10 gallon are an Anubis and a java fern. Both are growing well, though be careful not to plant either of these wrong! Rhizome needs to be above the gravel. Best bet is to tie it to a rock or decor, though mine are planted in the gravel properly with root tabs to help them as well as liquid fertilizer.

For cleaning, you can try shrimp for sure! Shrimp go out of their way to clean up leftover bits of food fish may have missed as well as algae (I have amano shrimp, which are the biggest). Your other fish should be fine staying put, but keep an eye on how much you're feeding versus how much they leave behind. Cutting back on feeding would help, and proper cleaning with a siphon for the gravel helps too. If you have just a tube too, you can "siphon" that way. I do light cleaning about once a week with a 30% water change to keep levels right.

I would definitely get an API Freshwater kit (if you don't have one) to check your tank levels to make sure it's cycled properly and nothing is too high or low. If you're having trouble keeping the tank clean it's usually because of levels, overstocking, overfeeding, or not cleaning often.

Adam510

The plants I have in my 10 gallon are an Anubis and a java fern. Both are growing well, though be careful not to plant either of these wrong! Rhizome needs to be above the gravel. Best bet is to tie it to a rock or decor, though mine are planted in the gravel properly with root tabs to help them as well as liquid fertilizer.

For cleaning, you can try shrimp for sure! Shrimp go out of their way to clean up leftover bits of food fish may have missed as well as algae (I have amano shrimp, which are the biggest). Your other fish should be fine staying put, but keep an eye on how much you're feeding versus how much they leave behind. Cutting back on feeding would help, and proper cleaning with a siphon for the gravel helps too. If you have just a tube too, you can "siphon" that way. I do light cleaning about once a week with a 30% water change to keep levels right.

I would definitely get an API Freshwater kit (if you don't have one) to check your tank levels to make sure it's cycled properly and nothing is too high or low. If you're having trouble keeping the tank clean it's usually because of levels, overstocking, overfeeding, or not cleaning often.
Okay I like the sound of those plants, I think I’d look into getting a Java fern. Do I need substrate? And I like the sound of shrimp but is my tank overcrowded? I have 2 platies 3 neon tetras a betta and 1 cherry barb I don’t know what to do with. Thanks for the help though. I also don’t have that water test kit, is it expensive? And I plan on now doing water changes every week but I don’t have anything to clean the gravel with. Thanks for all the help

bored411

Okay I like the sound of those plants, I think I’d look into getting a Java fern. Do I need substrate? And I like the sound of shrimp but is my tank overcrowded? I have 2 platies 3 neon tetras a betta and 1 cherry barb I don’t know what to do with. Thanks for the help though. I also don’t have that water test kit, is it expensive? And I plan on now doing water changes every week but I don’t have anything to clean the gravel with. Thanks for all the help
So, using plant substrate would help with nutrients but I have gravel substrate and use root tabs instead (with a bit of added Leaf Zone liquid fertilizer) and both plants are doing fine. Java fern is an easy beginner plant that doesn't need CO2 or high light requirements. Just don't bury the rhizone in the gravel and you should be fine. if you want to do root tabs.

Shrimp have hardly any bioload so adding a few shouldn't make your tank overcrowded (I would do 3-4 amano or 4-5 ghost shrimp if I were you). The "rule" for stocking fish tanks is for every inch of adult fish that's a gallon. So a 10 gallon tank can have 10 1 inch adult fish. You can overstock. My own tank is a bit overstocked, but that just means you need to stay on top of cleaning more often to ensure your levels aren't getting out of hand. So your tank is a little overstocked right now (you have about 11-12 inches of fish), but it's not a big deal as long as you're cleaning at least once a week. My tank is over by almost 5 inches of fish and I clean once a week and everything's fine for me. Again, it depends on your tank levels.

API Freshwater kit is about $25 online. It is far more reliable than any test strips you can get and will last you a good long while before you need to buy a new one. Siphons anywhere from $5-15 depending on where you get it. You can also just use a tube if you want, but you'll have to suck on the other end to get it going and could end up with a mouthful of fish water if you're not careful.

If you've never tested your water before, I would get a kit ASAP. You could have a non-cycled tank if you weren't told properly how to cycle it (I did this with my 10 gallon at first and had fish dying until I figured out I did it wrong. Waiting 2 weeks was what I was told and that isn't how you cycle a tank.). You could also have spiked ammonia levels or nitrite levels that could harm your fish as well. The testing kit is your best shot at knowing what is going on.

Adam510

So, using plant substrate would help with nutrients but I have gravel substrate and use root tabs instead (with a bit of added Leaf Zone liquid fertilizer) and both plants are doing fine. Java fern is an easy beginner plant that doesn't need CO2 or high light requirements. Just don't bury the rhizone in the gravel and you should be fine. if you want to do root tabs.

Shrimp have hardly any bioload so adding a few shouldn't make your tank overcrowded (I would do 3-4 amano or 4-5 ghost shrimp if I were you). The "rule" for stocking fish tanks is for every inch of adult fish that's a gallon. So a 10 gallon tank can have 10 1 inch adult fish. You can overstock. My own tank is a bit overstocked, but that just means you need to stay on top of cleaning more often to ensure your levels aren't getting out of hand. So your tank is a little overstocked right now (you have about 11-12 inches of fish), but it's not a big deal as long as you're cleaning at least once a week. My tank is over by almost 5 inches of fish and I clean once a week and everything's fine for me. Again, it depends on your tank levels.

API Freshwater kit is about $25 online. It is far more reliable than any test strips you can get and will last you a good long while before you need to buy a new one. Siphons anywhere from $5-15 depending on where you get it. You can also just use a tube if you want, but you'll have to suck on the other end to get it going and could end up with a mouthful of fish water if you're not careful.

If you've never tested your water before, I would get a kit ASAP. You could have a non-cycled tank if you weren't told properly how to cycle it (I did this with my 10 gallon at first and had fish dying until I figured out I did it wrong. Waiting 2 weeks was what I was told and that isn't how you cycle a tank.). You could also have spiked ammonia levels or nitrite levels that could harm your fish as well. The testing kit is your best shot at knowing what is going on.
Okay so I can plant them right into my gravel? I’m sorry these words are all just very new to me idk if I fully understand how I can plant a Java fern.

With the shrimp I will definitely look into which kind I like more and get some, will these plants I have be good enough to support them? Also will my betta or other fish eat them? And will they breed and overpopulate?
And I’ll definitely buy that test kit thank you so much for the recommendation. And I think I’ll just buy a tube haha I don’t think I want to end up with fish water In my mouth .

bored411

The Java Fern and Anubis can be planted in the gravel, just lift it up a little so the rhizome is out. Here's pictures of my Java Fern (long leaves) and Anubis (round leaves).
IMG_0971.JPG
IMG_0970.JPG
Mine are both on the small side as I've seen the Java Fern get big. The Anubis grows slow but one leaf at a time from the center of the plant. The Java Fern grows by making mini plants out of the tips of its leaves, which you can see a bit at the top left of the photo. With the Java Fern, you just pluck those new plants off and you can get rid of them or replant them and they'll grow into a new plant. I've been told to wait until the little plant grows 3 leaves before picking them off, so I'm waiting until they do before I'll spread them out along the back of my tank.

I have a platy, a swordtail, a guppy, 2 corys, and 3 amano shrimp in my tank, which is also a 10 gallon. The fish and shrimp don't eat the plants though the shrimp will stand on them and take food or algae off them (and my swordtail likes to hide under the leaves). So you should be fine putting them in your tank without issue. My Java fern isn't as pretty as it could be (looking up pictures will give you a better idea of how big and pretty they can get) and you can get them at various sizes to start out with (I got mine very small), but it's all up to you.

Definitely get root tabs if you put them in gravel (I use Flourish root tabs as they're not as messy as the API ones). And if you do use root tabs, only deep siphon the gravel (as in going all the way to the bottom of the tank) well away from where you put the tabs. My plants are in the back corners of my tank so I deep siphon between them and in the front and middle of the tank. I siphon loose debris from just above the gravel when I'm close to them.

Adam510

The Java Fern and Anubis can be planted in the gravel, just lift it up a little so the rhizome is out. Here's pictures of my Java Fern (long leaves) and Anubis (round leaves).
IMG_0971.JPG
IMG_0970.JPG
Mine are both on the small side as I've seen the Java Fern get big. The Anubis grows slow but one leaf at a time from the center of the plant. The Java Fern grows by making mini plants out of the tips of its leaves, which you can see a bit at the top left of the photo. With the Java Fern, you just pluck those new plants off and you can get rid of them or replant them and they'll grow into a new plant. I've been told to wait until the little plant grows 3 leaves before picking them off, so I'm waiting until they do before I'll spread them out along the back of my tank.

I have a platy, a swordtail, a guppy, 2 corys, and 3 amano shrimp in my tank, which is also a 10 gallon. The fish and shrimp don't eat the plants though the shrimp will stand on them and take food or algae off them (and my swordtail likes to hide under the leaves). So you should be fine putting them in your tank without issue. My Java fern isn't as pretty as it could be (looking up pictures will give you a better idea of how big and pretty they can get) and you can get them at various sizes to start out with (I got mine very small), but it's all up to you.

Definitely get root tabs if you put them in gravel (I use Flourish root tabs as they're not as messy as the API ones). And if you do use root tabs, only deep siphon the gravel (as in going all the way to the bottom of the tank) well away from where you put the tabs. My plants are in the back corners of my tank so I deep siphon between them and in the front and middle of the tank. I siphon loose debris from just above the gravel when I'm close to them.
Okay I’ll definitely get which ever one of those plants I can find first. And okay I’m just worried about a betta eating them since he has eaten some platy fry before. Also I don’t know if those types of shrimp are in my city, if not are other kinds still good? And I’ll look into root tabs thank you

bored411

Okay I’ll definitely get which ever one of those plants I can find first. And okay I’m just worried about a betta eating them since he has eaten some platy fry before. Also I don’t know if those types of shrimp are in my city, if not are other kinds still good? And I’ll look into root tabs thank you
So if you're in the US, Petsmart will have ghost shrimp and fancy shrimp. If your betta is eating fish fry, I would do ghost shrimp or amino (the betta should still leave the plants alone without issue). Fancy shrimp and cherry shrimp are very small and easily mistaken for food. Amano shrimp you can find online or at Petco and they're the biggest shrimp you can get. I initially got my amano for my 3 gallon betta tank but my betta is more aggressive than I expected and being in a small tank means less places for them to hide, so he harassed them and I had to put them in my 10 gallon. Petsmart and Petco have both those plants as well, or again, you can order them online. There are people on Etsy who sell aquatic plants and ship them to you. I got my Monte Carlo from AquaticMotiv on Etsy but got my other plants from Petsmart.

If you do get them from Petsmart/Petco or any other store where they are in plastic tubes, be aware they may "melt" (they turn brown and look like they're melting) as they adjust to being underwater versus in air. As long as there is green growth, the plant is still doing okay and you can always post pictures in this forum to ask for help with the plants. I also know Petsmart also has plants inside a tank that you can get that are already submerged which is a better choice than the non-submerged ones but both my Anubis and Java fern were not submerged and are doing fine.

Adam510

Okay I’m actually in the petsmart parking lot right now where I think I’m going to get some ghost shrimp 4, and maybe a Java fern I’ll see if they have any, I’ll update you guys real soon with what I get
Okay I’m actually in the petsmart parking lot right now where I think I’m going to get some ghost shrimp 4, and maybe a Java fern I’ll see if they have any, I’ll update you guys real soon with what I get
Okay so I ended up getting 4 ghost shrimp, 2 are pregnant but they said the babies won’t survive? Why is that? And I also got an Amazon sword plant or whatever it’s called because she said there easy to grow in gravel and don’t require much work. I also got an API water test kit. Let’s hope this helps my tank out a lot

bored411

Okay so I ended up getting 4 ghost shrimp, 2 are pregnant but they said the babies won’t survive? Why is that? And I also got an Amazon sword plant or whatever it’s called because she said there easy to grow in gravel and don’t require much work. I also got an API water test kit. Let’s hope this helps my tank out a lot
So I'm not an expert but some people believe ghost shrimp can only have their babies in brackish water (not freshwater) but this is only true with a few species that are hard to differentiate. Your biggest issue would be having the babies live to become full adults. They'll most likely get eaten by being mistaken for food because they're small. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Amazon swords are also good beginner plants. They are heavy root feeders so root tabs are a big must for them. This was posted in another thread on this site for tips on the root tabs:

"I recommend Seachem Flourish Root tabs. They come in size similar to a small marble. You can break it up into smaller pieces and put a few of the smaller pieces around the base of each sword plant."

Let me know what your levels come up to be with your test kit and I'll try to help with that too! Again, I've gone through the whole cycling process with what I thought was an established tank so I can help you out if your levels are a bit off and do what I can to help you keep your fish alive and well if they are.

Adam510

So I'm not an expert but some people believe ghost shrimp can only have their babies in brackish water (not freshwater) but this is only true with a few species that are hard to differentiate. Your biggest issue would be having the babies live to become full adults. They'll most likely get eaten by being mistaken for food because they're small. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Amazon swords are also good beginner plants. They are heavy root feeders so root tabs are a big must for them. This was posted in another thread on this site for tips on the root tabs:

"I recommend Seachem Flourish Root tabs. They come in size similar to a small marble. You can break it up into smaller pieces and put a few of the smaller pieces around the base of each sword plant."

Let me know what your levels come up to be with your test kit and I'll try to help with that too! Again, I've gone through the whole cycling process with what I thought was an established tank so I can help you out if your levels are a bit off and do what I can to help you keep your fish alive and well if they are.
Oh okay ya I won’t worry about the babies then, and do I need root tabs? I’m going to be putting the plant in right now and don’t have any, could I maybe go get some supplement instead? Or just get root tabs as soon as possible. And okay I will, I’m not sure if I’m going to test it tonight it’s already late but as soon as I do I will reply in this thread. Any more tips with keeping the shrimp? New to shrimp
Oh okay ya I won’t worry about the babies then, and do I need root tabs? I’m going to be putting the plant in right now and don’t have any, could I maybe go get some supplement instead? Or just get root tabs as soon as possible. And okay I will, I’m not sure if I’m going to test it tonight it’s already late but as soon as I do I will reply in this thread. Any more tips with keeping the shrimp? New to shrimp
So this is what my updated tank looks like
I am very happy now with everything, thanks for all of the help guys :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 14

bored411

I am very happy now with everything, thanks for all of the help guys :)
You should be good for a little bit but I would get root tabs as soon as you can. Amazon swords are root feeders so they need the nutrients from the tabs. Liquid fertilizer/nutrients won’t help.

Shrimp are easy. They eat any left over food or debris in the tank. They eat algae. You can boil a slice of cucumber if you want and drop that in there too and they’ll love it. You might find a molt that’s been shedded as they grow. They might even eat that too but I tend to remove the ones I see from my tank. You’ll be able to tell the difference between the molt and a dead shrimp by the color. The molt is clear usually whereas a dead shrimp tends to be a white or pinkish color, so don’t panic if you see what looks like a dead shrimp. Could just be a molt.

I would see about getting some more decor too. Plastic or live plants would be great. There’s a lot of open space in your tank and giving the shrimp more places to hide should your betta change its mind about them would be great. They’ll love your subwasertang as that tends to hang onto a lot of debris between the leaves. But the more surfaces in your tank the better for them and your fish! My fish love to hide in places and move between leaves of my fake and real plants. You don’t have to, of course, just my suggestion. I’ve got multiple fish that like to just poke in and out of decor and use plant leaves as umbrellas. :)

Adam510

I am very happy now with everything, thanks for all of the help guy
You should be good for a little bit but I would get root tabs as soon as you can. Amazon swords are root feeders so they need the nutrients from the tabs. Liquid fertilizer/nutrients won’t help.

Shrimp are easy. They eat any left over food or debris in the tank. They eat algae. You can boil a slice of cucumber if you want and drop that in there too and they’ll love it. You might find a molt that’s been shedded as they grow. They might even eat that too but I tend to remove the ones I see from my tank. You’ll be able to tell the difference between the molt and a dead shrimp by the color. The molt is clear usually whereas a dead shrimp tends to be a white or pinkish color, so don’t panic if you see what looks like a dead shrimp. Could just be a molt.

I would see about getting some more decor too. Plastic or live plants would be great. There’s a lot of open space in your tank and giving the shrimp more places to hide should your betta change its mind about them would be great. They’ll love your subwasertang as that tends to hang onto a lot of debris between the leaves. But the more surfaces in your tank the better for them and your fish! My fish love to hide in places and move between leaves of my fake and real plants. You don’t have to, of course, just my suggestion. I’ve got multiple fish that like to just poke in and out of decor and use plant leaves as umbrellas. :)
Okay I’ll get root tabs on my next trip to petsmart, and alright I have Christmas moss that is half dead growing in a jar with an air stone next to my window, so once that is all nice and healthy I’ll put it into mg tank too. And okay I will look out for those molts. Thanks for all the help man really made my tank so much better in just 1 day.
Also if I don’t have the Christmas moss for a while, any other plant suggestions for my current situation?

bored411

Okay I’ll get root tabs on my next trip to petsmart, and alright I have Christmas moss that is half dead growing in a jar with an air stone next to my window, so once that is all nice and healthy I’ll put it into mg tank too. And okay I will look out for those molts. Thanks for all the help man really made my tank so much better in just 1 day.
Also if I don’t have the Christmas moss for a while, any other plant suggestions for my current situation?
You can get Java moss at petsmart too I believe. They have it in small betta cups. You can do the other two plants I mentioned as well, and moss balls are easy to just toss in a tank too. All of those are low tech plants that can do well without CO2 injections and do well for me with just root tabs. The moss ball and Java moss should do fine without anything. I’ve also heard hornwort is good (also found at petsmart) though it is a water column feeder and might do better with a liquid fertilizer though I’ve heard they can be fine without anything but I’m not sure.

Adam510

You can get Java moss at petsmart too I believe. They have it in small betta cups. You can do the other two plants I mentioned as well, and moss balls are easy to just toss in a tank too. All of those are low tech plants that can do well without CO2 injections and do well for me with just root tabs. The moss ball and Java moss should do fine without anything. I’ve also heard hornwort is good (also found at petsmart) though it is a water column feeder and might do better with a liquid fertilizer though I’ve heard they can be fine without anything but I’m not sure.
Okay I’ll look into all of these and see what I like best :) thanks so much

Adam510

Alright we’ll I think 2 of them are already dead…

the lady did tell me they just got them the other day and they were stressed and some had been dying so I guess that’s probably why they died

bored411

Alright we’ll I think 2 of them are already dead…

the lady did tell me they just got them the other day and they were stressed and some had been dying so I guess that’s probably why they died
two of what? the shrimp? it's possible they were stressed but it could also be the water. have you tested it yet?

Adam510

two of what? the shrimp? it's possible they were stressed but it could also be the water. have you tested it yet?
Ya the shrimp, and no I didn’t have time I had to leave for work, I will tonight tho and tell you what it is.
And also the lady at petsmart told me they were a new batch and already stressed and some were dying so it’s not a huge surprise they died

Adam510

Ya the shrimp, and no I didn’t have time I had to leave for work, I will tonight tho and tell you what it is.
And also the lady at petsmart told me they were a new batch and already stressed and some were dying so it’s not a huge surprise they died
Come home from work only 1 left alive…

bored411

Come home from work only 1 left alive…
It honestly could be a bad batch of shrimp. I would still check the water though. If it is because of the batch, then you can easily exchange them for replacements but I wouldn’t until you know if it’s the water conditions or not. Your betta wasn’t messing with them at all, right? That’s the only other thing I could think of if it’s not that batch or the water

Adam510

It honestly could be a bad batch of shrimp. I would still check the water though. If it is because of the batch, then you can easily exchange them for replacements but I wouldn’t until you know if it’s the water conditions or not. Your betta wasn’t messing with them at all, right? That’s the only other thing I could think of if it’s not that batch or the water
Okay I’m going to check my water conditions in the next couple hours which I will update with you as soon as I have them, and ya I think I just got a bad batch because no fish were messing with them.

Adam510

So my levels read as
Ph 7-7.6 range
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10 ppm range
Is this all good?

bored411

That’s really good, actually. What temperature is your tank, out of curiosity? It was a bad batch of shrimp most likely. I would say as long as your tank looks clean and the levels stay around that ppm you’re tank is fine.

Adam510

That’s really good, actually. What temperature is your tank, out of curiosity? It was a bad batch of shrimp most likely. I would say as long as your tank looks clean and the levels stay around that ppm you’re tank is fine.
Okay that’s great to here :). And ya I think im going to go get more from a different pet store today. And I actually don’t know my temp, but I do know that my heater has a green light for if it’s good or not and it’s green right now.

bored411

Okay that’s great to here :). And ya I think im going to go get more from a different pet store today. And I actually don’t know my temp, but I do know that my heater has a green light for if it’s good or not and it’s green right now.
I would grab a thermometer just in case. Temp in my tank is about 80. Most fish do well between 70-80F. Amano shrimp are better if you can get them (I think petco sells them). They’re bigger and won’t be as likely to die over small things like ghost shrimp.

WRWAquarium

Shrimp need a very long acclimatisation to a tank I've heard. Many people use the drip method.

At the least I would do what I do with fish. float the bag and slowly over an hour add tank water to the bag with a syringe or small measuring cup so they gradually adjust to the new tank water.

Then carefully net them from bag and add to tank.

My 2 cents :)

Adam510

I would grab a thermometer just in case. Temp in my tank is about 80. Most fish do well between 70-80F. Amano shrimp are better if you can get them (I think petco sells them). They’re bigger and won’t be as likely to die over small things like ghost shrimp.
Okay I will get a thermometer, and I live in Canada so we don’t have petco at least where I live, there’s 2 pet stores I’m going to go look at, then lastly the pet smart in the town over to get ghost shrimp if the others don’t have amano.
Shrimp need a very long acclimatisation to a tank I've heard. Many people use the drip method.

At the least I would do what I do with fish. float the bag and slowly over an hour add tank water to the bag with a syringe or small measuring cup so they gradually adjust to the new tank water.

Then carefully net them from bag and add to tank.

My 2 cents :)
Okay thank you I will try this method out :)
Okay I will get a thermometer, and I live in Canada so we don’t have petco at least where I live, there’s 2 pet stores I’m going to go look at, then lastly the pet smart in the town over to get ghost shrimp if the others don’t have amano.

Edit: the store in my town has amano shrimp, how much should I get with my current set up?
Edit 2: alright so I got 2 amano shrimp! They seem very healthy and agile and it’s from a very respected and healthy small pet store in my city. I was just wondering if these little floating plants that came in the bag with the shrimp would be okay to be put in my tank?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 7

bored411

Edit: the store in my town has amano shrimp, how much should I get with my current set up?
Edit 2: alright so I got 2 amano shrimp! They seem very healthy and agile and it’s from a very respected and healthy small pet store in my city. I was just wondering if these little floating plants that came in the bag with the shrimp would be okay to be put in my tank?
Sounds good! And it's hard to tell from the picture but it could be a duckweed plant which is fine.

Adam510

Sounds good! And it's hard to tell from the picture but it could be a duckweed plant which is fine.
Okay and ya I think I have to take it out anyways it just gets sucked into where my filter is lol

JavaMossMan

Hi Adam,

We had a long discussion about moss previously in another thread. I would recommend you get java fern and just tie it to some gravel or rock like you did the susswassertang or you can bury the roots in the gravel as previously mentioned.

You should also know that the sword plant you received was grown out of water (emersed growth) and the emersed leaves will melt/die slowly while the plant converts to its underwater form. The new leaves will look much different.

Also any aquatic creature you get from a LFS can be hit or miss. Just because it died doesn't mean you did anything wrong. I recommend you get from a local hobbyist if you can.

For testing get tetra strips all in one. Its the easiest and quickest one to use. Just be aware the all in one does not test for ammonia but if your tank has been running for sometime you may not need to test for ammonia. Otherwise you can API freshwater masterkit. This one is probably the best but its more time consuming to test using this.

Where is your christmas moss btw? Drop some of that in your tanks!

Looks like the floating plant is duckweed. Duckweed will clean out your tank very well but also know that it will be difficult to remove as it multiplies very quickly. It will also block out the light making your stock lighting even lower lighting.

Adam510

Hi Adam,

We had a long discussion about moss previously in another thread. I would recommend you get java fern and just tie it to some gravel or rock like you did the susswassertang or you can bury the roots in the gravel as previously mentioned.

You should also know that the sword plant you received was grown out of water (emersed growth) and the emersed leaves will melt/die slowly while the plant converts to its underwater form. The new leaves will look much different.

Also any aquatic creature you get from a LFS can be hit or miss. Just because it died doesn't mean you did anything wrong. I recommend you get from a local hobbyist if you can.

For testing get tetra strips all in one. Its the easiest and quickest one to use. Just be aware the all in one does not test for ammonia but if your tank has been running for sometime you may not need to test for ammonia. Otherwise you can API freshwater masterkit. This one is probably the best but its more time consuming to test using this.

Where is your christmas moss btw? Drop some of that in your tanks!

Looks like the floating plant is duckweed. Duckweed will clean out your tank very well but also know that it will be difficult to remove as it multiplies very quickly. It will also block out the light making your stock lighting even lower lighting.
Okay, I was going to get Java fern but the petsmart worker was telling me the sword would be better and easier so I went with that, I didn’t think it was a big deal I just wanted something that had that type of look to it.

Will my Amazon sword die? Or just look very different? And also how can I fit more plants in my tank with it not being overcrowded? I’m open to getting more if I can make it work.

And I already got the API master test kit and used it last night, yes it did take some time but I didn’t mind too much and I like having all the tests just to know.

Okay I will put some Christmas moss in, I’m just worried it’s not healthy enough but I’ll just put a nice little ball in of the healthiest stuff I have.

okay well the duckweed just sits stuck in one place anyways since my filter pulls it into a spot so I’m probably going to just remove it anyways, but I’m not too sure I kind of like the idea of having a little bit of it.
Thanks for all the help again.

bored411

Okay, I was going to get Java fern but the petsmart worker was telling me the sword would be better and easier so I went with that, I didn’t think it was a big deal I just wanted something that had that type of look to it.

Will my Amazon sword die? Or just look very different? And also how can I fit more plants in my tank with it not being overcrowded? I’m open to getting more if I can make it work.

And I already got the API master test kit and used it last night, yes it did take some time but I didn’t mind too much and I like having all the tests just to know.

Okay I will put some Christmas moss in, I’m just worried it’s not healthy enough but I’ll just put a nice little ball in of the healthiest stuff I have.

okay well the duckweed just sits stuck in one place anyways since my filter pulls it into a spot so I’m probably going to just remove it anyways, but I’m not too sure I kind of like the idea of having a little bit of it.
Thanks for all the help again.
Both the java fern and the sword are easy beginner plants. I tried a sword but it was when I was new to plants and it did not turn out well due to lack of light and the root tabs were too far away from it. Java fern worked easier for me, though I would try a sword again if I wanted more plants.

Your amazon sword shouldn't die. The plants I got were both from petsmart and grown out of water (they came in the tubes). I put them in and had no melting at all. My java fern and anubis took a while to grow but they are growing.

If your plant does melt, it will turn a sort of brownish tint and new green leaves will grow. You'll want to trim the brown leaves near their base and only one or two at a time to give the new green leaves room to grow. I've attached a picture from another post on this forum to show you what it would look like.

1632622690262.png

Adam510

Both the java fern and the sword are easy beginner plants. I tried a sword but it was when I was new to plants and it did not turn out well due to lack of light and the root tabs were too far away from it. Java fern worked easier for me, though I would try a sword again if I wanted more plants.

Your amazon sword shouldn't die. The plants I got were both from petsmart and grown out of water (they came in the tubes). I put them in and had no melting at all. My java fern and anubis took a while to grow but they are growing.

If your plant does melt, it will turn a sort of brownish tint and new green leaves will grow. You'll want to trim the brown leaves near their base and only one or two at a time to give the new green leaves room to grow. I've attached a picture from another post on this forum to show you what it would look like.

1632622690262.png
Okay so I give my tank about 14-16 hours of light a day do you think that’s good? And okay maybe I’ll try and get a Java fern next but I also want more places for my fish to hide so I’m not too sure if that’s what I want yet.
My Amazon sword was in a tank fully submerged when I got it from petsmart too so I don’t know if that makes a difference.
Okay I’ll watch out for those types of leaves, I already saw a few reddish looking ones growing from the bottom I don’t know if that means anything or not.

bored411

If it was a submerged sword you shouldn't have as much melting or any at all. It might still have leaves turn brown as it grows. My dwarf sag. plants occasionally have leaves turn brown and die off as new ones grow. but submerged plants acclimate easier than emersed and don't have as much trouble.

14-16 hours might be a tiny bit too much. 10-12 hours is enough need for them. I turn my tank lights on at 10am and off at 7pm because that is what works best with my schedule (my dog gets up at 10 and gets fed and let out, then she goes to bed at 7pm). Too much light could encourage algae growth, so keep an eye out for that, but you should be fine at 14 hours. If you start getting lots of algae I would cut back a few hours.

Adam510

If it was a submerged sword you shouldn't have as much melting or any at all. It might still have leaves turn brown as it grows. My dwarf sag. plants occasionally have leaves turn brown and die off as new ones grow. but submerged plants acclimate easier than emersed and don't have as much trouble.

14-16 hours might be a tiny bit too much. 10-12 hours is enough need for them. I turn my tank lights on at 10am and off at 7pm because that is what works best with my schedule (my dog gets up at 10 and gets fed and let out, then she goes to bed at 7pm). Too much light could encourage algae growth, so keep an eye out for that, but you should be fine at 14 hours. If you start getting lots of algae I would cut back a few hours.
Okay ya that sounds good and I understand the plants will have parts die off and new parts grow so I’m ready to handle that.

And okay I usually just do it where I turn them off when I go to work and on when I get back because I stay up late at night and always check in on them and I can’t see the tank when the lights are off then. But I might have to turn the lights off for longer if I notice a lot of algae growth so I’ll watch for it.

edit: my last ghost shrimp has appeared! I assumed he didn’t make it like the others but he’s still alive and well. Should I be worried about him dying since he’s the lone ghost shrimp with 2 larger shrimp with him now?

bored411

Okay ya that sounds good and I understand the plants will have parts die off and new parts grow so I’m ready to handle that.

And okay I usually just do it where I turn them off when I go to work and on when I get back because I stay up late at night and always check in on them and I can’t see the tank when the lights are off then. But I might have to turn the lights off for longer if I notice a lot of algae growth so I’ll watch for it.

edit: my last ghost shrimp has appeared! I assumed he didn’t make it like the others but he’s still alive and well. Should I be worried about him dying since he’s the lone ghost shrimp with 2 larger shrimp with him now?
You should have to worry about him. The shrimp leave each other alone so they won’t bug him. He should be fine.

JavaMossMan

Both are good low light plants but java fern is easier to propogate and may be a bit easier to grow. No problem in having both. Swords do best in lower light settings with longer hours.

14 hours is too much light because you may end up with algae. What you can do is something called a siesta method. Keep your lights on for 4-5 hours then give your tank a 4-6 hour break and then turn it on for 4-5 hours. This gives you 8-10 hours of light but the plants may count the in between break as hours of light.

For example many plants usually grow best in longer periods of light like 10-12+ hours/day. Using the siesta method you can do 4-5 hours lights on then do a 4-6 hour lights off period then 4-5 hours lights on. I do 5 hours on + 6 hours off + 5 hours on. The plants may count that as 5+6+5 for 16 hours of light. CO2 that regenerates during the night get used up in the first 4-6 hours and then CO2 will regenerate during those 6 hours off giving the plants some CO2 for the final 4-6 hours. When plants run out of CO2 you will most likely run into algae issues as algae do not need CO2 as much as plants to grow.

Many of the plants you buy in the store come in the emersed form. Usually java fern also comes in the emersed form. So you have to wait a few weeks for the plant to convert to the submerged form. All the older leaves will fall off or melt and new leaves will come in one by one.

I would recommend Diana Walstad's book Ecology Of The Planted Tank for more information on running a natural low tech tank.

Edit:
For the siesta method you will need a timer. Costs a few dollars at home depot.

Adam510

You should have to worry about him. The shrimp leave each other alone so they won’t bug him. He should be fine.
Okay sounds good thank you.
Both are good low light plants but java fern is easier to propogate and may be a bit easier to grow. No problem in having both. Swords do best in lower light settings with longer hours.

14 hours is too much light because you may end up with algae. What you can do is something called a siesta method. Keep your lights on for 4-5 hours then give your tank a 4-6 hour break and then turn it on for 4-5 hours. This gives you 8-10 hours of light but the plants may count the in between break as hours of light.

For example many plants usually grow best in longer periods of light like 10-12+ hours/day. Using the siesta method you can do 4-5 hours lights on then do a 4-6 hour lights off period then 4-5 hours lights on. I do 5 hours on + 6 hours off + 5 hours on. The plants may count that as 5+6+5 for 16 hours of light. CO2 that regenerates during the night get used up in the first 4-6 hours and then CO2 will regenerate during those 6 hours off giving the plants some CO2 for the final 4-6 hours. When plants run out of CO2 you will most likely run into algae issues as algae do not need CO2 as much as plants to grow.

Many of the plants you buy in the store come in the emersed form. Usually java fern also comes in the emersed form. So you have to wait a few weeks for the plant to convert to the submerged form. All the older leaves will fall off or melt and new leaves will come in one by one.

I would recommend Diana Walstad's book Ecology Of The Planted Tank for more information on running a natural low tech tank.

Edit:
For the siesta method you will need a timer. Costs a few dollars at home depot.
Okay I’ll definitely be getting a Java fern in the future for atleast one of my tanks. And okay ya I now realize I have too much light, so I’m going to make sure to turn them off more if it’s by the way you said or just turning them off all night or day. Thank you for all the help man I really appreciate it. Feels good to know how helpful the community is because I definitely needed the help lol.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Adam510
Replies
Views
Adam510
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views