What to do if Your Tap Water has Ammonia

mattyluke

Reaction score
Hello, I just finally tested my tap water and per my test kit, it states there is a low level of ammonia in it. What should I do about my water changes? Do I put something like ammolock in to it prior to the water change? I will also note that I may still be cycling and am having ammonia issues (per my other posts). I live in Northeast Philadelphia so maybe their is someone else out there that has the same water I do?

Sorry if I'm redundant but I have not come across this question yet. Thanks as always.

Regards,

Matt

OP
M

mattyluke

Reaction score
I used that weird one w the powder. It is made by Red Sea. I'm actually going out now to buy the Aquarium Pharm. one.

ewolfe315

Reaction score
You may want to try Start Right(liquid) and then add ACE(liquid) when doing water changes. A teaspoon of each is good for 10 gallons. I live here in the Wilkes-Barre Area and we are highly loaded with Chloramine. Have even been told to double the dosage during certain times in the year.

If you can get to Lancaster go to ThatPetPlace store you can get both bottles for around $11 and there 16 oz. bottles

START RIGHT=Removes Chlorine and Chloramine
ACE =Ammonia,Chloromine and Chlorine Eliminator

John

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Mattyluke, Seachem's Prime removes chlorine, chloramine, nitrite, and ammonia.

One, even small, bottle of Prime will last you much longer than your usual dechlorinator from your local fish store. This makes Prime much cheaper to use.

lisab53

Reaction score
Yikes, someone else like me, testing their tap water. I'm in the same boat as you. I wonder what good changing my water does when my tap water test positive for ammonia. I'm in the Southern York County area of PA and I called my water company to find out if they use chlorine or chlomaides? They said they used chlorine at a rate of 2.7 ppm. So I drew a two gallon bucket of water and put in my water conditioner following the chlorine instructions. I tested the water in the bucket and it was still low positive for ammonia, so I drew another two gallons of water and treated it with the Chloromaides instructions. Tested this bucket of water and it tested positive for ammonia. I bought tetra ammonia detox, drew another 2 gallons of water, tested it and it tested even higher for ammonia. I read that when you use these ammonia detox products you still can get a false positive reading unless you are using a salicylate based test kit, so I bought one and tested the treated water and it still shows positive for ammonia. I finally decided to bring home well water from my parents home, and am slowing using it for pwc. The well water tested negative for ammonia and my dads fish are doing great.

Good look,
Lisa

New Threads