What to do if one of the testing kit reagents runs out before the others?

StinkyLoaf

This is a question I’ve never seen get asked before, but I want to know about any precautions to take if one of the reagants in a drip/liquid test runs out before the others.

The reagent I’ve been using the most is the nitrite reagent because I was monitoring a nitrite spike in a cycling tank closely.

The reagents I’ve been using the least, in fact, not at all, are the carbonate hardness and general hardness reagents because I feel these parameters are less important to consider and the method of testing for them sounds difficult to do correctly.

I’m not using an API Master Test Kit (I probably would in the future) but I am using an NTlabs Aquarium Lab Test Kit that can test for the main six parameters. I avoid using test strips because they give false readings too frequently.

Betta'sAnonymous

I have never seen them for sale individually, but you can look into that. Otherwise, you would probably have to buy the whole test kit over again.

carsonsgjs

Pretty sure you can get them in single tests - you can in the uk anyway so would have thought it would also be available in the us.

StinkyLoaf

I have actually seen them for sale individually before. The issue with this is that these individual kits aren’t much cheaper than a kit that tests for all six parameters, so by purchasing these you’re not getting a good deal…

I read the expire date on the kit I’m currently using and it expires in September of 2022. I predict that the kit should expire before I can use all of a reagent, and I‘ll also try to limit how many tests I perform (especially nitrite tests). Next time I’ll look for an API Master Test Kit because it’s cheaper than the one I’m using, can probably perform more tests and is widely known/recommended. The expire date of my current kit is close to my birthday so I could perhaps get a new kit using birthday money.

My fish retailer recently underwent new management and have stopped selling products that are less efficient, so hopefully when the time comes I can get my hands on an API Master Test Kit either by looking there or ordering one.

StinkyLoaf

Dennis57 said:
API Master Test Kit on Amazon is only 25.00
I’m in the UK so the number should be less in pounds. The test kit I currently have costed £35! Of course, I’ll only consider getting an API kit once my current kit has expired.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom