What To Do For Hermit Crab Shells

Discussion in 'Saltwater Crabs' started by Ankers, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Ankers

AnkersWell Known MemberMember

i want to get a Scarlett reef hermit crab for a 32 gallon bio-cube. What should I do for shells?

2. Maggie321

Maggie321Valued MemberMember

When you but the hermit, ask for a few loose empty shells for it to grow into.

3. Maggie321

Maggie321Valued MemberMember

Buy **

4. OP
    OP
    Ankers

AnkersWell Known MemberMember

But where to buy

5. fishfanman

fishfanmanValued MemberMember

Yeah, buy snails. Hermits will take their shell when it decides it needs a new home. Mine does that maybe every 6 months, but I don't feed my CC at all.

6. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Unless you live out in the boondocks, you probably have a store somewhere in your area that deals with saltwater fish. If so go in and ask them if they have some spare shells for hermit crabs. Generally they have no problem just giving you a few. If you have to order online then order the crabs and some snails and there will be extra shells by default. Usually you have multiple hermit crabs in a tank of that size.

7. Floundering_Around

Floundering_AroundWell Known MemberMember

When I buy my hermits, I always ask for a few extra shells. The tank is littered with them, either from dead snails or dead hermits that they ordered in. I have about ten extra shells to give me three hermits a variety of shells to molt into.