What To Do For Back Up For A Filter That Does Not Self Prime?

FishMich
Hello,

We are away on vacation and now I’ve realized that if there is a power outage while we are gone, our filter won’t run when the power comes back on because it needs to be filled with water again!

We have a 12 gallon Fluval Edge tank and it comes with an Aquaclear 20 filter. What can I use/add to the tank for back up? Fingers crossed that the fish are fine until we are back on Monday, but we leave again on Tuesday for another week. Would like to grab something before we leave, if we can!

david1978
Iv never had an issue with any of my aquaclears starting back up after a power outage. After a few people said about they heard they don't start back up so I played around during a water change and my tank had to ne 4" low on water till it would have an issue.

Fashooga
You could always put a sponge filter in the corner of the tank. It’s not great looking but it’s a good backup cause it doesn’t need to prime.

FishMich
You could always put a sponge filter in the corner of the tank. It’s not great looking but it’s a good backup cause it doesn’t need to prime.
Thank you! I’m trying to wrap my head around sponge filters. I’m still new and trying to figure things out. So I would need to buy a sponge filter of a certain size, a tube, and an air pump? What sizes do I need for a 12 gallon tank?

DarkOne
Aquaclears will start up again after a power outage if the water level in the tank is higher than the impeller in the AC. It won't self prime during water changes but I leave mine running and have no issues.

A sponge filter is just for BB to grow in and filters ammonia and nitrites in the tank. It is NOT for filtering debris in the tank.

FishMich
Aquaclears will start up again after a power outage if the water level in the tank is higher than the impeller in the AC. It won't self prime during water changes but I leave mine running and have no issues.

A sponge filter is just for BB to grow in and filters ammonia and nitrites in the tank. It is NOT for filtering debris in the tank.
Ok good to know, thank you!

Iv never had an issue with any of my aquaclears starting back up after a power outage. After a few people said about they heard they don't start back up so I played around during a water change and my tank had to ne 4" low on water till it would have an issue.
Thank you!

Lunnietic
Ive never had an issue with my aquaclear starting back after the power being out. As long as the water level is high enough it should be fine.

sfsamm
If your tank is filled enough to prevent evap from bringing the level down to the impeller than it should be fine after a power outage. HOB filters that have the impeller in the filter rather than in the water do not restart after a water change because the water is drained lower than the impeller and so the water syphons back out of the filter and into the tank. Keeping the water level high enough should prevent that. You can test it by unplugging the filter while the tank is filled, waiting a couple minutes and plugging it back in, it should start right back up.
Otherwise you can look for one like the marina slI'm filters that has the impeller in the tank or go with a sponge filter. You wouldn't be able to seed the sponge filter well in a week but with a hob you can add half the media from your existing filter and do away with the cartridges that exist in the new one and have a significant jump start on BB in the new filter if something did happen.

I'd test pulling the cord on what you have first though as all my hob filters restart just fine after power bumps so long as the water isn't removed from the tank.

Fashooga

Yeah you could buy one rated for like 20g. Than you would just plug the air hose in to the sponge and that’s it. Plop it into the tank and there’s your back up.

Hunter1
Huge fan of sponge filters, have at least one in every tank and is the only filters in a couple.

But that won’t help for next week. It won’t be cycled.

But for the future, it would be my go to backup.

Set the airpump above the tank or buy a anti- back flow device for the airline so water doesn’t siphon back into the air pump during a power outage. Only a couple of bucks.

FishMich
Thank you, everyone!!! You put my mind at ease my last couple of days away. We came home last night and everything was ok. I now know a power blip and a water change would cause different outcomes because of the differences in water level. We leave again today for another week, and feel much more comfortable. Although, I think I will look into sponge filters and a battery powered air pump for times when the power is out for an extended amount of time. Thanks again!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RSababady
Replies
Views
maggie thecat
Replies
Views
Tanks and Plants
Replies
Views