What To Do... First Power Outage!

Megaanemp

Hello all,

Were experiencing out first power outage in more than 5 years. Because power outages are so rare here I’m foolishly unprepared.
So far I’ve covered all tanks with blankets and towels. Luckily the room is very hot because I accidentally left the thermostat cranked before we lost power.
I don’t have anything for surface agitation and the tanks are covered up tight. What’s best to do will they be fine with no surface agitatio? It’s night here so the plants are probably going to use up some oxygen as well. Do I stir the water?

LowConductivity

If you’ve got canister filters, now would be the time to pop the tops off of them. No 02 in a can makes for a rough restart

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

If you’ve got canister filters, now would be the time to pop the tops off of them. No 02 in a can makes for a rough restart
I do have a canister. Is it best to put all the media into the tank if the power stays out for a while? I’ll take the top off for now. Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Hello all,

Were experiencing out first power outage in more than 5 years. Because power outages are so rare here I’m foolishly unprepared.
So far I’ve covered all tanks with blankets and towels. Luckily the room is very hot because I accidentally left the thermostat cranked before we lost power.
I don’t have anything for surface agitation and the tanks are covered up tight. What’s best to do will they be fine with no surface agitatio? It’s night here so the plants are probably going to use up some oxygen as well. Do I stir the water?
I think they'll be fine with no surface agitation as long as they are on the lower end for stocking level and have plants. Just try to keep them warm and keep checking on news about when the power will come back on. If the outages start happening more often, you may want to invest in a generator. I have one and it's great since we can live somewhat normally during a power outage.

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

I think they'll be fine with no surface agitation as long as they are on the lower end for stocking level and have plants. Just try to keep them warm and keep checking on news about when the power will come back on. If the outages start happening more often, you may want to invest in a generator. I have one and it's great since we can live somewhat normally during a power outage.
Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

fishnovice33

They will be fine for hours.

I have outages all the time. Usually last about 10 hours. I wouldn’t worry about oxygen unless it lasts for several days.

Temps will be biggest issue. But it will also take several days (2+) to get cold enough to kill them unless you live in a freezing area (I do).

If your water is heated by gas (luckily mine is), just fill up some water/plastic bottles with as hot as water as you can, let them float and replace every 2 hours or whatever.

You can also dose something that helps ammonia like Prime.

Unless it’s off for 2-3 days it won’t be an issue just a pain.

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

Thank again for you help everyone. I really do appreciate it Fortunately, the power was only out for 5 hours and the fish are doing well.

Upvote 0

dwc13

Consider buying a battery powered air pump, sufficient tubing, check valve and an airstone so they're available for use the next power outage. I had a couple of these backups and used them @5 times over the years. We had several multiple day power outages because of the poor electric grid design. Even though we had a portable generator, it was used to keep the refrigerator & freezer running and also to power computers/electronics.

Depending upon the size of your tanks, the water temperature might not change too quickly. If it was the middle of winter and really cold inside your house and the water temperature in the aquarium was dropping too fast for comfort, you could place a HotHands Hand Warmer (disposable packets) inside a ZipLoc quart size freezer bag and float it inside your aquarium. If you have a smaller tank, you can tape it to the outside. Keep an eye on the water temperature and remove as appropriate.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
10 Gallon Tank Power outage?
Replies
Views
Mandy627
Replies
Views
Ryngwrayth
Replies
Views