What To Do During A Power Outage?

Fancyfins

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi there! So, in a hour or two, my state will have a BIG storm, and I have no clue what to do if my house looses power. I have one tank, a 3.5 gallon betta tank with one betta and one Mystery Snail. It IS cycled, and I don’t know what to do if the filter shuts off. Will the ammonia spike? Should I do water changes hourly or something like that? What do you guys recommend? I don’t want my little guy to get hurt. Thank you ahead of time!

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We lost power for a week once. I just kept pouring tank water in the filter whenever I remembered to, to keep the bacteria fed. Maybe I got lucky but it never cycled on me during or after.

If you go a while without power and are concerned, start testing every 8 hours or so, and do a moderate water change if you see any spikes. If it was a betta by itself I wouldn't worry at all for a few days, but with a mystery snail it may be a little much for 3.5 gallons to dilute. Both are air breathers so no worries about oxygenation, though splashing water through the filter will do exactly that.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom