What To Do Another Saltwater Or Planted Fresh

vikingpillage89

Reaction score
So I'm on my 3rd nano all waterbox 10s 2 saltwater and one empty I'm debating with myself to do another saltwater or try something new and Do a planted something along the lines of a carpeting plant some flourite substrate and some rock what should I do?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmmm to come were the light is or stay on the dark side. Lol. I guess it depends on what your after. Plants are nice and would be something new to explore.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
vikingpillage89 said:
So I'm on my 3rd nano all waterbox 10s 2 saltwater and one empty I'm debating with myself to do another saltwater or try something new and Do a planted something along the lines of a carpeting plant some flourite substrate and some rock what should I do?
I'm the opposite, I have 3 freshwater nanos and want to do a nano reef!

If you want carpets you'll need a nutrient rich substrate (so no Flourite), high lighting and CO2.

OP
vikingpillage89

vikingpillage89

Reaction score
Fahn said:
I'm the opposite, I have 3 freshwater nanos and want to do a nano reef!

If you want carpets you'll need a nutrient rich substrate (so no Flourite), high lighting and CO2.
Dang maybe I should do 2 dwarf cichlids in my 10 cube use some cichlid sand and some old clean dry rock thoughts planted is something I wanna do but I'm scared lol.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
vikingpillage89 said:
Dang maybe I should do 2 dwarf cichlids in my 10 cube use some cichlid sand and some old clean dry rock thoughts planted is something I wanna do but I'm scared lol.
Cichlid sand is for African cichlids, most dwarf cichlids are from Central and South America and prefer a neutral to lower pH.

You could do some easy low-tech plants like java fern, cryptocorynes, and anubias, with some driftwood and a school of nano fish such as dwarf emerald rasbora. A dwarf shrimp colony would also be a fun and colorful tank.

OP
vikingpillage89

vikingpillage89

Reaction score
Fahn said:
Cichlid sand is for African cichlids, most dwarf cichlids are from Central and South America and prefer a neutral to lower pH.

You could do some easy low-tech plants like java fern, cryptocorynes, and anubias, with some driftwood and a school of nano fish such as dwarf emerald rasbora. A dwarf shrimp colony would also be a fun and colorful tank.
I've decided on a a pea puffer semI planted

What substrate you would recommend for pea puffers with some Amazon swords planted?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
vikingpillage89 said:
What substrate you would recommend for pea puffers with some Amazon swords planted?
I personally like to use Controsoil, an aquasoil. It's packed with nutrients and maintains a neutral to slightly acidic pH that a lot of freshwater plants and fish prefer.

However, plain old sand with root tabs will work just fine, along with weekly fertilizer dosing. Swords are hungry plants.

OP
vikingpillage89

vikingpillage89

Reaction score
Fahn said:
I personally like to use Controsoil, an aquasoil. It's packed with nutrients and maintains a neutral to slightly acidic pH that a lot of freshwater plants and fish prefer.

However, plain old sand with root tabs will work just fine, along with weekly fertilizer dosing. Swords are hungry plants.
Would that fluval statI'm be ok for pea puffers I plan on packing some rock and lots of swords maybe some wood

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
vikingpillage89 said:
Would that fluval statI'm be ok for pea puffers I plan on packing some rock and lots of swords maybe some wood
Fluval Stratum will be fine, plants do quite well in it.

If you really want the puffers to feel at home, consider some cryptocorynes, they're from the same region as the puffers!

OP
vikingpillage89

vikingpillage89

Reaction score
Fahn said:
Fluval Stratum will be fine, plants do quite well in it.

If you really want the puffers to feel at home, consider some cryptocorynes, they're from the same region as the puffers!
Thanks fahn you have been the most help I've ever had on this app much love and wish me luck Its my first fresh in years.

Did it
20190422_202658.jpg
20190422_202654.jpg
20190422_202710.jpg

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
vikingpillage89 said:
It's a hipagero from Amazon its equal to like kessil a80 how does the tank look I added seachem flourish and stability to jump start bacteria with prime to dechlorinate the water.
Oh I almost got one of those a little while back. Looks good!

OP
vikingpillage89

vikingpillage89

Reaction score
Fahn said:
Oh I almost got one of those a little while back. Looks good!
Thanks fahn I did see a bit of ammonia in my tap water so I didn't dose ammonia I'm hoping after days of dosing stability I should start to jump start the cycle man it feels weird doing a freshwater but so awesome seeing greens

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
vikingpillage89 said:
Thanks fahn I did see a bit of ammonia in my tap water so I didn't dose ammonia I'm hoping after days of dosing stability I should start to jump start the cycle man it feels weird doing a freshwater but so awesome seeing greens
If you feel like it, get some ammonium chloride (Dr. Fosters sells some) and get that ammonia up to 4ppm. That sounds high, but once your tank has the capacity to process that within 24 hours, you can stock it a bit heavier from the beginning without having to worry about getting any hiccups from the added bioload.

OP
vikingpillage89

vikingpillage89

Reaction score
Fahn said:
If you feel like it, get some ammonium chloride (Dr. Fosters sells some) and get that ammonia up to 4ppm. That sounds high, but once your tank has the capacity to process that within 24 hours, you can stock it a bit heavier from the beginning without having to worry about getting any hiccups from the added bioload.
Ok sweet I will dose ammonia tommorw also should I run the light on 10 hours cycles while cycling for plants ?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
vikingpillage89 said:
Ok sweet I will dose ammonia tommorw also should I run the light on 10 hours cycles while cycling for plants ?
Start off at 6 hours to prevent algae issues, once your plant mass fills in or you decide to plant heavier you can gradually dial it up an hour per week.

OP
vikingpillage89

vikingpillage89

Reaction score
Fahn said:
Start off at 6 hours to prevent algae issues, once your plant mass fills in or you decide to plant heavier you can gradually dial it up an hour per week.
Ok will do and I will keep you updated thank you for the support in my transition into the freshwater world.

New Threads