Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

What To Do Another Saltwater Or Planted Fresh

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by vikingpillage89, Apr 19, 2019.

1. vikingpillage89Valued MemberMember

So I'm on my 3rd nano all waterbox 10s 2 saltwater and one empty I'm debating with myself to do another saltwater or try something new and Do a planted something along the lines of a carpeting plant some flourite substrate and some rock what should i do?

2. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Hmmm to come were the light is or stay on the dark side. Lol. I guess it depends on what your after. Plants are nice and would be something new to explore.

3. Nick72Valued MemberMember

You should start by showing us some photo's of your current tanks

4. FahnFishlore VIPMember

I'm the opposite, I have 3 freshwater nanos and want to do a nano reef!

If you want carpets you'll need a nutrient rich substrate (so no Flourite), high lighting and CO2.

5. vikingpillage89Valued MemberMember

Dang maybe I should do 2 dwarf cichlids in my 10 cube use some cichlid sand and some old clean dry rock thoughts planted is something I wanna do but im scared lol.

6. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Cichlid sand is for African cichlids, most dwarf cichlids are from Central and South America and prefer a neutral to lower pH.

You could do some easy low-tech plants like java fern, cryptocorynes, and anubias, with some driftwood and a school of nano fish such as dwarf emerald rasbora. A dwarf shrimp colony would also be a fun and colorful tank.

7. vikingpillage89Valued MemberMember

I've decided on a a pea puffer semi planted

What substrate you would recommend for pea puffers with some Amazon swords planted?

8. FahnFishlore VIPMember

I personally like to use Controsoil, an aquasoil. It's packed with nutrients and maintains a neutral to slightly acidic pH that a lot of freshwater plants and fish prefer.

However, plain old sand with root tabs will work just fine, along with weekly fertilizer dosing. Swords are hungry plants.

9. vikingpillage89Valued MemberMember

Would that fluval statim be ok for pea puffers I plan on packing some rock and lots of swords maybe some wood

10. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Fluval Stratum will be fine, plants do quite well in it.

If you really want the puffers to feel at home, consider some cryptocorynes, they're from the same region as the puffers!

11. vikingpillage89Valued MemberMember

Thanks fahn you have been the most help I've ever had on this app much love and wish me luck Its my first fresh in years.

Did it 20190422_202658.jpg20190422_202654.jpg20190422_202710.jpg

12. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Nice, do you know the PAR of that light?

13. vikingpillage89Valued MemberMember

It's a hipagero from Amazon its equal to like kessil a80 how does the tank look I added seachem flourish and stability to jump start bacteria with prime to dechlorinate the water.

14. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Oh I almost got one of those a little while back. Looks good!

15. vikingpillage89Valued MemberMember

Thanks fahn I did see a bit of amonia in my tap water so I didn't dose amonia I'm hoping after days of dosing stability I should start to jump start the cycle man it feels weird doing a freshwater but so awesome seeing greens

16. FahnFishlore VIPMember

If you feel like it, get some ammonium chloride (Dr. Fosters sells some) and get that ammonia up to 4ppm. That sounds high, but once your tank has the capacity to process that within 24 hours, you can stock it a bit heavier from the beginning without having to worry about getting any hiccups from the added bioload.

17. vikingpillage89Valued MemberMember

Ok sweet I will dose amonia tommorw also should I run the light on 10 hours cycles while cycling for plants ?

18. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Start off at 6 hours to prevent algae issues, once your plant mass fills in or you decide to plant heavier you can gradually dial it up an hour per week.

19. vikingpillage89Valued MemberMember

Ok will do and I will keep you updated thank you for the support in my transition into the freshwater world.