What To Do... Ammonia Right Out Of Tap!

TombedOrchestra

Valued Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to switch water sources for convenience (I currently go 6 miles to a natural spring and fill up about 30 gallons every week... )

So, I was hoping to just use my tap water.

There's 0.5 ammonia right out of the tap!!!!

Can I use this and just use ammonia lock? ... I'd say this probably is not the best solution... probably the safest thing to do would be to keep using the same source without ammonia, eh?

WHY DOES MY WELL WATER HAVE AMMONIA IN IT?!?!?!

This sucks!

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello!

It’s not uncommon to have ammonia in your tap; I have 1-2ppm coming out normally and 4+ppm during the summer. If you have a properly cycled tank, 0.5ppm should be processed quite quickly, at most within 24 hours. The trick with water changes are little and often . I usually do biweekly/triweekly of about 30-40% (depending on tank size) rather than a large change at the end of the week. I also find Prime to be helpful as well

TombedOrchestra

Valued Member
Reaction score
KinsKicks said:
Hello!

It’s not uncommon to have ammonia in your tap; I have 1-2ppm coming out normally and 4+ppm during the summer. If you have a properly cycled tank, 0.5ppm should be processed quite quickly, at most within 24 hours. The trick with water changes are little and often . I usually do biweekly/triweekly of about 30-40% (depending on tank size) rather than a large change at the end of the week. I also find Prime to be helpful as well
Well, This is NOT an established tank. This was going to be my quarantine tank. So I just set it up with straight up water... floated some plants in there.

I was hoping to add some gravel and a 'hiding spot' later.

I guess I thought to myself that since the tiny tank was only 10 gallons, I could just do every other day water changes to keep all the bad levels down for a month until I switch them over to my main tank.

Should a quarantine be a fully cycled tank?

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TombedOrchestra said:
Well, This is NOT an established tank. This was going to be my quarantine tank. So I just set it up with straight up water... floated some plants in there.

I was hoping to add some gravel and a 'hiding spot' later.

I guess I thought to myself that since the tiny tank was only 10 gallons, I could just do every other day water changes to keep all the bad levels down for a month until I switch them over to my main tank.

Should a quarantine be a fully cycled tank?
Yes. Quarantine should be fully cycled (otherwise, you’re subjugating fish to an uncycked tank!) And when it’s not in use, you should keep the bacteria fed with an ammonia source anyhow.

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Do you need the quarantine tank Now? If not, add the filter from you QT to your cycled tank for 2-4 weeks, then transfer it over & you should have a jump started cycle at the very least.

I too have ammonia in my source water. 0-4.0 depending. My tank can process it. If my source water is running high I will dose Prime for 24-48 hours after water changing, but it has been fine for me.

TombedOrchestra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Mom2some said:
Do you need the quarantine tank Now? If not, add the filter from you QT to your cycled tank for 2-4 weeks, then transfer it over & you should have a jump started cycle at the very least.

I too have ammonia in my source water. 0-4.0 depending. My tank can process it. If my source water is running high I will dose Prime for 24-48 hours after water changing, but it has been fine for me.
Nope, my fish are doing OK at the moment. Just treated for both parasites and bacteria, all the fish are currently stable. So, this is just to get new fish in the future.

I'll do as you suggested with the filter to jump start.

Thanks

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom