What to do, ammonia is not going down

Fishkeeping7777

So I recently got a new fish Course put them in quarantine to make sure hes safe
Two days later he looks fine I know that’s not a long time but he is a Betta so would be pretty noticeable then I was going to cycle fishless and his main tank but I realized the volume of the tank would’ve been harder so I’ve done many fission cycles so why not do this one plus has tons of live plants but I probably have done five fission cycles so the tank is in is not cycled
It is a fission cycle and it’s a one and a half gallon this is quarantine tank so I realize how hard it’s going to be to keep up the parameters of that small of a volume I have to quarantine fishing up before and fully cycle that tank before is that I just don’t wanna go through all the extra trouble to keep up the parameters he has a 10 gallon divided in half so he gets a five and the other fish gets a five so I was going to put them in his new tank today and of course in the beginning I was going to do a unfish cycle

but of course I put added pneumonia like fish food so I muscle did three water changes one two days ago one yesterday and one today is still showing a decent an ammonia level I really want to put them in there so how do you get it down quickly I don’t want to do 100% water change because I just ran out of some Quickstart

sorry for all the auto correction I’m still pretty tired I use Siri for this so try your best

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 5

ProudPapa

I'm sorry, but that's too difficult for me to wade through and try to interpret. Maybe someone else will be able to.

Fishkeeping7777

I'm sorry, but that's too difficult for me to wade through and try to interpret. Maybe someone else will be able to.
All right let me try to redo this now im more awake so I got this beta recently he’s been in quarantine for two days doesn’t look like there’s nothing wrong with them I’ve been medicating him just in case

already have his tank set up and everything I was going to do a Fishless cycle I added added pneumonia and now I’m trying to get rid of it so I can put them in there I’ve done five fishincycles

in the tank he’s at now I could cycle which I have about two times but it’s a one and a half gallon is the quarantine tank and I really think it’s harder to Cycle that tank because the pneumonia will get higher overtime
Because it’s a smaller volume of water to do fishin cycle

I know there’s still some auto correct because I’m bout to leave soon I’m also doing it quickly

But the pneumonia is not doing good I’ve been doing water changes I put some fish food in there a few days ago cause I wasn’t planning on getting the fish so soon but I saw this little mail at the bottom of the rack and I know people won’t go down on your knees to look at the fish so I pick them up

so I have done three water changes one yesterday one the day before and one today the pneumonia is still high I posted pictures above

so I’m trying to move him into his new tank which is a 10 gallon divided right now he’s in a 1G for quarantine I think his quarantine is good enough so I think he should go into his good tank now he looks healthy he’s been medicated I said I just can’t get the pneumonia down

I don’t want to do 100% water change because I ran out a quick start so I think though it’s showing 0.25 is that safe enough Because it’s gonna be way harder for me to let this tank cycle which is going to be about two weeks to three weeks and having to keep checking on his baby tank to make sure everything is OK this thanks volume is way bigger and will be way easier

and plus I’ve only done two Fishlesscycles

All and all how do I get the pneumonia down

StarGirl

The only way to get ammonia down safely is water changes. You got the fish so you have to do the work. There is no fast way. You just have to do it. You need more dechlor fast. :)

Bwood22

Ok Im going to jump in and make a few recommendations. But I do want to reiterate that your post is very difficult to follow.

I was able to determine that:

Fission cycle = fish-in cycle
Pneumonia = ammonia

Im still not sure what size the tank is but it doesn't matter. I think i was able to figure out that you already know that a larger tank volume is easier to control than a smaller tank.

It also looks like you have completed fish-in cycles before but you are asking how to get the ammonia down because you bought a fish before your tank was ready.

You have been adding fish food as an ammonia source? If you are wondering why your ammonia level isn't coming down i will give you 2 answers the first is obvious.

You haven't grown enough bacteria to convert it yet.

&

Ammonia is still being produced by the fish food.

So if you want to add the fish, clean out the food. Change the water and get the ammonia level down below .5ppm.
If you know how to fish-in cycle then proceed doing so...and use Prime to detoxify the ammonia etc.

If you can't get all the food out its going to keep producing ammonia so put the betta in a vase and do daily water changes on the vase until the fishless cycle in the tank is complete.

Or return the betta, but don't stick him in the tank with uncontrollable ammonia.

Did i miss anything?

JuDom

Did you say that the quarantine tank you have him in has been cycled multiple times?
Once a tank is cycled, unless something was disrupted that removed all the beneficial bacteria..it shouldn’t ever have to be cycled again.
Do you have multiple tanks? Who are you quarantining the betta from?
Anywhere you could take some beneficial bacteria from? IE, a piece of a filter sponge, some gravel, plants or deco from another tank? This helps move the process along.

Also, if I’m understanding correctly..you’re medicating the betta even though you don’t see any signs of illness? I don’t recommend that. Especially if you’re keeping him in a small tank that doesn’t? have a filter/air stone as meds remove oxygen from the water.

Cycling tanks is never fun, for any of us. It’s a lot of hard work and patience and that’s tough when we want to get our fish in their new homes ASAP. But it’s necessary to avoid upsets like this.
Hopefully we were able to answer some of your questions...good luck.

Coradee

Ok Im going to jump in and make a few recommendations. But I do want to reiterate that your post is very difficult to follow.

Im still not sure what size the tank is but it doesn't matter. I think i was able to figure out that you already know that a larger tank volume is easier to control than a smaller tank.

Did i miss anything?

The op says the quarantine tank is
it’s a one and a half gallon this is quarantine tank

Bwood22

The op says the quarantine tank is
He refers to "a main tank" and a 1.5gal quarantine tank.
.... I was going to cycle fishless and his main tank but I realized the volume of the tank would’ve been harder so I’ve done many fission cycles so why not do this one plus has tons of live plants but I probably have done five fission cycles so the tank is in is not cycled
It is a fission cycle and it’s a one and a half gallon this is quarantine tank so I realize how hard it’s going to be to keep up the parameters of that small of a volume....
Then he continues on about a 10gal divided in half and another fish.

So im still not sure about the tank....but i am sure about the ammonia.

Coradee

I missed that bit, we’ll just have to wait for the Op to return & clarify it for us.

ruud

Whatever it is, I'm sure the answer is less complicated than the question.

Fishkeeping7777

So what I was saying I could see that the post is very confusing

First
The fish the tank has been cycled but I had to clean it out because it was a quarantine for some other fish so all the bacteria is gone I added some more
Before I got him I was going to do a fishless cycle

And I added the pneumonia I did three whole water changes I didn’t have that much food and it’s still there I don’t know why I can’t gravel vac because I have sand and I have tons of live plants that are on the bottom of the tank

The fish is fine he’s in quarantine the medication I’m using is just some aquarium salt and
Tiny bit of the stuff that’s good for bacterial infections I barely put any in there mainly aquarium salt

But I wanted to put them in there today because he looks nice and healthy since I got him two days ago so how is the best way to get an ammonia out other than water changes maybe because that’s all I’ve been doing and it’s still there should I do 100% because I just don’t have no Quickstart right now though

And the Betta does have a filter and a heater in pretty soon air pump I just need to transfer it over to air pump that’s in another tank that’s not being used

but that was the question how do I get pneumonia down even though I’ve been doing water changes and still not going down

StarGirl

Do you have any dechlorinator at all?

You have to get the food up somehow or it will keep making ammonia.

Fishkeeping7777

Do you have any dechlorinator at all?

You have to get the food up somehow or it will keep making ammonia.

yeah aip essential

StarGirl

yeah aip essential
Try to get the food out. It's pretty important to stop the ammonia from going up.

Fishkeeping7777

Try to get the food out. It's pretty important to stop the ammonia from going up.
Got more Quickstart and didnt 100% almost water change I have Him acclimating right now pneumonia is zero - 0.25
Never mind I checked again and I don’t understand why his pneumonia still so high I had to put them in his old tank I did almost 100% I even stirred up the gravel a little bit I use flake when I was going to cycle it so it’s no way I can really get it out

StarGirl

D
Got more Quickstart and didnt 100% almost water change I have Him acclimating right now pneumonia is zero - 0.25
Never mind I checked again and I don’t understand why his pneumonia still so high I had to put them in his old tank I did almost 100% I even stirred up the gravel a little bit I use flake when I was going to cycle it so it’s no way I can really get it out
Do you have a gravel vac? Stick it right into the gravel to get the food out. Once the food is gone you don't have to dig in as much. Your ammonia won't go down until you get the food out no matter how much water you change.

Fishkeeping7777

D

Do you have a gravel vac? Stick it right into the gravel to get the food out. Once the food is gone you don't have to dig in as much. Your ammonia won't go down until you get the food out no matter how much water you change.
I have live plants and its sand

Fishkeeping7777

Attachments

• EFE0FC4C-8CBC-4F80-8DB8-3D26496DF5EA.jpeg
    EFE0FC4C-8CBC-4F80-8DB8-3D26496DF5EA.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 0448DB73-250C-4D65-8005-ED2BCF1E0E59.jpeg
    0448DB73-250C-4D65-8005-ED2BCF1E0E59.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 2C2CA076-BE17-4F6D-A3DE-78EBE63AC171.jpeg
    2C2CA076-BE17-4F6D-A3DE-78EBE63AC171.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 5209FDFA-03BB-4370-9FA3-1A5E3A6A3ABA.jpeg
    5209FDFA-03BB-4370-9FA3-1A5E3A6A3ABA.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 9

StarGirl

It looks to me like you can remove some of the stones to clean a little more. Its not heavily planted.

Fishkeeping7777

What are sore to do is take the air pump and move it around to kick stuff into the water and I gravel it out but I can’t touch the gravel or there goes all my sand and I don’t have a lot left and how the plans are there kind of scattered everywhere there’s about 12 in total

And the stones some of them I can move but a lot of Them are supporting each other so if I move on there goes everything all the stones on the right side are yoThem are supporting each other so if I move on there goes everything all the stones on the right Are supporting each other with some of the left I can move

StarGirl

What are sore to do is take the air pump and move it around to kick stuff into the water and I gravel it out but I can’t touch the gravel or there goes all my sand and I don’t have a lot left and how the plans are there kind of scattered everywhere there’s about 12 in total

And the stones some of them I can move but a lot of Them are supporting each other so if I move on there goes everything all the stones on the right side are yoThem are supporting each other so if I move on there goes everything all the stones on the right Are supporting each other with some of the left I can move
I mean the big stones with the plants on them and the house in there....You can pull those out to get a little more stuff out.

Bwood22

If you can't remove the source of the ammonia, which is the fish food that you have been putting in the tank, then don't put the fish in there.

The discussion stops there.

You asked how to get the ammonia down, we decoded your message and told you the answer. I understand that you don't want to pull those things out of the tank but if you dont.....you aren't solving the ammonia problem.
I recommend finding a home for the betta or returning it to the store until the ammonia ...then the nitrite.....goes away on its own....that will take about 4-6 weeks.

Please don't put the betta in the ammonia bath because if you do....in about 5-7 days we are going to see another thread titled "What's wrong with my Betta?"

Fishkeeping7777

If you can't remove the source of the ammonia, which is the fish food that you have been putting in the tank, then don't put the fish in there.

The discussion stops there.

You asked how to get the ammonia down, we decoded your message and told you the answer. I understand that you don't want to pull those things out of the tank but if you dont.....you aren't solving the ammonia problem.
I recommend finding a home for the betta or returning it to the store until the ammonia ...then the nitrite.....goes away on its own....that will take about 4-6 weeks.

Please don't put the betta in the ammonia bath because if you do....in about 5-7 days we are going to see another thread titled "What's wrong with my Betta?"

First off I do have a place that Betta is in qt

The house I don’t have a problem removing the problem is there’s two big rocks in the back that are dragon Stone they will fall and probably take me an hour to redo because they were not easy setting up because I have them at certain angles one is a slanted angle.
will do it to get all the pneumonia out

You know also the thread wasn’t about my fish I don’t think you read all of it because if you did you would realize the fish wasn’t mine and it wasn’t my decision to put it in 1 gallon so before saying something like that please read the entire thread very carefully and I made sure every day that tank was very clean I tested it almost every two days

right now like he is an a clean and sanitary environment the reason I said that is because the tank is small but it’s just a quarantine tank so I’ll be cleaning out the tank every single day to make sure there’s no pneumonia I’m testing the tank right now

Bwood22

First off I do have a place that Betta is in qt

The house I don’t have a problem removing the problem is there’s two big rocks in the back that are dragon Stone they will fall and probably take me an hour to redo because they were not easy setting up because I have them at certain angles one is a slanted angle.
will do it to get all the pneumonia out

You know also the thread wasn’t about my fish I don’t think you read all of it because if you did you would realize the fish wasn’t mine and it wasn’t my decision to put it in 1 gallon so before saying something like that please read the entire thread very carefully and I made sure every day that tank was very clean I tested it almost every two days

right now like he is an a clean and sanitary environment the reason I said that is because the tank is small but it’s just a quarantine tank so I’ll be cleaning out the tank every single day to make sure there’s no pneumonia I’m testing the tank right now
I've read the thread, very carefully....several times. It has taken a tremendous amount of patience to interpret.
But it appears that you are unable to apply the advice given so I apologize that I am unable to help you with your pneumonia.

I'm out.

Fishkeeping7777

Just just did a huge water change and now look at the testing is it yellow I’m low-key blind

Attachments

• DB554ECC-5E9F-4F95-BC32-BFBA9DDF6E19.jpeg
    DB554ECC-5E9F-4F95-BC32-BFBA9DDF6E19.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 84CC723F-4177-4EDD-8226-09FF5F782EA6.jpeg
    84CC723F-4177-4EDD-8226-09FF5F782EA6.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 2
  • C1C3799E-5E81-4DD5-89AC-6A1B986E7101.jpeg
    C1C3799E-5E81-4DD5-89AC-6A1B986E7101.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 2

StarGirl

Just just did a huge water change and now look at the testing is it yellow I’m low-key blind
Looks good see what it is tomorrow to see if the food is still making ammonia.

Fishkeeping7777

So If it’s still good tomorrow do you think I can put them in

StarGirl

So If it’s still good tomorrow do you think I can put them in
I would still check for a few days. Make sure the food is really gone.

Otomatic

I would still check for a few days. Make sure the food is really gone.
Also check nitrites and nitrates for the next few days

Fishkeeping7777

Also check nitrites and nitrates for the next few days
K would 2 days be good or more

StarGirl

K would 2 days be good or more
Yes but you have to make sure to keep it down no matter what. If it goes up you have to do a water change. Other wise you know it will hurt the fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Azedenkae
Replies
Views
Momgoose56
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views