What To Do About Sick Dwarf Gourami?

MoshJosh

Valued Member
Reaction score
So when I got this fish from my local store it wasn’t looking that good to begin with. It was the only one they had left though, and the owner of the store actually gave me the fish for free recognizing that it look like it wasn’t doing so well. The owner had the fish in a tank with some other larger fish and she thought that it was just getting out competed for food, and thought it would do well in my tank where it would be among the largest fish in it. But it still isn’t doing so well, it’s very uncoordinated when it swims, which it has been since I got it, but now it’s getting stuck on stuff in the tank, sometimes just laying on the button on its side unless disturbed. My other dwarfs Gourami are all doing well. . . What should I do?

OurFirstTimeFishy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So when I got this fish from my local store it wasn’t looking that good to begin with. It was the only one they had left though, and the owner of the store actually gave me the fish for free recognizing that it look like it wasn’t doing so well. The owner had the fish in a tank with some other larger fish and she thought that it was just getting out competed for food, and thought it would do well in my tank where it would be among the largest fish in it. But it still isn’t doing so well, it’s very uncoordinated when it swims, which it has been since I got it, but now it’s getting stuck on stuff in the tank, sometimes just laying on the button on its side unless disturbed. My other dwarfs Gourami are all doing well. . . What should I do?
I'd move it into a QT if you can, the only real thing is you need to keep an eye on it and make sure your water permaiters are great, daily water changes will help. Gouramis are known to have issues, I've had 3 in 1 year and all have passed away on me. Goodluck

James105

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It's hard to say what it could be.

How long have you had him in your tank? Have you checked all your water levels etc? is it showing any visual signs of disease such as spots or damaged fins?

MoshJosh

Valued Member
Reaction score
I’ve only had him for a week or 2, fins look ok, so sign that I can see of infection ie no spots, color on his face is muted/silver-grey which is in contrast to his bright blue/orange body. I will say he seems a little gaunt in comparison to the others

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Got a pic. Never buy or get fish that look / are sick is my advise. The seller made his problems yours for free

The colordifference could point towards DGD I am afraid.

clovervalley

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That’s exactly how my DG looked towards the end of his life... there’s a thing called dwarf gourami disease (not sure of the proper name) that tends to affect fish stores dwarf gouramis. It basically just shuts them down after a period of time, and there’s not really a treatment. If it is that, I would just try to keep your dude comfortable and keep an eye out for signs of high stress. You may need to humanely euthanize him if it gets bad. Mine (RIP Reginald) was heavily breathing sideways on the bottom of the tank before he passed away overnight. The other fish didn’t catch it (I think it’s only in labyrinth species but someone correct me if I’m wrong) but I would still QT just in case it isn’t that. Good luck, for his sake I hope it’s something treatable!
Edit: look at the post right below this one for more info on DG disease!
IMG_9790.JPG

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom