What to do about my Pleco

CopperIsEpiK

Hello, I posted in a previous form about my 10gal, and I was told to give my Pleco away to someone with a pond *sad*.
I dont know anyone with a pond, where do look? Darwin is 6 months old (since he was put in my tank) and about 5-6 inches long. I feed him 1 Hikari algae pellet every night at 8pm (when he wakes up).

SparkyJones

I'm guessing its a common pleco type that will grow big" and already getting too big for your 10 gallon?

Look, I'm going to be straight with you, I don't know your financial situation but that fish is going to need 75-80 gallon sized aquarium or body of water at some point and filtration to match that, it's just a fact, it's going to keep growing.

There's options. but first thing is first, get used to doing 30-50% daily water changes this will simulate a larger aquarium for the fish as far as water quality goes, this should allow the fish to keep growing and not get health issues or be stunted. As time goes on you will have to do 2x a day water changes like that or bigger changes or 3x a day changes ect. but the fish is going to outgrow the 10 gallons and there's going to be no way to save it from the eventual collapse, this just buys some time, maybe another 3-6 months tops, before it goes completely wrong and you can't do anything about it.

Now what you can do:
1. rehome the fish, to someone with a pond, or back to the pet store if they will even take him back.
2. save for the next 3-6 months while working hard on maintaining water quality in the 10 gallon for him, and buy an aquarium the right size for the fish, 75-80 gallons or more, even look for used. *not cheap at all really*
3. come up with a DIY pond and filter for your house of 80 gallons or more for him there tutorials for everything on youtube for ideas. *can be cheap, but lots of work".
4. buy a plastic kiddie pool or stock tank (stock tank being the better option and will last longer) of 100 gallons or more, this is around $100 or so. then you'd need a filter that can handle 100 gallons, you can DIY or buy a strong airpump and a couple XL sponge filters. it's not pretty, but it's going to be enough water volume for the fish to grow into, this could be placed indoors or outdoors. not pretty but effective for the fish.

if you did the stock tank, because of a pleco, I'd avoid the black ones, grey or blue would probably be better to still see the fish from above at least.

But no matter what, until you decide the best course of action, you have to stay on top of water changes if you want him to stay alive, the tank is too small for him, it's only going to get worse and harder to make it work as each day passes. If money is an issue, the stock tank is probably the cheapest and strongest option, that, a couple XL sponge filters and a strong airpump for around $100 to push the filters and for around $200 that can work.
A cheap 75g aquarium will run $250 - $350, and that's just the tank, that direction it adds up with filter, lights, ect.

All I can think of, but Again, you gotta stay on top of keeping that 10g clean and water changed until you decide on what to do, that fish is about as big as it can get in a 10g before things turn bad on you.

CopperIsEpiK

Ik. I think hes been stressed out lately. His belly is turning pale, and he isnt as active. I think its because he is so cramped. I wont be able to put a huge 80-100g tank anywhere, even in the backyard..
thanks for your help, tho

Marlene327

Ik. I think hes been stressed out lately. His belly is turning pale, and he isnt as active. I think its because he is so cramped. I wont be able to put a huge 80-100g tank anywhere, even in the backyard..
thanks for your help, tho
Your only choice at this moment is to do frequent water changes for his health. Sounds like he is pretty stressed already, even being around 6" long. He also may not be getting enough food anymore with just 1 pellet. As he grows, he needs more to keep growing healthy. Check with the store you bought it from. Really, SHAME on them for selling it to you in the first place. Many beginners are tricked into the wrong plecos. Get a nice little clown pleco or bristlenose or bushynose, they don't grow so huge and could fit in a 10 gallon. Bless you for loving and caring for him, I know you're put into a difficult position, but he needs to go back. Meanwhile, a WC daily and more food, he'll be happier.

CopperIsEpiK

alright, ill look into it.
how many pellets should i feed him in the meantime?
Your only choice at this moment is to do frequent water changes for his health. Sounds like he is pretty stressed already, even being around 6" long. He also may not be getting enough food anymore with just 1 pellet. As he grows, he needs more to keep growing healthy. Check with the store you bought it from. Really, SHAME on them for selling it to you in the first place. Many beginners are tricked into the wrong plecos. Get a nice little clown pleco or bristlenose or bushynose, they don't grow so huge and could fit in a 10 gallon. Bless you for loving and caring for him, I know you're put into a difficult position, but he needs to go back. Meanwhile, a WC daily and more food, he'll be happier.
Do all pet store workers mess beginners up like that? from what i've heard they really dont know enough/dont care enough?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jake37
Replies
Views
rmperesie
  • Question
Replies
Views
Nuggetthepleco
Replies