What to do about fighting guppies

AlexAttemptsFishkeeping

I'm been thinking a lot about my tank and I just don't know what to do.

I'm fifteen, I have a five gallon betta tank and a 20 gallon community tank. I was given the twenty gallon by my cousins, who bought it for their two year old and followed PetSuppliesPlus worker's advice.
They had two female bettas, a clown pleco, and 3 skirt tetras. They didn't even know they had different types of fish. At the time, I had three male guppies in my five gallon.

I brought the twenty gallon home. With the whole setup, I have 3 guppies (one died, I bought 2 more, and one recently passed), 1 female betta, a clown pleco, and six skirt tetras in my twenty gal, and one female betta in my five gal.
I don't like skirt tetras all that much, but I got three more because I didn't want to have to move the poor things again, and I wanted them to have a good home.

I love bettas, and I love guppies.
My guppies are constantly fighting. Ever since the death of one of my other guppies a few months back, they've been nipping at each other NONSTOP.
Two of them, Laf and King, fight more than the other, but the other fights with them as well.
I have no quarantine tank because I'm not allowed to get another tank.
I don't know what to do. This tank is kind of exhausting me.

mattgirl

Welcome to Fishlore :)

I am not sure what your question is. I've never had guppies but from all I've read about them they can be very nippy. Each male wants to be the dominant fish in the tank. Will you share a picture of your tank with us? It is possible we will see something that can be done to lessen the bullying.

Upvote 0

AlexAttemptsFishkeeping

I can get a picture later but not atm, I'm at school

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Welcome to the forum.
  • I applaud you getting three more skirt tetras to build up the school and make the others more comfortable, but if you don't really like them there's nothing wrong with re-homing them.
  • I'd suggest seeing if you can find a local guppy breeder, or a local fish store that buys their guppies locally, and add a few more. That should spread out the aggression. I said to get them locally because farm raised guppies are notoriously overbred and prone to all kinds of problems. I know I've never been able to keep one alive for more than a month.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Jasminology
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
Jasminology
  • Abrookesi
  • Guppy
Replies
Views