What To Buy, What To Buy...

What should I buy on Live Aquaria and/or Drs Foster & Smith?

• Plants, plants and more plants

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Gold Rabbit Snails

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Hard goods - filter media, backup filter, aquascaping kit, etc.

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Other - please list in comments

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BHK3

I've ended up with $70 in promo gift cards from to spend in the next 30 days. The gift cards are also good at , since it's owned by Drs F&S. They have free shipping on orders of $99+ for live goods, of $19+ for hard goods. I know I don't want to buy fish (I mean, I DO, just not from Live Aquaria...). But I can do equipment, plants, maybe inverts. There's so much I want but I can't decide.

I have a 9g betta tank, a 55 gallon community tank, and a 26g tank for my shrimp breeding project. I'm fairly certain my husband would threaten divorce if I got another tank, so that's probably out. Beyond that though the options are pretty much endless. Should I get $100 worth of plants and finish planting my tanks like I've wanted ? Should I buy a bunch of Gold Rabbit Snails and see if I can get them to breed for me like I've thought about doing in the past? Should I stock up on perishables, hard goods and/or backup equipment? Is there something out there that I probably don't have but you think I absolutely need in my life (I have a Python already, just for the record )

What do you think I should get???

Bruxes and Bubbles

Personally, most of Liveaquaria's plants don't interest me other than the marble sword and the Anubias species.
Rabbit snails are awesome, but at $8 a pop I don't know if I could put down that money for something I was unsure would live or not. Maybe if I could get a guaranteed pair or something, but otherwise...eh.

Hard stuff for the win for me.

Plus if you order now...

image.jpg
image.jpg

JamieXPXP

I have no idea what you should buy lol. I always struggle with deciding this kind of thing XD

stella1979

I think I'd get plants. Reason being, I find most dry goods easier to get through Amazon Prime and the visits to my favorite LFS's, sometimes just because I want to go, not because I need to.

BHK3

Personally, most of Liveaquaria's plants don't interest me other than the marble sword and the Anubias species.
Rabbit snails are awesome, but at $8 a pop I don't know if I could put down that money for something I was unsure would live or not. Maybe if I could get a guaranteed pair or something, but otherwise...eh.

Plus if you order now...

image.jpg
image.jpg

I read you should get at least 5 Rabbit Snails to ensure you get both male and females, but that they reproduce really slowly which is why they're so expensive. And yeah, they sure are!!!

For the plants I'd be leaning heavily on swords, anubias and crypts. Hard to beat 25% off though.

I think I'd get plants. Reason being, I find most dry goods easier to get through Amazon Prime and the visits to my favorite LFS's, sometimes just because I want to go, not because I need to.

True! I usually my hard goods through Amazon Prime though. My LFS is crazy expensive - usually 30% more than Amazon.

I have no idea what you should buy lol. I always struggle with deciding this kind of thing XD

Me too! You wouldn't think it'd be hard to spend money!!!

JamieXPXP

Me too! You wouldn't think it'd be hard to spend money!!!
right? you would think it would be easy but its extremely difficult because you want to buy a bit of everything but don't have enough money to do that

Donnerjay

Well, I already know you picked up some Seachem Prime this week.

BHK3

Well, I already know you picked up some Seachem Prime this week.

That's what got me in this whole situation to begin with. My thought procress while browsing the day on Drs F&S: "Hey, if I'm ordering Prime I may as well pick up some more dog food while I'm at it... oh look, our flea and tick stuff is on sale... may as well get that too. Oh, Free gift card if I order just $15 more? Might as well pick up some more filter media for that 5 gallon tank I've been trying to think of an excuse to set up..."

vikingkirken

Plants, unless you don't have a good plant light. In which case get a Finnex 24/7 SE Of course, using the 25% off flash sale going on right now.

BHK3

Plants, unless you don't have a good plant light. In which case get a Finnex 24/7 SE Of course, using the 25% off flash sale going on right now.

It's reasonable - . I do wish it was stronger though. I'd love to get the Finnex, but I'm pretty sure my husband would not be thrilled after all the whining it took to talk him into the Beamswork though (which I got after spending a ton of money on other tank stuff... I can't believe that light is only $40 now, so annoying...). After the 25% off and my gift cards though the Finnex would be only $40!!!

jmaldo

I was going to recommend a light but... I have raked up some gift cards and 30% off codes. But most times you cannot use them on the higher priced items. They have a disclaimer "Cannot be used due manufactures pricing policies" So what's the incentive? Even mentioned it in a review they asked me for. No response. So check before you buy.

Natalya

Plus if you order now...

image.jpg
image.jpg
Why did not I get this email I wonder! When is it over, do you know by any chance?

BHK3

Why did not I get this email I wonder! When is it over, do you know by any chance?

That sale is actually at Drs Fosters & Smith, not Live Aquaria. It says , "Promo valid through Friday, October 6, 2017 @ 11:59 pm [CT]." Sadly it doesn't work at Live Aquaria (I tried)!

Bruxes and Bubbles

Drfostersmith:

Shipping:

"*Details: Free shipping offer valid through Friday, October 6, 2017 @ 11:59 pm [CST]. FREE shipping applies to economy ground shipping to 48 connecting states only. Additional shipping charges may apply for expedited and air shipments; all orders for Alaska, Hawaii, & U.S. Territories require Air Delivery."

25% off:
"Details: Use Promo Code OCTFLASH during Checkout to see savings. Promo valid through Friday, October 6, 2017 @ 11:59 pm [CT]. Not valid in combination with any other offers. Excludes sale items, prescription items, dog/cat foods, and items with manufacturer-set pricing."

BHK3

In case anyone was absolutely dying to know, I ended up going the hard goods route with my gift certificate. Mostly stuff I'd been meaning to get anyway, along with a few pieces for my shrimp project:

50w heater
Algae scrubber
Seachem glue
Drip acclimation kit
Hang on fish bagger
TDS meter
Backup 125gph HOB
Glass top for my 10 gallon tank
Mesh media bags for my canister filter

Thanks for everyone's feedback!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies