What To Buy For My 10 Gallon

1. Jonathan Stump

Jonathan Stump New Member Member

Notes; first I got this tank years ago and I didn’t know how to decorate an aquarium properly, second the filter is built for a 20 gallon, third I do not use carbon for my media, and last I would prefer not to set up co2 but if I have to I will.

If you have any suggestions please comment them, Thanks !

2. OP
    OP
    Jonathan Stump

Image1529285176.313020.jpg

3. wrs2

wrs2 Well Known Member Member

4. OP
    OP
    Jonathan Stump

Thanks, I have a banana plant that I’m observing for snails, I was planning on moving it to my ten gallons soon, I wanted some Monte Carlo and frogbit, would that be ok?

5. wrs2

wrs2 Well Known Member Member

6. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

7. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

The easiest plants that wont require anything special would be anubias, java fern, banana plant, hornwort, moneywort, amazon sword, pondweed, frogbit, dwarf water lettuce, some ludwigia and some hygrophila. There are probably others Im not thinking of, but those are some really easy plants.

Anubias, java fern, hornwort, moneywort and pondweed can all be left "floating" in the tank. Anubias and java fern are usually glued or tied down OR jammed between some rocks or driftwood.

Banana plants need to be semi-stuck into the substrate.

Amazon swords, ludwigia and hygrophila need to be planted (usually).

Frogbit and dwarf water lettuce are floating plants.

None NEED extra ferts, high light or CO2, but some may do better with a little extra something. Dwarf water lettuce LOVES medium to high light and grows SUPER fast and huge with it. Amazon swords appreciate some sort of extra ferts like root tabs, etc. but neither are required.

If you were to plant the tank HEAVILY, so you had plants touching in all directions, then youd need to be adding ferts, CO2, etc. Especially with a small bioload, which a 10 gallon has (looks like you have 2 guppies and a handful of tetras).

Tossing in 1 amazon sword, a couple of java fern, a couple of anubias and a few small pieces of frogbit or watter lettuce would be a perfect start for your 10 gallon. But again, it all depends on the bioload. If you have a single betta, youll need outside ferts. If you have 10 guppies, 3 corys and a betta, theyd have a big enough bioload to sustain more plants.

8. OP
    OP
    Jonathan Stump

Thanks for the info, I was planning on getting that fluval plant substrate, and I have 3 Pygmy Corys and two otocinclus.

9. OP
    OP
    Jonathan Stump

On addition to the 2 guppies and 5 neon tetras, on addition I do a 50% water change every other week due to the over stocking of fish.

10. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

No need to buy special substrate. Good ole sand works wonders.

And I wouldnt say youre "overstocked". A 10 gallon just isnt preferred for neons as they like lots of water to swim in and they do much better in large schools. My wife (then girlfriend) had 2 neons in a 3.5 gallon in college for 5 years. Live plants, water changes and a good diet and theyll be okay.

11. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

The substrate is perfect for a whole variety of plants. If you're still set on monte carlo some decent light is highly recommended (do you currently have hood lights?), at this point it's just up to you on how far you want to go with a planted tank and how much you want to invest :)