What To Breed....

1. FlipFlopFishFlake

FlipFlopFishFlake Well Known Member Member

So I just had the clown plecos in my 10 gallon breed (don't worry, it was just a breeding tank, not a permanent tank, and I did water changes 3 times a week to compensate) but now that I have sold off the juveniles and returned the plecos to their display, I am looking for something else to breed in the tank, and I wanted your opinions on it. What fish would you buy off a seller on Fishlore? What fish do you think an LFS or a local hobbyist would be interested in? I am more interested in breeding for fun, but if I could get some profit or store credit off it, that would be a bonus.
    If I get enough replies to show that there is a decent amount of people interested, I may consider selling and shipping the juveniles here on fishlore.

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

If you breed a rarer strain of killifish, or had the room for discus, you would be rich...

3. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

Sadly most of the fish i want wouldnt fit in a 10g no less for breeding (and i mean because if fish size... like pictus cats or angels haha).

Cory cats and kuhli loaches are pretty popular and get snapped up pretty fast near me. Ive also seen a lot of people on fishlore searching for dario dario and female dwarf gourami. Cant think of much else rn that will breed in a 10g and have high demand, but ill check in on this topic later

4. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

I would suggest a colony of shell dweller cichlids. They pretty sort after in terms of fish, many that have them mention that a trio or so can put one back $50 or more, but breed rather well.

5. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIII Well Known Member Member

I'd say either breeding a pair of longfin koi bettas, which near me sell for about 50/60 bucks per. You'd make a killing. Or you could breed either shrimps or like one of the comments above said, breed rare killifish.

6. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Diamond tetras. There easy to breed. There also almost extinct in the wild.

7. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Along those lines, cherry barbs also make a good candidate...

8. OP
    OP
    FlipFlopFishFlake

FlipFlopFishFlake Well Known Member Member

Diamond tetras seem really interesting, and the fact that they are almost extinct in the wild certainly is a great reason to breed them.....definitively will keep these and all other suggestions in mind. Thanks so much for everybody's contribution, I am trying to decide now. I have a lot of time to decide though, so any additional suggestions are always welcome.