what to breed...

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by 0morrokh, Mar 31, 2006.

1. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I dunno, I want to breed but I don't want to breed livebearers, I've heard it can kill the females. What other small and easy fish are there?

2. MarcWell Known MemberMember

Heh, that's the opposite case with me - I had 2 males and a female and both males were dead before I even had babies! The female is doing great, too. Holding her own with lots of bigger fish :)

However, as far as I know for easy to breed fish.... Angels are very persistent breeders, livebearers are CONSTANT breeders, Corydoras may be easy to breed, and heck, maybe you should try something a little harder, like Cherry Barbs.

3. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

Well with a ten gallon tank I don't think you can breed really anything anyways sorry. You really need a separate breeding tank(i know this from personal expierence).

Austin

4. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Yes I know this, I'm just wondering what fish would be easy if I had the tank capacity to do it. ;)

5. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

livebearers, all the others I believe you need special care needs unlike liveberaer but you don't want them so I dont konw.

6. MarcWell Known MemberMember

What fish are in the tank? Everyone I've asked has said it's easy to breed and rear Corydoras.

7. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Maybe someday I'll try Cories, I've always wanted them anyway. You can see what fish I have in my signature. There's no room in my 10g for more fish anyway though, if I get fish to breed they would have to be in the new tank I'm getting, and then I'd have to set up a fry tank too...
    One question, what do you feed small fry like Cory fry?

8. MarcWell Known MemberMember

"I had bought some powdered fry food as well as obtained a microworm culture from a friend and it was small amounts of this that the babies were first fed on"

Basically anything for egg-layer fry. I've seen where people have used the liquid fry food, too.

9. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Thanks Marc. I would be seriously tempted to try breeding Cories, except that I will be going to college in several years and when I leave no one in my family can take care of fish, and Cories live too long. :(

Changing the subject a bit, is it really that risky to breed livebearers? I remember someone saying once that you should be prepared to have some losses if you breed them. I would love to breed maybe my Platys, but I love them so much and i don't want to put their lives at risk.

10. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

I guess there is, i'v lost some due to breeding but not my choice they bred, i bought her like that. I heard head and tail light tetras are easy to breed.

Austin

11. MarcWell Known MemberMember

Just make sure that they are healthy and that you condition them properly. Plenty of live foods, veggie flakes, spirulina, etc. If they are healthy, relatively large, and just look to be in great shape, THEN you should breed them. Otherwise you may or may not have them survive.

12. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I think when I set up a new tank I may breed after all. I think I will buy a trio of Platies. Does anyone have any tips for me?

13. MarcWell Known MemberMember

Make sure they are conditioned and be prepared to have space for the babies, be it a breeder net/box or a new tank! It's really simple :)

14. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

How big do you think females should be before I get the male? Is a 5 gallon tank ok for raising the fry?

15. MarcWell Known MemberMember

A 5 gallon is fine. Hmm... not sure how I could really give you an idea of how big... They should be bigger than the males and look pretty big. They should be very thick as well, all in all just bigger than the male guppies.

16. vinWell Known MemberMember

I've had multiple spawns of swordtails with the same female...She's as strong as an ox.

17. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Well, that's good to hear. I'm still not sure if I want to breed. I'll keep thinking about it. The main thing is it would mean not getting all the fish I want in the new tank to make room for a trio of Platys...there's no way I'm going to breed the ones I already have, they're too small anyway (although one of the Guppies did have fry already, she was apparently preggy when I bought her... :eek:)...is breeding really worth it? What do you guys think, is it worth the effort?

18. MarcWell Known MemberMember

It's fun to watch them grow and you really feel a sense of accomplishment when you see how much they've grown :)

19. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Yes, I felt so proud when the 2 fry from my Guppy finally started showing color...and now they're so big... But if I really breed I'll have to give away the fry...and now I've heard that it's risky for the female...well, like I said I'll have to think about it.

20. vinWell Known MemberMember

My problem has become that the LFS doesn't buy or take fish for credit and everyone I know who has fish has no more room for swordtails as I've already given some away to them! The LFS won't even take them for free! I just want someone to enjoy them.

Now, I've got 10 left and need to find a home for them....... ???

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice