What To Add To My 55?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Reef Ventures, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Reef Ventures

Reef VenturesValued MemberMember

My peacock eel recently died that lived in my 55 tall.
    The Current stocking now is:
    2 AngelFish
    2 Bristlenose Pleco
    11 Kuhli Loach
    I was considering getting some more angels from work/LFS
    I was going to get something like Rummynose Tetras but anything that swims around where the angelfish swim that is smaller than them or not another angelfish they bull it because my angels are big butts to most other fish.
    My angels body size is currently about 7ish cm (2.8ish inches).
    We can order angelfish from as small as 4cm and up to 10cm.
    I was considering getting 2 more 7.5cm angels bringing my total stocking to:
    4 Angelfish
    2 Bristlenoses
    11 Kuhlis
    Would this be too much for my tank? I do weekly 50% water changes and have quite a large filter that does 100gp/h and is am going to buy soon a smaller sized internal filter because I want to remove a dead spot in my tank and help a little with filtration at the same time.
    Let me know if this idea would work?

2. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

The angelfish would need warmer water than the BN pleco.

3. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

Bristlenose are extremely flexible with water temperature. I've never kept mine bellow 26c and this tank is currently at 28c so I am not overly concerned about that.

4. aquatickeeper

The highest bristlenose plecos can live comfortably is 77 degrees. Angelfish need 78+.

5. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

I und
    I understand what you are saying but I respectfully disagree. Although that is what we read they can survive a much wider range of temperatures. I've seen BN plecs in goldfish tanks that are even breeding and BN with discus. I have even had my BN in my tanks at 28c for a little over a year now so im not concerned

6. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

Also this thread isn't a discussion about BN Pleco Temperature. It was made for me to find out weather adding 2 more angels to my 55 is ok.

7. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

What are the dimensions of the tank?
    BN and angelfish should be fine together at 76 Fahrenheit, wouldn't do it any higher for the BN though.

8. aquatickeeper

But you do have some stocking issues (IMO) which might make you rehome either the BN pleco or the angelfish. I don't have to mention about adding 2 more angels if you choose to rehome the angels (which you won't). This is a stocking question after all, so I do think it's best to mention any problems in your stocking as possible.

9. James17

James17Well Known MemberMember

You ask a stocking question, then argue with the stocking advice you get.
    If you know the answers why ask the question.?

10. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

What are the stocks issues? I would never rehome my angels as I have had them for so long and my bristlenose for even longer.

11. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

What are the stocks issues? I would never rehome my angels as I have had them for so long and my bristlenose for even longer.

12. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

I Am not concerned about the temperature of my tank as my BN and my Peppermint BN has been living in it for over a year with no issues. Also at my LFS they are kept at around 25c (from memory)

13. aquatickeeper

The BN pleco living at that temp for over a year doesn't tell you how he's liking the temp. You'll have to wait when it has a shorter lifespan.

And 25c is okay for BN plecos, but I wouldn't go higher than that.

14. OP
    OP
    Reef Ventures

How much will being 3c over 25c shorten her life?

15. aquatickeeper

Maybe a few years. But you'll have to check in with Anders247 for the answer.

I would try to keep the BN pleco as long as possible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice