What To Add To A 10 Gallon?

1. Latias

Latias New Member Member

What would be the coolest/cutest fish to add to a 10 gallon tank that would be comfortable and humane. Can one add tiny corydoras (I find them adorable) or one single Betta?

2. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

no corydoras , not even pygmy ones. They need a 20g minimum

A Betta would love a 10g with some shrimp and or snails.

3. OP
    OP
    Latias

Latias New Member Member

Thanks for the quick reply! I love Betta's but their short life span is sad. Betta need aquarium plants and places to hide right?

4. FlutterFish

FlutterFish Well Known Member Member

Celestial pearl danios are cool, endlers/guppies are cool - define "cool" for you and we can pick something out for you.

Most fish need plants and places to hide - it makes them feel more at home and helps them thrive, or make fishkeeping more "comfortable and humane". Also, Bettas lifespans aren't all too short, they live quite long under tip-top care.

5. M

Murderface the fish :P Valued Member Member

I used to keep my 3 enders, 1 black neon tetra and my betta fish in the same tank, a beautiful mix, got along great and looked amazing with them always moving.

I've had a betta live for 6 years, don't kid yourself

6. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Believe it or not Bettas in optimal conditions can live for over 5 years. I currently have 8 Bettas but my very first Betta has been with me going on 7 years now.

Only one problem neon tetras are schooling fish need to be in groups of 6+ and a 20g at the very minimum for them also endlers and Betta not always a good mix because of the bright colors, you might of landed yourself a docile Betta but majority won't tolerate others.

7. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

You could do dwarf puffers they are neat, if you throw some snails they will munch them up or shrimp for a snack. A betta with shrimp and snails in a planted tank would look amazing or you could do a pair of peacock gudgeons in your 10g. Celestrial pearl danios are another option or you could do an all invert tank with shrimp or a crayfish with some snails.

8. M

Murderface the fish :P Valued Member Member

I did move them to my 30 gallon, and they've always got along, the betta fish got a bit aggresive at first but after a day they were all happy, and I just recentally got 2 rasboras and 5 trout minnows from my local river.

9. Kenny777

Endlers or guppys would also be nice.

Rasboras need to be in groups 6+ and black neons also need to be in groups 6+

10. Prism

Prism Well Known Member Member

11. toeknee

toeknee Well Known Member Member

For something a little different a pair of peacock gudgeons with shrimp and snails would be cool.

12. Kenny777

Agree that would look amazing with black sand and background ;) That's what I thought would be the best!

13. toeknee

toeknee Well Known Member Member

haha, I had that exact same set up and loved it. My gudgeons have moved into a 20 but did great in the 10 as well.

14. BettaPonic

BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

15. a

albertagirl Valued Member Member

I have a school of ember tetras in mine and they are super fun to watch. They look amazing against live plants if you're into that.

16. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

CPDs and Asian Stone Mini Catfish are awesome.

17. j

jertan98 Valued Member Member

Endlers would be nice. Theyre colourful but small so they'll make your tank look bigger than it actually is

18. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

Ive had Bettas live to 7-8 years. Much longer than a lot of other fish (Guppies are good for about 2 if youre lucky). Bettas are a great fish if you take good care of them, and they have TONS of personality too. Like a little dog in a fish tank. You can teach them lots of tricks as they are super smart as well. They are NOT the "throw away fish" the pet shops would have you believe. Set one up in a nice tank with some plants, a filter and heater and youll have close to a decade of enjoyment from them.

19. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Betta can live 6-8 years when taken good care of and provided the right environment. Its only 2-3 years when you keep them in some o.5 gallon bowl (and that would be a miracle too).

20. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

CPDs, scarlet badis, endlers, asian stone catfish, green neon tetras, gold ring danios.