What To Add In Snail Jelly?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by luckdown, Apr 14, 2018.

1. luckdown

luckdown Well Known Member Member

I'm planning on making snail jelly and am gathering ingredients over the weekend. I have a variety of snails, including assassin snails so I want to make two different ones.

A veggy one and a meaty one.

Veggy: for snails and pleco
    Collard greens, turnip greens, zucchini, sweet potato, broccoli, carrots

Meaty: for assassin snails
    Crickets, mealworms, bloodworms, brineshrimp, algea wafers, sinking pellets

Not sure what else to add. Help?

2. Fishywife

Fishywife Valued Member Member

Fishfood, black worms, bloodworms, calcium carbonate, apples, banana, strawberries, peas, green beans...

3. OP
    OP
    luckdown

Oooo! I can give them fruit too!? Awesome. I'll pick up some more yummy stuff for them tomorrow

4. Fishywife

Fishywife Valued Member Member

Make sure you add plain gelatin haha. I use organic baby food in mine because I'm lazy .

5. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

You can add some meat into the veggie one as well, and yes, calcium :)

6. OP
    OP
    luckdown

Yeah I got the plain kind lol. I read people use baby food for it, I didn't go down that aisle though, maybe I will tomorrow.
    Okay! Will do :3 yeah need to find more sources of calcium for them. What other nutrients are important for them though? Everything I've read just talks about how important calcium is

7. Bithimala

The calcium and the protein are the two that seem to be hardest to ensure they're getting in the tank, as people either end up expecting them to live on leftover food (lack of calcium/food in general) or veggies (lack of protein). Blending the veggies works just fine instead of baby food :)

8. OP
    OP
    luckdown

Ahh okay. See the protein thing I was not aware was needed for all of them. I feel like the information I've read about snails isn't all too correct then. I mean I have been feeding them veggies and adding extra sinking shrimp pellets to ensure they got some but the pellets were more of to make sure the food would last for them to get not me knowing protein was important too.

Should I just mix the two things I was gonna make into one? I was gonna add calcium supplements into the assassin snail one but maybe it'd be better to just have them be a mix of each other?

I was thinking the assassin snails would be less interested if theirs had veggies in it which is why I wanted to do two different ones

9. Bithimala

And now you've found one of the hardest parts of snail keeping :) There's a lot of bad info out there, I think honestly more than for fish since people haven't viewed them as "real pets" for as long. Not nearly as much history on what is and isn't good.

I don't know if the assassins will go for the veggies - just ordered my first two of these guys yesterday, so no experience on them. You may want to still do the two batches to account for that, but just add some of what you're mixing for the assassins into the other batch as well. Personally, when I'm doing it for my mysteries, I do a mix of veggies high in calcium, some straight calcium with no additives, and then some of whatever frozen cubes I have on hand (usually either a shrimp/blood worm mix or straight blood worms), then of course the gellatin.

This is the calcium I use since it is just the straight calcium. Many have Vitamin D added, which I prefer not to use, as it is very easy to consume too much vitamin D, and we've had some members have bad health issues with their snails as a result. https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Calcium-...calcium+supplement&refinements=p_89:NOW+Foods

10. OP
    OP
    luckdown

Yeah there is! There's so much contradicting information for everything! I feel bad I'm having to learn through trial and error even though I've done a good amount of research.

I know they'll go for flakes and sinking pellets and the algea wafers but I tried collard greens and they completely ignored it. They LOVE crickets. I'm not sure if I'm under or over feeding but my 10 assassins devour 4 big crickets every night

Thank you for the link and the info! That helps a lot. I've been trying to find a good one to get.

Like I feel bad. People were telling me not to feed my pest snails properly cuz then they'll have lots of babies and I get that but. They still exist there, they deserve the same correct treatment as everyone else. Even if I don't want them outside of my pest snail specific tanks I can't just deprive them of what they need to live healthy lives. Even if the end game is for them to be eaten or destroyed. A healthy life with a quick end is better than a life of misery with the same end.

11. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Add garlic and romaine lettuce(Not organic)

12. OP
    OP
    luckdown

Okay! Thank you. Is garlic used for the same thing with snails as it is for fish?

13. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice