What The Heck!!

1. MusicalFish

MusicalFish Initiate Member

Hi all,
    I would really appreciate some help from all of you experienced fish friends. I've had a tank for a while and ONLY know what I've learned online, which is: have a big tank, not too many fish, keep the water levels right, and feed peas for swim bloat.

I've been keeping Fancy goldfish for a few years and was doing GREAT (for me anyway) with my pair who lived for 5 +years before the first of the pair died of Swim Bloat (after living upside-down occasionally for about 6 months). After a few weeks, we got fish #2 a couple of buddies and its been MISERABLE ever since.

The whole tank died off after 2 days! So, I treated the water, replaced most of it, waited till the water was PERFECT (I bought the mad scientist API kit with the vials and stuff), and bought another fish.

He was doing great for about 2 weeks, until today, when I changed 1/2 the water because it was super cloudy. I put in the water conditioner, some Slime Coat, and 3 hours later. I'm holding his gasping little self and trying to feed him peas because he is floating at the top of the tank and barely breathing.

So, First of all, I need to figure out why my water is getting so cloudy! It wasn't a problem with my original 2 fish in the 15 gallon ( then I learned about needing a bigger tank and moved them to a 50 gallon)

Second, why would my fish DIE from changing the water? I put the conditioner stuff in the water, and its not a heated tank, so the water is the same coming in...

Here's the details on my tank, as far as I know them...
    50 gallons.
    Water is in Perfect shape
    filter, air bubble bar, several plants (live...could this be the problem??)
    Gravel on the bottom

thanks all....

2. MommaLake

MommaLake Well Known Member Member

Hi, sorry for your troubles what kind/size filter do you have? And what are the numbers from your water test. Need to know ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Hope we can help.

3. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

did you cycle your tank before adding the fish? What is the size of you filter(gph). What is the stocking currently?

4. OP
    OP
    MusicalFish

Thank you so much!
    Filter 50 gallon aqueon, it has a big charcoal filter in the main section and a little scratchy-sponge thing right before the water comes out

Water numbers:
    NitrIte - 0
    Nitrate - 0
    Ammonia - 0

I had a 1.5 inch oranda goldfish in there and some plants

Tank was cycled before I got this fish (he was kind of a tester fish, poor guy)
    He was doing FABULOUS before I did the water change today.

5. m

mollybabes Well Known Member Member

0,0,0 means the tank isn't cycled(I think)

6. OP
    OP
    MusicalFish

do you think I took out too much water?

7. shiv234

Do you have anything for biological filtration and did you wash the filter in tap water?

8. OP
    OP
    MusicalFish

I will need to learn about Biological Filtration ( I have 4 live plants in there...Does that count? I'll go read)
    Did not wash out the filter - didn't get to that point. Kinda had an over-fill accident and after I cleaned that up, I didn't want to plug anything back in until the power strip dries out. (Then got distracted with the kids, then the fish was dead.)

9. shiv234

well you probably crashed your cycle when you changed water

10. OP
    OP
    MusicalFish

So adding the chemicals to treat the water don't help with the cycle? I guess that makes sense.

So question #2 - that leads me to the constant changing of the water - Its cloudy ALL the time. Like, within 2 days of changing the water. Even when I was in between fish. Not dirty, not green (been through an algae bloom a few times, what a pain), just CLOUDY

11. m

mollybabes Well Known Member Member

Maybe you're over feeding?

12. OP
    OP
    MusicalFish

I don't think thats it. He ate everything, and I only fed him once a day.

My Gravel is like sand, with a layer of regular size gravel over it.... Could that be it? I didn't think so because I figured it would settle eventually, but maybe I'm way off.

13. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

You are going to have to cycle your tank again. I don't know exactly what killed it, but changing the water shouldn't have affected it at all. Maybe letting the filter media dry out did it.

Just search "Nitrogen Cycle" and you'll pull up what you need to know. You should do a fishless cycle now since your guy passed. Once you have your tank cycled again you can get another fish, but only add one at a time or maybe 2 very small ones and then wait awhile before adding another.

14. N

Natalya Well Known Member Member

I had bacterial bloom some time ago, water gets very cloudy and fish are gasping for air, because bacteria consume oxygen. Changing water would not really help, these bacteria grow superfast, as contrasted to beneficial bacteria. For what it's worth, my water parameters were perfect throughout the bacterial bloom, still lost two fish :(

15. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

how many fancy goldfish do you currently have in the 50g?

with all parameters being 0 your cycle probably crashed or never began depending on how long your 50g has been set up. What's the name of the filter? it should say it somewhere on the filter?

do you have any bacteria in a bottle such as seachem stability? it'll help speed things up a bit.

keep a very close eye on those parameters you don't want to harm your fish with ammonia poisoning or nitrITes ect.. you might have to do daily water changes to make sure it stays under control.

16. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

The fish died.

17. OP
    OP
    MusicalFish

No kidding - How do I test for that?

it had cycled through - only one fish was in, no others, so tank is empty now - aqueon filter - I can go buy some I have Tetra Aqua Safe plus. is that the same thing?

18. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

ohhh sorry I guess I missed that part , then in that case you should do a fish less cycle get everything under control before adding more fish.

19. OP
    OP
    MusicalFish

no worries. any advice on the cloudy water??

20. N

Natalya Well Known Member Member

I am not sure if there is a specific test, to me it was obvious, being a microbiologist. It is a white or whitish cloudiness that persists or quickly returns after water changes. If it is green, it's algae bloom. My fish were all gathered around air stone, just trying to breath. Can result from overfeeding or from not quite cycled water. Read up on bacterial bloom, but pretty much they all say that your only option is to wait it out and to try to aerate your fish as much as possible