What The Heck!? Strange Critter In Tank

Ziggy Stardust

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Has anyone seen such a critter? They crawl Along the glass and they have a outer shell... I think... I scooped it out and squished it and it was crunchy. Any ideas? I attach two photos of it one being close up.

Freshwater
1 betta
2 cherry shrimp
3 amano shrimp

baldegale

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
after a quick google search it looks like something called a freshwater limpets, it’s essentially a snail of sorts i think. i dont know anything about them but you can do more research from there.
bb9d404507f9161f47d41651fe590241.jpg

Ziggy Stardust

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
@baldegale
Oh cool thank you so much for looking that up for me it looks exactly like what I pulled out of the tank. I wonder where it came from.....

ELON MOLLUSK

Valued Member
Reaction score
That is a chamber limpet(ferissia clessiniana) they don’t usually get bigger than about 6mm
And will not hurt your inhabitants at all . They are actually quite beneficial as they are a sort of clean up team , they eat algae and detritus. Other than some people’s opinion on them being a visual obstruction they are great because in numbers reaching the hundreds or thousands their bioload is extremely small and almost non existent.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is a chamber limpet(ferissia clessiniana) they don’t usually get bigger than about 6mm
And will not hurt your inhabitants at all . They are actually quite beneficial as they are a sort of clean up team , they eat algae and detritus. Other than some people’s opinion on them being a visual obstruction they are great because in numbers reaching the hundreds or thousands their bioload is extremely small and almost non existent.
And if you look really close, they’re just too cute! So lucky to find a limpet! I’ve only been lucky enough to find five. My finpigs had snacks.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like them. I had heaps before i added denison barbs but they ate them all. Now i have none.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom